Tired of the Michael Jenkins negativity

Izo#2883

First a small presentation of various numbers.

#1 WR Roddy White

Was targeted 164 times, made 85 catches (catch percentage is 51.8) of whom 6 was decided to be dropped passes. Had he dropped no passes, the catch percentage would have been 55.5%.

#2 WR Michael Jenkins

Was targeted 90 times, made 50 catches (catch percentage is 55,8) of whom 7 passes was decided to be dropped passes. Had he dropped no passes the catch percentage would have been 63.3%.

If our QB at any point decides to throw the ball to White, the chance of succes would be 55.5%. Should they decide to throw the ball to Jenkins, the chance of succes would be 63.3%. Now based on this, I could state that Jenkins is a better target than White, right?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>>

Now, I cant find the post where Tandy had the QB completage percent to different WR's. Nor can I find a stat over each WR's passes recieved on 1st-4th down, and converted to 1st downs. I somehow think we need to take these numbers into account.

My personal oppinion is:

- We need Jenkins in our current offensive system and that cutting him isnt an option.

- We currently dont have a player who is able to take on the role of a #2 WR (despite the display from Meier AND the return of Douglas)

- That replacing Jenkins will only be a viable discussion in the 2011 season.

Im a big fan of seeing the games myself, and from that derive what I hold to be true, and at the same time I think that statistics can be skewed and distorted lies. But what are we to discuss and substantiate what we hold to be true, if not using said lies ^^?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First a small presentation of various numbers.

#1 WR Roddy White

Was targeted 164 times, made 85 catches (catch percentage is 51.8) of whom 6 was decided to be dropped passes. Had he dropped no passes, the catch percentage would have been 55.5%.

#2 WR Michael Jenkins

Was targeted 90 times, made 50 catches (catch percentage is 55,8) of whom 7 passes was decided to be dropped passes. Had he dropped no passes the catch percentage would have been 63.3%.

If our QB at any point decides to throw the ball to White, the chance of succes would be 55.5%. Should they decide to throw the ball to Jenkins, the chance of succes would be 63.3%. Now based on this, I could state that Jenkins is a better target than White, right?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>>

Now, I cant find the post where Tandy had the QB completage percent to different WR's. Nor can I find a stat over each WR's passes recieved on 1st-4th down, and converted to 1st downs. I somehow think we need to take these numbers into account.

My personal oppinion is:

- We need Jenkins in our current offensive system and that cutting him isnt an option.

- We currently dont have a player who is able to take on the role of a #2 WR (despite the display from Meier AND the return of Douglas)

- That replacing Jenkins will only be a viable discussion in the 2011 season.

Im a big fan of seeing the games myself, and from that derive what I hold to be true, and at the same time I think that statistics can be skewed and distorted lies. But what are we to discuss and substantiate what we hold to be true, if not using said lies ^^?

Show the stats of drops in critical situations like for TD's and First downs. Also if you can find how many tip 6 INT's they both caused. Jenkins has the disease that Brian Finneran used to have. See Finn couldn't catch a thing unless it was sportcenter top 10 worthy. Jenkins most memorable catches are those top 10 sportscenter type. Unfortunately some of the balls that should easily be caught by people who work at Mc Donalds are dropped by Jenkins. Does he serve a purpose on the team? Yes. Could Jenkins lose playing time to Douglas and Meier? Yes.

Jenkins deserves every bit of crticism he gets as well do all of our players when they don't perform their best.

So White, with a drop percentage of 3.66% is not as good an option as Jenkins with a drop percentage of 7.78%?

You don't think White probably draws more defensive attention?

How about this statistic? Since Michael Jenkins entered the NFL, there has been 1005 100 yard receiving games. Michael Jenkins has accounted for ZERO of them. Some names who have?

Cedric Wilson

David Terrell

Onterrio Smith (RB)

Keary Colbert

Derrick Armstrong (who?)

Ernest Wilford

Scott Vines

Frisman Jackson

Chris Baker (a TE noted for his blocking!)

Ruvell Martin

...I could go on and on. He's subpar.

So White, with a drop percentage of 3.66% is not as good an option as Jenkins with a drop percentage of 7.78%?

How about this statistic? Since Michael Jenkins entered the NFL, there has been 1005 100 yard receiving games. Michael Jenkins has accounted for ZERO of them. Some names who have?

Cedric Wilson

David Terrell

Onterrio Smith (RB)

Keary Colbert

Derrick Armstrong (who?)

Ernest Wilford

Scott Vines

Frisman Jackson

Ruvell Martin

yep

Cedric Wilson

David Terrell

Onterrio Smith (RB)

Keary Colbert

Derrick Armstrong (who?)

Ernest Wilford

Scott Vines

Frisman Jackson

Ruvell Martin

that is awesome and hilarious, actually now i'm sad, because i know stinkins will be on the team this year and somebody else will claim a guy off waivers from us that will outperform stinkins this year.

Please, fellow Falcons Fans! It doesn't matter if it is Michael Jenkins, Brian Finneran or or any other player: Life is a constant upgrade!

The Falcons should put the best 53 players on the roster with no emotion and no sentimentality. Just the best players at their position and first class backups!

Smitty and TD should not have any other goal!

Show the stats of drops in critical situations like for TD's and First downs. Also if you can find how many tip 6 INT's they both caused. Jenkins has the disease that Brian Finneran used to have. See Finn couldn't catch a thing unless it was sportcenter top 10 worthy. Jenkins most memorable catches are those top 10 sportscenter type. Unfortunately some of the balls that should easily be caught by people who work at Mc Donalds are dropped by Jenkins. Does he serve a purpose on the team? Yes. Could Jenkins lose playing time to Douglas and Meier? Yes.

Jenkins deserves every bit of crticism he gets as well do all of our players when they don't perform their best.

I have no idea if there is a stat for "critical drops" or "tips for 6", but I will see what I can find.

The amount of popularity seems to have an impact on the amount, or level, of criticism a player get when he is not performing. We will never judge players who perform bad equally, but wouldnt it be refreshing if we did? The bars we judge from is the reason the criticism differ imo.

He's subpar.

Well to answer your question, I do think White is as good an option as Jenkins. I think he is a better option based on that very number you put up since he had some 74 more attempts to possibly drop than Jenkins.

Regarding the defensive attention, I really have no idea if White draws more attention. Every defense we play have a potential 11 players they need to account for, but my best guess would be that yes, he does attract more attention.

And finally Michael Jenkins does'nt have a 100 yard game. But since when has having a 100 yard game meant that you were'nt subpar? I could take any name you have on that list and I still wouldnt know if they were any good. Its safe to say they havent recieved much hype, cause I sure as heck dont know half of em :lol:

Please, fellow Falcons Fans! It doesn't matter if it is Michael Jenkins, Brian Finneran or or any other player: Life is a constant upgrade!

The Falcons should put the best 53 players on the roster with no emotion and no sentimentality. Just the best players at their position and first class backups!

Smitty and TD should not have any other goal!

exactly, and they have already said the best players will play.

I have no idea if there is a stat for "critical drops" or "tips for 6", but I will see what I can find.

But since when has having a 100 yard game meant that you were'nt subpar? I think your grasping on the latter.

i bet you will find that stinkins has more assits than he does TD's for himself.

i think you are grasping at...something.

look, we have 4 pre-season games starting next weekend. i am very confident that jenkins will be outplayed in all four of them by the 5 guys i keep saying should make the roster over him. that should be all the evidence you need. for now wait and see. jenkins might be held out for pre-cautionary measures this friday, but i think he can and should play to showcase his talent for the inept chiefs.

Who's talking about cutting MJ.I think people just want a upgade.

i bet you will find that stinkins has more assits than he does TD's for himself.

i think you are grasping at...something.

look, we have 4 pre-season games starting next weekend. i am very confident that jenkins will be outplayed in all four of them by the 5 guys i keep saying should make the roster over him. that should be all the evidence you need. for now wait and see. jenkins might be held out for pre-cautionary measures this friday, but i think he can and should play to showcase his talent for the inept chiefs.

Thats 1 ^_^

Jenkins is a respectable but typical #2 WR with 50 catches. The problem is when Roddy and Tony are locked up Jenkins has not been a difference maker and the ball typically is thrown away. Some of that is Ryan being a bit conservative but most of the time I am watching it live and seeing the whole field Jenkins is not getting open in single coverage.

So yeah, Jenkins is a pretty decent WR but he is not in the elite category of tandem WR's. That is where the Falcons need to be to win it all, not decent but one of the most feared tandem's in the league. He's going into his 7th year, he's not the answer but is holding things steady for hopefully Douglas or even Meier to step up somewhere between this year and more than likely next.

Until they take his Falcons jersey away, I'll still be pulling for him. We all know he's got it in him to do it. Maybe not as consistently as we'd like, but I can remember at least 3 big plays over the years. Is that enough? Maybe not. But we don't need to be bashing on him either, IMO. We have some good prospects. Let them take his job.

Until they take his Falcons jersey away, I'll still be pulling for him. We all know he's got it in him to do it. Maybe not as consistently as we'd like, but I can remember at least 3 big plays over the years. Is that enough? Maybe not. But we don't need to be bashing on him either, IMO. We have some good prospects. Let them take his job.

Jenks alone cost us two games thanks to his dropped passes, Sorry if I am not necessarily on his side.

Jenks alone cost us two games thanks to his dropped passes, Sorry if I am not necessarily on his side.

Denver game 08, White dropped a pass in the endzone. Thats one game he lost us. Were you on his side afterwards, or are you using double standards?

Denver game 08, White dropped a pass in the endzone. Thats one game he lost us. Were you on his side afterwards, or are you using double standards?

I am sure I was pretty ticked off, but Roddy has Pro Bowls to his name,and he definitely made us for that, what does Jenkins have to his name? Draft bust?

Edited by MattIceRyanMVP2

meier has shown excellant hands which will be a revelation at #2 WR and he blocks too so its not like we would miss jenkins that much. meier has shown the abilty to find the soft spots when he was not the primary reciever which would be the case behind white and gonzalez. more than anything, he is going to surprise some people with his toughness. when i watch his college footage, i see a WR that dishes it out and knows how to protect his body.

wolfe will be a good back up with his YAC ability, and harvey will be a good back up with his ability to get open and catch.

1-white

2-meier

3-douglas

4-wolfe

5-harvey

three rookies may be a lot, but these guys are more talented than booker, finneran, and weems which were our 3, 4, and 5 last year.

i love fin, but i would hate to lose a young talent to keep him just a little too long. we almost lost snelling and walker and for what? who did we keep over snelling in 07? did it matter? snelling is a badass now and arguably our #2 RB. i was so pissed when they cut him. we need to set final roster with future in mind as well as the best 53 guys for 2010.

meier has shown excellant hands which will be a revelation at #2 WR and he blocks too so its not like we would miss jenkins that much. meier has shown the abilty to find the soft spots when he was not the primary reciever which would be the case behind white and gonzalez. more than anything, he is going to surprise some people with his toughness. when i watch his college footage, i see a WR that dishes it out and knows how to protect his body.

wolfe will be a good back up with his YAC ability, and harvey will be a good back up with his ability to get open and catch.

1-white

2-meier

3-douglas

4-wolfe

5-harvey

three rookies may be a lot, but these guys are more talented than booker, finneran, and weems which were our 3, 4, and 5 last year.

i love fin, but i would hate to lose a young talent to keep him just a little too long. we almost lost snelling and walker and for what? who did we keep over snelling in 07? did it matter? snelling is a badass now and arguably our #2 RB. i was so pissed when they cut him. we need to set final roster with future in mind as well as the best 53 guys for 2010.

I think that was Dunn dedication, no? But yes, I was disappointed he (Snelling) didn't make the roster too. Meier seems special. I really think he's going to make the team. I will be disappointed if he doesn't. I don't know about your lineup above, though. I just don't see the coaches going w/that many rookies. They're more likely to go w/experienced vets, even if that means keeping Jenkins around. Who knows? Maybe he'll be better now that he's really - clearly - going to be fighting for his job.

I am sure I was pretty ticked off, but Roddy has Pro Bowls to his name,and he definitely made us for that, what does Jenkins have to his name? Draft bust?

i remember that distinctly. i was pissed at roddy, and i have been numerous times for that same reason. that is why it is stupid to compare jenkins to white as far as consistancy and drops. compare jenkins to gonzalez.

roddy has put up the numbers and reduced the drops and inconsistancy. stinkins has not.

look for a highlight reel of jenkins on youtube, if you even find one, how many catches are ones where he sat down in a soft spot, or found a crease? he does not excel as #2 WR because he lacks the intangibles and he will never have them. he runs the route he is supposed to and when the other two are shut down he is too. i bet most of his receptions are on plays designed to go to him.

I think that was Dunn dedication, no? But yes, I was disappointed he (Snelling) didn't make the roster too. Meier seems special. I really think he's going to make the team. I will be disappointed if he doesn't. I don't know about your lineup above, though. I just don't see the coaches going w/that many rookies. They're more likely to go w/experienced vets, even if that means keeping Jenkins around. Who knows? Maybe he'll be better now that he's really - clearly - going to be fighting for his job.

no i think it was artose pinner that won the spot that should have been snellings. as it turned out snelling was signed to keep dallas if memory serves correct from signing him, and he ended up with about the same yards as pinner who never played in the NFL again.

i've seen enough of stinkins already to know that, take it dennis green, "they are who we thought they were, you want to crown em, crown their azz, but we let em off the hook. they are who" thats enough dennis, i just wanted you to say that jenkins is who we know him to be and the same will be true for JA98.

Edited by millenium falcon

I like Jenkins.. he does his job

what is "his job" and what does he do to fulfill that role?

if his job is NOT catching the ball when we need it most, tipping it to defenders, staying covered and forcing throw aways, and disappearing for long stretches, then yes, he does his job.

if you say his job is blocking, i will point out that we sometimes put a third OT in for goal line situations, and HIS job is blocking, but i do not consider that THE job of a starting WR.