Trust me, we have a problem an the Wide reciever postion.

I AM 51

I was under a different posting name, but I was the one who many years ago started the "I think we can all agree on hall" thread. I said Hall was overrated and overpaid. I was called stupid among other things, but I was right, and he was gone within two years. So, why do I mention this, because I am giving you all a heads up on why we will not reach the superbowl. I have been argued with on this here, but I still say, we do not have good enough wide recievers to win much of anything. Say what you want, but come November, and I will gladly be wrong, Ryan will have thrown more balls away to avoid sacks than anyone else. He will also have not many down field completions. Why? Because since Tony Martin left, we have never addressed this position.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under a different posting name, but I was the one who many years ago started the "I think we can all agree on hall" thread. I said Hall was overrated and overpaid. I was called stupid among other things, but I was right, and he was gone within two years. So, why do I mention this, because I am giving you all a heads up on why we will not reach the superbowl. I have been argued with on this here, but I still say, we do not have good enough wide recievers to win much of anything. Say what you want, but come November, and I will gladly be wrong, Ryan will have thrown more balls away to avoid sacks than anyone else. He will also have not many down field completions. Why? Because since Tony Martin left, we have never addressed this position.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. We have a pro bowl #1, a #2 with decent production, comparable to other #2's in the league, a slot guy in Douglas thats got lots of upside, the best pass catching tight end in football, and a ton of promising talent. I say we're better than most teams as far as receivers go.

Then why oh why does Ryan have to scramble and throw away so many balls. It would seem to be that recievers are not open. If they were, surely a qb as good as Ryan would throw it to them. Falcon's receivers cannot get seperation.

Something like that you have to look at the play calling all that is on Mularkey. As far as Jenkins he rarely gets open so Ryan can't even look over there, then when he finally does get open he drops everything.

Tony Martin was last affiliated with us in 2001. So you dont think that us picking a WR in the first round, in 2 consecutive years (2004/2005), is adressing a position? <_< :wacko:

EDIT: Not to mention the pletora of WR's we seem to have on our roster atm :lol:

Results on the field say no.

Then why oh why does Ryan have to scramble and throw away so many balls. It would seem to be that recievers are not open. If they were, surely a qb as good as Ryan would throw it to them. Falcon's receivers cannot get seperation.

Could it be because with Douglas, Turner and Norwood hurt, the defenses could cheat in secondary coverage? Hmmm?

So, why do I mention this, because I am giving you all a heads up on why we will not reach the superbowl. I have been argued with on this here, but I still say, we do not have good enough wide recievers to win much of anything.

You're right, We need to trade for Austin Collie and Pierre Garson. Now those are receivers that you need to make it the Superbowl! :blink: Not!

You're right, We need to trade for Austin Collie and Pierre Garson. Now those are receivers that you need to make it the Superbowl! :blink: Not!

Ok, Ok, dismiss me, but remember when Ryan has another sub par year because he has to throw the ball away so many times, instead of throwing to open recievers, I told you.

Guest Gritz

I have been conditioned by this message board to stick my fingers in my ears and yell "BLAH BLEH BLAH" anytime I read or hear anyone say "Trust me..."

Maybe that's just me.

Ok, Ok, dismiss me, but remember when Ryan has another sub par year because he has to throw the ball away so many times, instead of throwing to open recievers, I told you.

[/quote

This is a winning team. Predict something positive and

you are more likely to be right. TD has been working on

every phase of our personnel and wr has not been overlooked.

I certainly respect your veiws since you have been posting since February, 2010. Just about the time the Saints were given the Super Bowl win.

You obviously have a keen eye for NFL football talent and like many other Falcons fans we look forward to your other obvservations on the Falcons progress with great eagerness.

Edited by TeamPlayer1

Tony Martin was last affiliated with us in 2001. So you dont think that us picking a WR in the first round, in 2 consecutive years (2004/2005), is adressing a position? <_< :wacko:

EDIT: Not to mention the pletora of WR's we seem to have on our roster atm :lol:

That's exactly what I thought when I read this.

Results on the field say no.

Not really sure what you expect from #2's and 3's. Jenkins has been bad the majority of his career, I'll admit to that. However, Ryan's rookie year he had around 60 catches and 800 yards. That's pretty solid for any number two. Douglas had 30 catches his rookie year, but was sidelined last year. Even if he isn't quite on par with his rookie season he's still a solid number three. From there on we have plenty of depth to choose from.

As far as I can tell, though, you're expecting our receivers to have numbers like New England's receivers get. Completely unrealistic considering the offensive scheme we use and the one they use are complete opposites.

We WILL struggle if our only big passing threats are Gonzo and White, from what I have seen in camp so far, I am looking and I am pretty sure the coaches are looking for HD to become a slot threat which will open up even more play possibilities with the personal that we have. In addition I have noticed Ovie mughelli gettin thrown to a TON out of the backfield. Dunno if this means anything new in the offense as far as new wrinkles or plays, but Ovie has pretty good hands from what I have seen and he has the body size to protect the catch pretty well from the DB just by sitting down in a soft spot in the zone and using his back to block out the DB from defensing the pass. Bottom line is we need somebody else to step up big in the receiving core, A healthy run game will help lots but you must have at least 3 legit downfield threats. That said....

1atlanta-falcons-helmet-logo.jpg

You're right about that!

GO FALCONS!!!

RISE UP!!!