Jamal Anderson (RB) highlights I found on youtube

'pa_falcon_fan' date='08 August 2010 - 11:19 AM'

I haven't seen Jamal Anderson highlights in forever so I had to share when I found some on YouTube. I forgot how brutal of a RB he was at times, and it makes me smile that we have a back like him again in Michael Turner.

He was one he11 of a RB in his day. When we had Tony Martin to stretch the field and take the safety out of the box our offense was unstoppable with the play action.

He was one he11 of a RB in his day. When we had Tony Martin to stretch the field and take the safety out of the box our offense was unstoppable with the play action.

If he hadn't blown out his knee Anderson could have been our RB for another 5-6 years. It is a shame that the two best young RBs of 98 (Anderson and Terrel Davis) saw their promising careers come to an end because of knee injuries.

It is also a shame that our ownership at the time choose to let Martin go rather than bring him back. That decision sent us into a spiral at WR that took nearly a decade to correct.

O.J. Santiago created the Dirty Bird I believe. But JA made it what it is today.

No. Jamal created the Dirty Bird. O.J. was the first to do it. In the NE blow out that year. Like someone said earlier, not the same as Jam's but I loved the squawking he did.

White Shoes made the first Bird move in the early 80s. Hebert did a Bird run through the SuperDome in the early 90s. Jam brought it all together in 98.

Almost every player has their own version, but Jam has the original Dirty Bird. A kind of Ickey Shuffle. You can see from the video above in the MIN game at least three different versions.

You can see the Terrance Mathis baby bird, the Tony Martin Chicken Hop, the Toebeck Falcon Swoop. Dan Reeves has the Americus chicken scratch. Of course there's the Morton Andersen Super Bowl glide.

Jam created The Dirty Bird though. Make no mistake about it.

Edited by FalconFanSince1970

I wish I could have witnessed him play. Out of all out tail backs I didn't get to see, he's the one I know the most.

He was fun to watch. Power runner, with a quick change of direction. Gave the defender nothing but helmet, shoulder pad and knees. Also had a brutal stiff arm. Could catch the ball out of the backfield.

Like Andrews, Jam didn't have the benefit of modern medicine and rehab. Career cut short after two ACL injuries. Some rate Riggs higher, and arguably so, but he is second in my top Five All Time Falcon RBs:

1. William Andrews

2. Jamal Anderson

3. Gerald Riggs

4. Warrick Dunn

5. Dave Hampton

He was fun to watch. Power runner, with a quick change of direction. Gave the defender nothing but helmet, shoulder pad and knees. Also had a brutal stiff arm. Could catch the ball out of the backfield.

Like Andrews, Jam didn't have the benefit of modern medicine and rehab. Career cut short after two ACL injuries. Some rate Riggs higher, and arguably so, but he is second in my top Five All Time Falcon RBs:

1. William Andrews

2. Jamal Anderson

3. Gerald Riggs

4. Warrick Dunn

5. Dave Hampton

Never saw Hampton, he was before my time, but out of the other four my least favorite was Warrick Dunn. The guy just never impressed me because of his size. If he was 210-220 lbs he probably would have been one of the greatest RBs in the NFL but at his size he never inflicted punishment on the defenders like Andrews, Anderson and Riggs.

1. William Andrews

2. Jamal Anderson

3. Gerald Riggs

4. Warrick Dunn

5. Dave Hampton

I'll take Michael Turner over Dave Hampton, but that's just me.

Same here. I know he was the Falcons' first 1,000 yard rusher, but that 3.9 YPC average leaves something to be desired.Maybe FFS1970 can educate us as to why Hampton was such a superior RB to Michael Turner.

Hampton played on some sorry offenses from 72-76. No Oline. Four different QBs. No WRs. Hampton was it. First 1,000 yard Falcon rusher in a gallant effort. Stopped the game and gave him a game ball. Put him back in a couple plays later and got tackled behind the line to erase his 1,000 yard season. Awful.

Ironically some of those teams had incredible defenses. Especially pass defenses. 4-3 killin machines. No kidding folks. Claude and Zook off the edge. Tilleman at DT. Nobis racking up 300 tackles a year at MLB. Reaves, Brown and Lawrence roaming the secondary. Scary. No QB liked to play us back then. To me the best Falcon pass defense era ever.

Coop,

A couple more things I remember about Hamp. Dude was way better than Turner catching balls out of the backfield. From sorry QBs. He also was a decent kick returner.

They both came here from other teams. Hamp from GB and the Burner from SD. Both were similar. Straight ahead runners with decent speed.

Like I said, Turner could move up the list, but I need at least 1-3 more seasons out of him before he moves into my top 5 all time Falcon RB list.

Coop,

A couple more things I remember about Hamp. Dude was way better than Turner catching balls out of the backfield. From sorry QBs. He also was a decent kick returner.

They both came here from other teams. Hamp from GB and the Burner from SD. Both were similar. Straight ahead runners with decent speed.

Like I said, Turner could move up the list, but I need at least 1-3 more seasons out of him before he moves into my top 5 all time Falcon RB list.

Fair enough.

I have seen NFL Films footage of Hampton in the past and my recollection of those viewings was that he fell into that "solid, not spectacular" tier of RBs. My memories may not be entirely accurate, but that's all I got to go on at this point.

As for Turner, I think his rare combination of power, quickness and speed puts him on another level and, based on his current rate of production with this team, he should easily surpass Hampton's franchise yards from scrimmage total sometime in the next couple of years (It's not a stretch at all to say he could accomplish that feat as soon as this upcoming season.) Turner already has Hampton beat in every other statistical category for RBs.

Personally, I have no problem saying right now that Turner is the third best RB in Falcons history behind Andrews and Riggs. It's only a matter of time before the numbers catch up to the talent being displayed on the field.

Edited by cooperbh

1. William Andrews

2. Jamal Anderson

3. Gerald Riggs

4. Warrick Dunn

5. Dave Hampton

I would go

1. William Andrews

2. Micheal Turner

3. Gerald Riggs

4. Jamal Anderson

5. Warrick Dunn

6. Micheal Vick

7. Dave Hampton

I would go

1. William Andrews

2. Micheal Turner

3. Gerald Riggs

4. Jamal Anderson

5. Warrick Dunn

6. Micheal Vick

7. Dave Hampton

:lol:

Still, though... that might be an affront to Dave Hampton. I don't know, cause I wasn't watching back then, but I imagine 70 will have something to say about it.