Dan Klecko might have home in Atlanta.

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- One guy I’m going to keep an eye on during the rest of my time with the Atlanta Falcons if fullback Dan Klecko.

I noticed him in this morning’s session, but it wasn’t really because of anything he did. It was more because I’m so used to seeing Ovie Mughelli as the only fullback that matters in Atlanta. But I think that could change.

Let me be clear: Mughelli’s job as the starter is very safe. But I think there’s room for Klecko. Right now, he’s the only other fullback on the roster. The mere fact that the Falcons have Klecko listed as a fullback and have given him No. 49 is significant.

It all means that the Falcons are serious about using Klecko exclusively as a fullback. That’s been an issue throughout Klecko’s career. In stints with New England, Indianapolis and Philadelphia, nobody ever really decided if Klecko is a fullback or a defensive lineman. He’s bounced back and forth between the two positions (and also had one brief stint as a linebacker) and never has had a chance to master either.

The Falcons signed Klecko in the offseason and I think he’s here to be more than a training-camp body. I think he could get some time as a short-yardage blocker. At 275 pounds (31 pounds heavier than Mughelli), Klecko has the potential to tie up defenders.

One other thing to keep in mind is Klecko originally was drafted by New England in 2003. Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff was part of the New England front office back then. Dimitroff knows Klecko well and wouldn’t have signed him if he didn’t think he could help at fullback.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/11716/dan-klecko-might-have-home-in-atlanta

Dan is a class act...i was at camp last week and i saw him give a woman a ball who got hit in the face after the pass was overthrown to him. He ran over and made sure she was ok, and tossed her the ball that hit her. I thought that was a nice gesture.

I really like Klecko. I mentioned him in a "pick your surprise player to make the team" thread about a month ago. TD is familiar with him and he is a beast. I think TD will be trying really hard to get him on the team, but there is definitely a lot of competition so it will be tough.

I'm glad to see him getting some recognition.

You might also want to consider that they wanted him to learn the plays so that if Ovie got hurt they can call him back to step right in. That would be more of the situation I think than taking a roster spot from another position. Unless they will not carry a LS anymore with soo many guys that can play center 1 or 2 of them should be able to snap for kicks.

I am no professional, but a 275lb blocker with some speed seems like a great way to open up holes for a kick returner.

He's also had time on the defensive side of the ball. So expect to see him on punt and kickoff coverage as well. Actually Klecko is the prototype Dimitroff player. very versatile and excellent on special teams.

Imagine Klecko and Mughelli in Jumbo sets.

Keeping 2 fullbacks is one less spot for someone else.

What other position are you going to reduce?

Heck we were using Snelling as a Fullback and letting him concentrate on being the No.3 RB would be the best, might be No. 2 if Jerious doesn't bounce back. :unsure:

We needed another fulltime FB and that size, should be able to knock a whole in the line. :P

Basicially I think this probably means that Smith and Nance will probably be on the Practice Squad. I think that based on the injury history of NOrwood and the contract situation with Norwood and Snelling it would be a good move to keep both Nance and Smith on the practice squad if they have good camps and preseason.