Mike Peterson

Smiler11

To my knowledge Mike Peterson has never made it to the pro bowl, yet looking through his stats, he has had some pretty incredible seasons. This is from the roster page...

2005 (JAGUARS)

Started all 16 games for the fourth consecutive season and produced career-best numbers with 190 tackles, six sacks and three interceptions. His tackle total that season ranked second among AFC linebackers and fourth among NFL linebackers.’

2004 (JAGUARS)

Started all 16 games for the Jaguars at middle linebacker and led the team with 178 tackles (102 solo) and five sacks.

2003 (JAGUARS)

Started all 16 games at middle linebacker for Jacksonville after signing as an unrestricted free agent from Indianapolis. Led the team with 167 tackles (87 solo) and three interceptions.

2002 (COLTS)

Started all 16 games at outside linebacker in his final season with the Colts and finished with a team-leading 173 tackles (99 solo), three interceptions and seven passes defensed.

I know a few on here, including me, thought Lofton deserved to make it this year, but I can't believe Peterson didn't make it during those years. Unfortunately these days are behind him, but he still has an important role to play in the development of our young LB core.

The Pro Bowl is as much a popularity contest as anything. Plus, Jacksonville is one of those teams like us.

In those years - he was in the AFC. Not that he wasn't good, but when the guy has competition like Seymour, Joey Porter, Jr Seau, Ray Lewis, Takeo Spikes, Suggs and so on - who play for more "popular" teams and play great - it's hard to see him getting the nod.

Small market team.

Not a hyped player going into the NFL.

AFC is a 3-4 dominant team. Most slots for the OLB in Pro Bowls go to 3-4 OLBs who generate a large number of sacks.

The 3-4 puts a greater focus on the OLB, so it is very difficult for 4-3 OLBs to get a lot of recognition unless they have an all-world type of season.