Kentucky denies payment for recruit.

SacFalcFan

Just another hit piece... Getting to the point where I don't even pay attention anymore... :lol:

Also, that is not the "Original Story"... The original story mentioned about 8 paragraphs down that UK was paying Davis $200K in a way that was as nonchalant as if they were giving his height and weight...

Then UK's attorneys sent O'Brien and the CST a letter threatening legal action if it wasn't retracted...

The CST responded in kind, and the article turned into pretty much just a profile on Davis...

Then for whatever reason late last night, this final version was put out that centered more around the payments than Davis himself...

It's all a crock of ****; national writers such as Gregg Doyel, Jeff Goodman, Mike DeCourcey, Pat Forde, Andy Katz, and Gary Parrish couldn't find a single indication of the Davis' wanting payment, but this dude finds THREE SCHOOLS who are claiming it? Pardon me if I don't believe you, Mr. O'Brien...

Complete fabrication IMO...

WTA, you seem like a really stand up fan, but from an outsider's perspective, you remind me SO much of the UT fan insisting doggedly that Kiffin was a good coach...and on Falcon's fans insisting that Vick could have known NOTHING about what was going on in his house in Virginia. Dude had hundreds of millions of dollars right? He probably forgot he owned the house!(that was me...).

Where there is a massive, continuous amount of smoke in 3 separate places, there's got to be a fire. I hope for your sake that they don't discover what he was doing until after he's used Kentucky to jump back into the NBA, preferably to the Heat.

WTA, you seem like a really stand up fan, but from an outsider's perspective, you remind me SO much of the UT fan insisting doggedly that Kiffin was a good coach...and on Falcon's fans insisting that Vick could have known NOTHING about what was going on in his house in Virginia. Dude had hundreds of millions of dollars right? He probably forgot he owned the house!(that was me...).

Where there is a massive, continuous amount of smoke in 3 separate places, there's got to be a fire. I hope for your sake that they don't discover what he was doing until after he's used Kentucky to jump back into the NBA, preferably to the Heat.

I'm just going by the facts, my man... The outsider's perspective is dealing with nothing but pure speculation... Both cases (UMASS and Memphis) were two completely different situations and both dealt specifically with the player's wrongdoing... Was it on Cal's watch? Sure... Did he know about it? Who knows... But the FACT is, the player committed the infraction in both cases.

As far as anything while he's at UK, there's no smoke whatsoever... Nothing but a few articles from some local papers with zero proof of any wrongdoing at all... Tons and tons of snooping and investigating have been done (alot by national guys with unlimited resources - specifically Pat Forde) and they've been able to find absolutely nothing...

If the "outsiders" would actually sit back and look at the facts and use a bit of logic, it's not hard to see that Calipari isn't the slimy cheater that the media and opposing fan bases make him out to be...

I guess my point is that I'm not the one with the blinders on; it's most everyone else... Any argument anyone makes against Cal will have nothing but speculation and circumstance as the backbone; my argument will deal with nothing but the cold hard truth... That's just the way it is... John Calipari has zero NCAA infractions on his record. Fact.

I'm just going by the facts, my man... The outsider's perspective is dealing with nothing but pure speculation... Both cases (UMASS and Memphis) were two completely different situations and both dealt specifically with the player's wrongdoing... Was it on Cal's watch? Sure... Did he know about it? Who knows... But the FACT is, the player committed the infraction in both cases.

As far as anything while he's at UK, there's no smoke whatsoever... Nothing but a few articles from some local papers with zero proof of any wrongdoing at all... Tons and tons of snooping and investigating have been done (alot by national guys with unlimited resources - specifically Pat Forde) and they've been able to find absolutely nothing...

If the "outsiders" would actually sit back and look at the facts and use a bit of logic, it's not hard to see that Calipari isn't the slimy cheater that the media and opposing fan bases make him out to be...

I guess my point is that I'm not the one with the blinders on; it's most everyone else... Any argument anyone makes against Cal will have nothing but speculation and circumstance as the backbone; my argument will deal with nothing but the cold hard truth... That's just the way it is... John Calipari has zero NCAA infractions on his record. Fact.

Yeah, and Pete Carroll was absolutely shocked and amazed when it came out that Reggie Bush was taking those handouts. I think Carroll has zero NCAA infractions on his record too because he, like Cal, knew when to get the heck out of Dodge.

When you are like Cal and have left a path of NCAA carnage at every stop, then it is pretty easy to add things up -- that is, unless you are a fan of the team he is currently coaching and want so hard to believe that Cal is doing things the right way. Memphis fans were taking your same position a couple of years ago.

i lived in memphis for the last 7 years and went to the university of memphis and followed the basketball team very closely. Cal is amazing at marketing and selling his programs to the boosters, fan base and recruits. i never knew the specifics about the umass camby deal so i cant talk about that but to say calipari was completely clean in the memphis investigation is rediculous. rose had to take his SAT 3 times. Twice he took it in chicago and failed. then for some reason, world wide wes was in detroit, he flew to detroit to take the test and passed it with flying colors. please dont tell me that cal had no knowledge or hand in getting that SAT taken care of. there are two other players from that team that had suspicious SAT scores as well in robert dozier and doneal mack that the NCAA never pursued.

when cal was at memphis i was blinded, just like every other memphis fan, by the success of the program. but if you step back and looked, it was obvious some shady things were going on. you just didnt care because you were winning. but when the ncaa came knocking in late jan last year cal started looking for other schools. if kentucky had not hired him he would be the coach at arizona right now. i believe you are innocent until proven guilty and you are right he has not been found guilty of anything. but i believe where there is smoke, there is fire. if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. then its a da*n duck! its only a matter of time before cal gets caught. he didnt change his ways when he went to kentucky. hes surrounded by the same people only now he has a lot more money and clout to throw around.

Enjoy the success while it last cause it feels awesome but when it ends, it ends abruptly then everything comes crashing down and it sucks.

Why do things happen so often under his watch? Simply bad luck for the guy? Coincidence? I'd really, really like to believe that, because I absolutely love the guy's personality and his teams are fun to watch. Just been burned too many times by the seedier side of athletics.

So often? Something has "happened" twice, the only reason people have the connotation that he just goes around cheating on the regular is because the players who committed the infractions were on such good teams... There's plenty of coaches out there in D-I right now who have had many more "things happen" under their watch than Cal has had... He's just more high profile and the media and fans love to use him as an example...

Your agents, AAU guys, shoe companies, etc. are gonna be targeting the best players in the country, because those players are who can make them more money down the road. Calipari recruits the best players in the country. Of course the two are going to conflict... The same players Cal recruits are the same players being preyed upon by men with money... I wouldn't call it a coincidence, in the same way that I wouldn't call it a coincidence if a bank teller was robbed more than once... It comes with the territory... If a bank teller is robbed, more than likely they're going to keep their job even though they know it could easily happen again... Cal isn't going to stop recruiting the best players in the country even though he knows those players are the ones that are more likely to be subject to these infractions...

He's obviously a shady character and he's got a history of bringing investigation to the schools he's coaching at. But the fact is, he is winning. Memphis fans didn't care before and now Kentucky fans are the same way. When you recruit the best players, coaches are willing to do more to acquire their talents but Cal is by far the most scrutinized coach in America. He brings more controversy with his recruiting than any coach out there. And I think when recruits have been questioned numerous times at every college he has coached at, it's no longer coincidence, there is something wrong with the way he recruits. He is literally the Lane Kiffin (recruiting wise) on the basketball court.

There are top recruits at every major program in the country. All of those coaches deal with the same things Cal has to deal with. Only a handful of coaches are continually getting in trouble and draw attention to themselves and their program. Cal is always accused of wrongdoing for a reason. Just as you won't find people saying coach k is paying players for a reason. Smoke = fire 90% of the time.

Just as you won't find people saying coach k is paying players for a reason. Smoke = fire 90% of the time.

Ok let's talk about this... two legitimate questions for you:

1 - Why do you think it is that people don't say Coach K is paying players but they say Coach Cal is?

2 - Have you ever heard of Myron Piggie?