Late grayshirts a black mark against college football.

SacFalcFan

This article really drives the point home. The habitual offenders (we all know who they are) need to be sanctioned in some way. For all the arguments supporting this due to the competitive nature of the business, this is still COLLEGE football- if players can not get paid or even receive a gift, they should not be exposed to this practice.

Would it not make more sense to simply drop the total scholarship limit and impose an annual signing limit? Pick a number, 20 - 25 per year, and there is no more oversigning or greyshirting. While we're at it let's grant 5 years of eligibility and eliminate redshirts as well.

LHB will have a post tomorrow addressing this topic: No Limit Is No Solution To Oversigning

I have posted on this topic numerous times but I still have no problem with it as long as the players themselves are informed of their role and accept their role. The alternative for a kid like Harrison Jones at Alabama is he would not be signed to play at Alabama and would be playing right now at another program. Instead, Harrison and his family say they want the opportunity to play at the University of Alabama, even if that means delaying enrollment for a year.

I do have a problem with greyshirting if that was not explained as an option to the young man and his family -- apparently that was the case with the kid at LSU. To Les Miles' credit, he granted the kid a full release.

There has never been a greyshirt at Alabama who complained about the situation because they know the deal going in. If kids like John Parker Wilson, Drew Davis, Petey Smith, and Harrison Jones would rather delay enrollment to fulfill their dream of playing at Alabama, then I certainly see that as a more equitable option than arbitrarily cutting players to achieve the mandated scholarship numbers.

And to drive the point further home, John Parker Wilson is a prime example of how it helps some of these kids -- he got a year to mature and develop without the eligibility clock ticking. He then went out and performed well over his next four years at Alabama and is drawing a paycheck from the Atlanta Falcons. Without the possibility of greyshirting, John Parker probably ends up at Mississippi State and, most likely, doesn't get a sniff from the NFL after his four years are done.