Not impressed with meier

gcjakesta85

Is it just me, or does Meier look very slow? I mean I know he's not a burner, but he seems to take forever to get in and out of his routes. I was exited to hopefully see him and see some of the hype ive hoped was true, but other then being able to play each wr position and having solid hands, I wasn't really impressed. Thoughts anyone? Are you guys just seeing a different Meier then I saw today??

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean I get what you guys are saying, and you do have valid points, because speed isn't everything...but the reason he dropped to the 5th was probably his speed and to me, he seemed like a 5th round player, not the guy everyones been hyping up. You get where I'm coming from?

I mean I get what you guys are saying, and you do have valid points, because speed isn't everything...but the reason he dropped to the 5th was probably his speed and to me, he seemed like a 5th round player, not the guy everyones been hyping up. You get where I'm coming from?

Yes I do know where you're coming from, but he's worth the hype. I was a Hype-Man for Kroy back when we picked him up. I was low on Ryan and high on Lofton and Kroy Biermann. No joke, I think Meier will be special.

Jenkins is not very fast either. Jerry Rice wasn't fast...its all about learning the routes first (especially if thats your game) and then speeding up.

I agree that Rice wasn't fast, neither is Ward, but Jenkins is very fast. He's faster than Roddy. Jenkins just does't run routes very well. I hate to agree with Dynamic Duo but routes beat speed any day.

Yes I do know where you're coming from, but he's worth the hype. I was a Hype-Man for Kroy back when we picked him up. I was low on Ryan and high on Lofton and Kroy Biermann. No joke, I think Meier will be special.

I hope your right. I want him to be successful. Maybe he was just tired after last night or something. This Is the first time Ive gotten a chance to get to tc and see the birds, so he coulda just not been locked in today. It just seemed like he could not create any separation, and regardless of your hands or whatever, if you can't do that, you won't be successful in the NFL.

Is it just me, or does Meier look very slow? I mean I know he's not a burner, but he seems to take forever to get in and out of his routes. I was exited to hopefully see him and see some of the hype ive hoped was true, but other then being able to play each wr position and having solid hands, I wasn't really impressed. Thoughts anyone? Are you guys just seeing a different Meier then I saw today??

For me, this is what really matters!!!!

RISE UP, FALCONS!!!

I agree that Rice wasn't fast, neither is Ward, but Jenkins is very fast. He's faster than Roddy. Jenkins just does't run routes very well. I hate to agree with Dynamic Duo but routes beat speed any day.

I think he meant with Jenkins, he plays slow. He doesn't get in and out of cuts very fast, he just looks slow. He has straight line speed but that is it.

With regards to Meier though, the guy is a 5th round rookie and he's getting attention from all over the place. He's only been playing WR a few years too. He'll get better, and for a 5th round pick - I'm extremely pleased if he becomes a great backup, let alone starts - which he eventually will.

This is from ausfalcon's thread. Look at the little juke/jive movement where he gets the DB off kilter, and watch how he finishes the route. That's the cake, right there. Plus, he doesn't seem particularly slow in this video.

That makes me feel so much better. See, he didn't do any of that today....so my first impression of him wasn't too good I guess.

This is from ausfalcon's thread. Look at the little juke/jive movement where he gets the DB off kilter, and watch how he finishes the route. That's the cake, right there. Plus, he doesn't seem particularly slow in this video.

I was trying to figure out how to upload the video. A thing of beauty. Meier sold the slant very well, he got his head turned towards the QB then broke back outside. If he hadn't have looked in to the QB, I doubt the CB would have bit on that move so hard.

Edited by ltstorm2

Wait? Did he say Michael Jenkins was fast... :lol: that hilarious itself, let alone faster than White.

I actually do think he has more straight line speed, see the 49ers game where Roddy burned them up the sideline, Jenkins was quicker.

He just plays very slow, in and out of cuts and isn't explosive. It's all straight line speed, but he has huge strides that take him ages to get to that full speed.

Jenkins is not very fast either. Jerry Rice wasn't fast...its all about learning the routes first (especially if thats your game) and then speeding up.

Jenkins is fast.. Jerry Rice was SUPER FAST in pads, he just wasnt fast in 40 times.. that was what Bill Walsh said when he drafted him, he said his 40 time was average but he was the fastest guy on the field in pads..

Michael Jenkins is very fast. He has a very good top end speed, he just doesn't accelerate fast. 49ers game last year should show as an example. As Roddy is running down field on his 80+ yard score, Jenkins comes out of nowhere, passes up both guys that are trailing White and puts a block on one of them.

Jenkins is fast, he just can't get 0 - top end speed quickly.

I actually do think he has more straight line speed, see the 49ers game where Roddy burned them up the sideline, Jenkins was quicker.

He just plays very slow, in and out of cuts and isn't explosive. It's all straight line speed, but he has huge strides that take him ages to get to that full speed.

I guess I'm just spoiled with Jackson and Maclin that he doesn't seem quick to me. Either way he should be cut bait with the hands he has.

Straight line...maybe. But his quickness is nowhere near Roddy's

Straight line speed is what I'm talking about, that's the whole point I was making. Jenkins is faster than Roddy, in the 40 yard dash. It's easy to check. The point is speed doesn't matter that much. Here's a list of some receivers and their 40 time. Meier runs as fast as any of them.

Fitzgerald ran a 4.6

Boldin ran a 4.7

Hines Ward ran a 4.58

Plax ran a 4.5

Houshmanzadeh ran a 4.66

Brandon Marshall ran a 4.57

Greg Jennings ran a 4.5