With Jenkins hurt

wuskillzz

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just about to make a thread similar to this.

With Jenkins hurt, it kind of puts a different perspective on things considering our WR corp at the moment is either coming off injury or unproven. Sure we can all be optimistic about our young guys, but this injury places a bit more appreciation in Jenkins' corner in my book.

With that said, this is far from a devastating injury. It's only 4-6 weeks and by that time it'll only be the start of the season. This is just a chance for our young guys to shine. We've heard a lot of good remarks about Kerry Meier. I think everybody on these boards is rooting for him. He's a natural football player, versatile and may have the best set of hands on the team. Brandon Harvey has also gotten some praise from time to time as well.

What I'm worried about the most is rushing HD and Finn into action so early. Both of them are coming off of severe knee injuries. Jenkins' injury almost forces the coaches to play them more so that our offense does not lose a step. Hopefully both of them are ready to go, otherwise we'd have to see Roddy paired with Eric Weems and that is well..... :unsure:

In short, NO we wont go after a free agent because there are none. Might could try Javon Walker, but why would we even do that? Our last chance was T.O. honestly.

I agree w/thakrunk. I just don't see this staff trying to p/up a WR, unless the injury turns out to be worse than reported, maybe. But their style thus far seems to be build 'em up and coach 'em up. And to the OP, I'm not sure who's even still around in FA that would be worth getting. I don't think Javon would bring anything special either.

Just need to RISE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

We bring in nobody - work with what we have and go from there - 4-6 weeks means Jenkins may be back week 2 or 3 -- I am tired of the team bringing in band-aides (Booker & Horn) that added little to nothing to the team. As far as who is left out there in free agency - the pickings are very very slim.

We bring in nobody - work with what we have and go from there - 4-6 weeks means Jenkins may be back week 2 or 3 -- I am tired of the team bringing in band-aides (Booker & Horn) that added little to nothing to the team. As far as who is left out there in free agency - the pickings are very very slim.

Well Roddy DID say Joe Horn helped him be a better receiver...

why would we?

Jenks injury give more snaps to HD, Meier, Finn etc.

There probabaly isnt a better UFA WR than Finneran out there anyways.

Besides he will be back by week 1-2 of the season likely. I expect HD to start in his spot, and move to the slot w Finn or Meier outside in 3 WR sets.

Well Roddy DID say Joe Horn helped him be a better receiver...

Yes Roddy did say that Horn gave him focus and changed his work ethic attitude, but Horn was signed for 4 years 19 million and let go after one and cost us 7.5 Million in guaranteed money that hit us in the cap. Horn was signed on for more than just to be a mentor.

Yes Roddy did say that Horn gave him focus and changed his work ethic attitude, but Horn was signed for 4 years 19 million and let go after one and cost us 7.5 Million in guaranteed money that hit us in the cap. Horn was signed on for more than just to be a mentor.

Ouch. I totally forgot about that. It's easy to do as a fan, I reckon - when it's not your money.

Yea but your theory of him adding little to nothing to the team is out of whack. Statistically maybe he didnt. I mean who did have good stats that year??????? But longterm there was a hidden benefit that came from it.

You said nothing about money.

Yea but your theory of him adding little to nothing to the team is out of whack. Statistically maybe he didnt. I mean who did have good stats that year??????? But longterm there was a hidden benefit that came from it.

You said nothing about money.

I guess everyone forgets everything in time - Horn on coming back for his second season: He may have spoke to Roddy and made him focus better in his first year but this is how he left the team -- I wonder what kind of benefit he showed the team then?

Flowery Branch — Veteran wide receiver Joe Horn, back from a months-long, self-imposed exile, spent time after practice Sunday running routes and catching balls — something he didn't do during the actual morning session of training camp.

Horn mostly watched practice because he's not fully ready to participate.

"When I left, I didn't study the playbook," Horn said. "My emotions let my study habits with the playbook leave. I stayed in shape, but I didn't study my playbook."

Horn's distanced himself from all things Falcons the past two months because he wants to be traded. The 13-year veteran asked out early this summer after a mandatory mini-camp at which he said he felt he was being put to pasture in favor of younger players.

Horn skipped all voluntary team functions, including six weeks of offseason team activities [OTAs], which are basically non-contact practices.

Coach Mike Smith said Horn, who signed a four-year, $14.5-million, free-agent contract in 2007 after spending most of his career with New Orleans, is expected to compete for playing time.

"There is a negotiating season, a pay season and a play season," Smith said. "It is play season and Joe is a football player. He is out there to compete and win a position on this football team."

Horn has put himself in a tough position to do that. He not only neglected his playbook, but he did not catch any balls from the team's quarterbacks or get overly familiarized with the new front office and coaching regime.

"After 12 years in this league, I know getting acclimated with your quarterback and getting your timing is necessary," said Horn, who caught 27 passes for 243 yards and one touchdown last season. "I didn't come to the offseason program. I didn't come to OTAs and I understand there's a thing called order. You have to come in as the eighth receiver. I understand that. I've got to work my way back up — if I'm here."

Horn, who remains hopeful that he will get traded even though interest has been minimal, continued: "I am here right now and when [wide receivers] coach [Terry] Robiskie and [offensive coordinator Mike] Mularkey feel it's time for me to come up in the offense and start getting reps and making plays, I'll do that."

The ability to trade Horn and the decision to retain him is complicated by his guaranteed, 2008 salary of $2.5 million salary. Potential suitors might not want to pay Horn that much and give Atlanta compensation in a trade. Horn's agent said Horn would restructure his contract to facilitate a trade.

The Falcons, meanwhile, would have to pay Horn even if they wanted to cut him.

Atlanta opened training camp with Roddy White and second-year man Laurent Robinson as the top two wide receivers with rookie Harry Douglas and veteran Michael Jenkins rounding out the top four spots. Brian Finneran, Adam Jennings, Eric Weems, Chandler Williams and Horn are competing for the remaining roster spot(s).

Most of those receivers, other than Horn, have spent the summer learning the system and the quarterbacks and have gotten off to good starts since Atlanta opened camp Saturday morning. Horn said he's happy for his teammates and that even though he wants out, he won't be a distraction.

"I'm good with them all," Horn said. "It's never going to be a locker-room issue. I respect all my coaches. I respect Coach Smith and everybody else. I'm going to come out here and be a professional. If they ask me to go, I'm going to go. Until I hear otherwise, been doing, working my [behind] off and catching balls."

Oh and I was wrong - it was 14.5 million he got not 19 million.

Joe Horn was one of my least favorite Saints and I hated signing him. He was vastly overpaid when no one was probably offering half of what we did.

I think Roddy saying Joe helped is more from people asking "Did Joe help you?" from reporters and him giving a nice answer more than reporters asking "What turned you around?" and him naming Joe.