CBS Rapid Reports tues. 8-10-10

JRid

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

9:56 am The Falcons released an unofficial depth chart for their game against Kansas City on Friday. Listed as starters: DT Peria Jerry , CBs Dunta Robinson , Chris Owens and LBs Stephen Nicholas and Mike Peterson .

9:48 am TE Michael Palmer isn't dressed for practice, along with TEColin Peek (knee). This leaves a window open for more time for recently signed TE Robbie Agnone.

9:30 am LB Mike Peterson (calf) isn't practicing, but is outside watching. He was kept inside on Monday to keep the inflammation of his calf down.

9:04 am SS Matt Giordano is not practicing today. With SS William Moore and Giordano missing time, the only strong safeties available are starter Erik Coleman and rookie Shann Schillinger.

9:56 am The Falcons released an unofficial depth chart for their game against Kansas City on Friday. Listed as starters: DT Peria Jerry , CBs Dunta Robinson , Chris Owens and LBs Stephen Nicholas and Mike Peterson .

Wow! I guess they are feeling pretty good about Peria. Interesting too that they have Owens instead of Grimes.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

9:48 am TE Michael Palmer isn't dressed for practice, along with TEColin Peek (knee). This leaves a window open for more time for recently signed TE Robbie Agnone.

9:30 am LB Mike Peterson (calf) isn't practicing, but is outside watching. He was kept inside on Monday to keep the inflammation of his calf down.

9:04 am SS Matt Giordano is not practicing today. With SS William Moore and Giordano missing time, the only strong safeties available are starter Erik Coleman and rookie Shann Schillinger.

So is Dunta back on the practice field?

Wow! I guess they are feeling pretty good about Peria. Interesting too that they have Owens instead of Grimes.

First thing I thought when I saw Owens on the list. I love Owens, think he's coming along great - but Grimes has really been a standout on the practice field.

Just surprising a little.

10:32 am CB Brent Grimes , who unofficially sits behind CB Chris Owens on the depth chart, had an athletic pass breakup. Grimes has shown improvement but his consistency still lacks. For every athletic play Grimes makes he remains vulnerable to giving up a big play.

so D-rob is feeling good to start this game after tightness in his hamstring???Is it really worth it?

I saw him out there Saturday - asked him about his injury and he said he's feeling really good - they are just giving him precautionary playing time right now.

He seemed fine - no limping or anything - moving around really well on Saturday.

all please remember that that starter opposite of Dunta for our first pre-season game is about as relative as which leaf is greener on what branch.

A couple of series and then Grimes will be in.

IMO, I like Chris Owens skill set, you can't argue with 3 INTs in three games.

10:32 am CB Brent Grimes , who unofficially sits behind CB Chris Owens on the depth chart, had an athletic pass breakup. Grimes has shown improvement but his consistency still lacks. For every athletic play Grimes makes he remains vulnerable to giving up a big play.

Dang, who wrote that? Because that is right on the money.

I really like Grimes and he will make the team again easily, but as a starter? That remains to be seen. Grimes'll get beaten more often than not on routine plays, but then he'll turn around and make a spectacular one.

I've found myself, on more than one occasion, asking how come he doesn't do that on the regular.

I guess this helps explain Owens listed in front of Grimes. I have been hearing and reading a lot of good things about Grimes so it's surprising. My first thought was that this guy is just saying this based on the fact that Owens is listed ahead of Grimes, but this reporter for rapid reports has been to all of our practices so I have to assume he knows what he is talking about.

I saw him out there Saturday - asked him about his injury and he said he's feeling really good - they are just giving him precautionary playing time right now.

He seemed fine - no limping or anything - moving around really well on Saturday.

Great news!

10:37 am LB Sean Weatherspoon is having another solid outing in practice. He continues to execute his assignments in coverage, highlighted by knocking a pass out of RB Maurice Jones-Drew's hands.

Roy in Greenville, S.C., writes: What's the deal with William Moore. I saw he was held out from practice Monday. Is he hurt again, or was that just precautionary?

Pat Yasinskas: Like a lot of NFL teams, the Falcons can be a little tight with injury information. Coach Mike Smith only said that Moore does not have a new injury and was held out as a precautionary measure. He said Moore is day-to-day and I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the practice field Tuesday. We'll see.

Coach mentioned that Moore doesn't have a new injury but he's still not on the practice field again.. let's hope that it's just a precautionary measure..

10:37 am LB Sean Weatherspoon is having another solid outing in practice. He continues to execute his assignments in coverage, highlighted by knocking a pass out of RB Maurice Jones-Drew's hands.

Sweet!

If anything was going to keep this kid off the field week one, it was going to be his adjustment to NFL coverage schemes.

Keep it up Spoon!

Was just doing some research on Ole' Grime-Time :D I didn't realise that he was 27 or that he has been sent to play in NFL Europa for the Sea Devils... I'm glad that a guy who has had such a vastly indirect path into the NFL, has finally made it to the level he is at, with growing stature on a weekly basis

11:17 am Coach Mike Smith on the unofficial depth chart Atlanta released for the Kansas City exhibition game: "It's very fluid and it's going to be changing daily."

11:16 am Coach Mike Smith on CB Brian Williams' importance to return from injury: "I think Brian adds a lot of experience. He understands our defense...The biggest value Brian gives to our team is he can play all five DB positions."

11:32 am Coach Mike Smith on how the defense played: "I thought we played the run extremely well. I thought there were some pickups we need to get better at in terms of our zone coverage and route projections."

11:30 am Coach Mike Smith was asked if he saw a number of WR drops in the morning practice: "I was more on the defensive side. It's very difficult when you have two fields going...I'll watch the tape and certainly hope that's not the case."

11:26 am Coach Mike Smith said CB Brian Williams (ACL), WR Harry Douglas (ACL) and DT Peria Jerry (knee) will not play Friday against Kansas City. He added he expects all three to play in later preseason games.

11:25 am Coach Mike Smith said CB Brian Williams is scheduled to "get involved in group work" on Wednesday, but will not participate in team activities until at least next week.

11:20 am Coach Mike Smith said SS William Moore, SS Matt Giordano and TE Michael Palmer all have groin injuries. Moore's groin injury is the same he sustained during OTAs.

11:26 am Coach Mike Smith said CB Brian Williams (ACL), WR Harry Douglas (ACL) and DT Peria Jerry (knee) will not play Friday against Kansas City. He added he expects all three to play in later preseason games.

So much for what the unofficial depth chart says. I was surprised to read that Jerry was going to start when I first read it. This makes more sense.

Was just doing some research on Ole' Grime-Time :D I didn't realise that he was 27 or that he has been sent to play in NFL Europa for the Sea Devils... I'm glad that a guy who has had such a vastly indirect path into the NFL, has finally made it to the level he is at, with growing stature on a weekly basis

He was an UDFA pickup by the Falcons back in the Mora era...and just plugged away behind the scenes for a long while before his first game day experience...which was against the Cards in 2007 I believe.