Jenkins injured during FNL

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Atlanta-Falcons-unsure-of-extent-of-WR-Michael-Jenkins-injury-080610

Updated Aug 6, 2010 11:15 PM ET

SUWANEE, Ga. (AP)

Atlanta Falcons receiver Michael Jenkins appeared to injure a shoulder during a team scrimmage on Friday night.

Falcons at a glance

Atlanta Falcons

Looking for more dirt on the Falcons? Get the inside slant, stats, scores, schedules and more scoops right here.

''I don't know the extent of it, but I think we'll know first thing in the morning,'' Falcons coach Mike Smith said. ''We're encouraged by what we saw on the sideline there.''

Jenkins, one of 11 offensive starters returning this season, fell hard to the ground on a long incompletion that Matt Ryan appeared to underthrow.

''I just kind of missed him,'' Ryan said.

Jenkins, a Falcons starter since 2005, stopped short of the 30-yard line and stepped upfield a couple of yards to try to catch the pass on Ryan's play-action fake to running back Jason Snelling.

The ball was thrown into zone coverage as Jenkins ran a left-to-right crossing route. Neither Smith nor Ryan indicated whether Jenkins might have run the route too deep.

Jenkins got up slowly and walked gingerly to the sideline to see the trainers.

''He's the only guy we're listing on our injury report,'' Smith said.

Fantasy Football

New and Improved

* New: Draft Rooms

* New: Mock Drafts

* 100% FREE

Create or Join a League Today!

The Falcons, whose preseason opener is next Friday against Kansas City, already planned no more live tackling drills over the next five days of training camp. Jacksonville is visiting Atlanta's complex in Flowery Branch for two days of practice next week.

Smith stood behind the offense throughout the scrimmage and watched as running backs Jason Snelling and Dimitri Nance each ran for short touchdowns.

Third-string quarterback John Parker Wilson stepped up in the pocket to avoid pressure and hit running back Antoine Smith for a long TD down the right side.

Leading playmakers, running back Michael Turner, tight end Tony Gonzalez, receiver Roddy White, defensive end John Abraham and linebacker Mike Peterson, only played a couple of series.

Three defensive starters were held out to prevent further injury: left cornerback Dunta Robinson (hamstring), right cornerback Brian Williams (knee) and defensive tackle Peria Jerry (knee).

Receiver Harry Douglas (knee) and running back Jerious Norwood (hip) were two leading reserves held out for precautionary reasons.

The Falcons announced that a crowd of approximately 12,200 attended the free event at North Gwinnett High School.

I know some don't like him, but he is a part of our Offense and I worry about any injured Falcon Player. Hope for the best, because I really want the Falcons to do VERY well this season.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blessing in disguise. Hope Meier takes his spot and shines.

I agree 100%!

I hope he isn't hurt too bad, but the man couldn't even catch a cold, Mr Dropalina.

I don't wish injury on anyone, but I agree. It could be a blessing, Meier may realise he has a huge opportunity here and seize it with both (albeit gloveless) hands :)

I agree 100%!

I hope he isn't hurt too bad, but the man couldn't even catch a cold, Mr Dropalina.

He was never a solid player or alternate for Ryan to throw to. And never did anything special even with TG and Roddy getting the most attention. Time for Meier and HD to make some things happen. Idc if he's hurt or not I just don't want him on the field so Meier better keep that spot down. He has all the tools unlike brick hands

He was never a solid player or alternate for Ryan to throw to. And never did anything special even with TG and Roddy getting the most attention. Time for Meier and HD to make some things happen. Idc if he's hurt or not I just don't want him on the field so Meier better keep that spot down. He has all the tools unlike brick hands

Agreed. It's time to wash our hands of that McKay pick. Jenkins is terrible.

I Was there, I saw it, happened right in front of me, looked like he just got the wind knocked out of him, I believe he came back in even, the bad thing was he dropped the ball, it was a deep pass down the right hash, Looked like he landed on the ball... I dont believe it was Serious at all...

maybe this happened after i left, i left when the 2 dudes were kicking fgs....

It's just Jenkins doesn't have anything other than blocking. Other than the bears game in 08, what memorable play has he had? He did good versus Oakland but those are the only two that come to mind. Blocks well but has bad hands and can't seperate. Not a big play guy at all and not a move the chains kind of WR.

It's just Jenkins doesn't have anything other than blocking. Other than the bears game in 08, what memorable play has he had? He did good versus Oakland but those are the only two that come to mind. Blocks well but has bad hands and can't seperate. Not a big play guy at all and not a move the chains kind of WR.

He had that seam route - Ryans 1st NFL pass for a TD

Then he had that one catch against the Bears at the last second

And he beat DeAngelo against the Raiders.

That's it. Every other time he has been garbage. He is a big tall WR who should be dominating the middle of the field like TO did in his prime. He should be the #1 WR with his speed and physical attributes. But he isnt. He plays weak and short, and gets out-muscled by small defenders. And he never can catch the easy pass.

That's it. Every other time he has been garbage. He is a big tall WR who should be dominating the middle of the field like TO did in his prime. He should be the #1 WR with his speed and physical attributes. But he isnt. He plays weak and short, and gets out-muscled by small defenders. And he never can catch the easy pass.

Yeah how could I forget Ryans first TD pass. Surprised it wasn't dropped lol. But you're right he isn't very aggressive and doesn't attack the ball in flight. He just hopes it falls to him it seems.

The smart fan, and obviously this staff, takes the body of work over the highlight game all day every day.

He is the number 3 option in the passing game. Please, name me three players in the entire NFL who are also the third option in the passing game and have put up better numbers, while also playing such a big role in the sucess of the running game.

We were 7th in the NFL in passing attempts last year, but I'll play your game.

Baltimore - Todd Heap - 53 catches, 593 yards, 6 TDs

Vikings - Bernard Berrian - 55 catches, 618 yards, 4 TDs (pick or choose, they had about the same receptions)

Vikings - Visanthe Shiancoe - 56 catches, 566 yards, 11 TDs

Jets - Braylon Edwards(12 games, averaged out to 16 games) - 46 catches, 721 yards, 5 TDs

Once you open us up to compare to all teams(since we were 7th in attempts, it becomes an entirely different comparison.