Joke on boat leads to four deaths

Statick

Joke on boat leads to four deaths

August 10, 2010 9:11 a.m. EDT

(CNN) -- Four men died after horsing around in a boat on a southern Idaho reservoir, authorities said late Monday.

The bodies of four men were found Monday evening in the American Falls Reservoir in the same area where the men had fallen into the water a day earlier, said Cpl. Leilani Morgan of the the Power County Sheriff's Department.

The search began Sunday for the four boaters after authorities received a 911 call from a child on their boat, said Power County, Idaho, Sheriff Jim Jeffries. The four men were "horsing around," he said. One man was standing up in the front of the boat and another man pushed him into the water as a joke, not realizing he could not swim, he said.

"There were enough vests for all four adult men to have them on. However, they did not have them on," Morgan said.

The victims have been identified as 57-year-old Darrel Shappart, 26-year-old Jared Hale, his 30-year-old brother Aaron Hale and 30-year-old Stephan Verbeck, Morgan said. The men were boating on the waterway Sunday along with five children under the age of nine.

The frantic 911 call triggered a search where rescuers used boats with side-scanning sonar to locate the men in the reservoir, which is about 180 miles east-southeast of Boise.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand how four men died from this? They push one guy in, okay, let's assume he drowns because he can't swim. How do the other three die? They all died just trying to save one person? Do you realize the human body NATURALLY floats even if you can't swim? :blink:

The victims have been identified as 57-year-old Darrel Shappart, 26-year-old Jared Hale, his 30-year-old brother Aaron Hale and 30-year-old Stephan Verbeck, Morgan said. The men were boating on the waterway Sunday along with five children under the age of nine.

Never underestimate the power of 5 kids... :ph34r:

People are idiots. A few years back I remember an ambulance attendant decided to shock a co worker with a difibulator, which naturally enough stopped the persond heart and killed them.

Another workplace story: When I worked at Progress energy someone on an elevator decided it would be funny to hook someones safety harness tie off to a rail in the back of the elevator. So the guy gets off, comes to a stop outside the elevator when his line gave out. Unfortunately the elevator door closed before he could get back on and the elevator started climbing. luckily someone inside was quick enough to realize what happened and hit the emergency stop, or that guy could have been cut in half. I didn't see any of this happen but it was all over the plant in a matter of minutes. #### people are stupid.

Still SMH and trying to imagine if any sort of thought process preceded this tragedy.

Why do you even get on a boat when you can't swim?

Even if you decide it's a good idea to get on the boat when you can't swim, why would you fail to wear a life vest?

Even if you decide it's a good idea to get on the boat when you can't swim and fail to wear a life vest, why would you bring five kids under the age of nine with you?

What would you do if one of the kids fell in a needed to be rescued?

What's the absolute worst thing that could happen? A child dies.

What the absolute second worst thing that could happen? Oh yeah...never mind.

Wonder if these guys were trying to win a Darwin award...

Darwin Awards: A Chronicle of Enterprising Demises Honoring those who improve the species...by

accidentally removing themselves from it!

I don't understand how four men died from this? They push one guy in, okay, let's assume he drowns because he can't swim. How do the other three die? They all died just trying to save one person? Do you realize the human body NATURALLY floats even if you can't swim? :blink:

Which is the point I was trying to make in the thread about the kids drowning in the river. Your body floats naturally, I can't stay at the bottom of a pool or ocean even when I want to.

That's also why they drop babies in a pool. They naturally swim when they don't know and don't have a fear of the water.

Never underestimate the power of 5 kids... :ph34r:

5 future Darwin award winners no doubt

Just because they were stupid doesn't make it any less tragic. I'm appalled that that is the comment. Their lives are over. Their hopes and dreams and futures. They can't be THAT stupid, they survived to adulthood.

One day, you never really know when, every single one of us will be staring up, gasping out our last breath, desperately hoping for just one more moment with our loved ones, and not getting it. That **** isn't funny. Period.

Just because they were stupid doesn't make it any less tragic. I'm appalled that that is the comment. Their lives are over. Their hopes and dreams and futures. They can't be THAT stupid, they survived to adulthood.

One day, you never really know when, every single one of us will be staring up, gasping out our last breath, desperately hoping for just one more moment with our loved ones, and not getting it. That **** isn't funny. Period.

It's not tragic, these are grown adults who know they CANT SWIM and yet they're horsing around on a boat with children on it.

Between them and the teenagers we;ll have a close race for Darwinian Award winner 2010.

I agree with you, it's not funny, AT ALL. In fact, it saddens me when I think that these individuals reproduced, and added to our society, I'm saddened that they were able to vote as long as they did. I'm not one that generally mocks tragedies, but death is part of life, and usually happens before someone can become elderly if they're idiots.

These little games and jokes we play with words, mocking the deaths of others...I suspect it will be significantly less amusing to you if it happens to your son, or sister, or wife, or father....or you. People are callous...but we're all the same. We all die. We all have heartbreak.

I'm honestly troubled by this thread. Humanity is deeply ill.

Idiots. Don't go on a boat if you can't swim. If you have to go on a boat and you can't swim, wear your lifejacket.

Exactly, even if you can swim its still a good idea to wear a life jacket, if your around drunk idiots.

What I think is stupid? What would be the first question you would ask people when they got on the boat? CAN YOU SWIM??????? Thats kind of a red flag alert question. Like if you can't heres your jacket. ;) :blink:

Idiots. Don't go on a boat if you can't swim. If you have to go on a boat and you can't swim, wear your lifejacket.

Do you use the same logic for people flying in planes? I assume you wear a parachute? If not, by your logic, you are an idiot and deserve to die.

Do you use the same logic for people flying in planes? I assume you wear a parachute? If not, by your logic, you are an idiot and deserve to die.

Apples to Oranges.

These guys were out on the boat for recreation and were goofing off. Now, if they were in a plane, and one pushes the other one out of the plane, then the other 3 jump out of the plane to save him, but none of them have parachutes, then we would have something to compare.

Apples to Oranges.

These guys were out on the boat for recreation and were goofing off. Now, if they were in a plane, and one pushes the other one out of the plane, then the other 3 jump out of the plane to save him, but none of them have parachutes, then we would have something to compare.

So does that make the first one not an idiot.

So does that make the first one not an idiot.

If you want to rank their idiocy then sure, he might be less of an idiot, but an idiot nonetheless. If he doesn't know how to swim, and is out on the lake, he should have been wearing a lifejacket. If you want to throw caution to the wind with your life, and something happens, it's your fault.