Some Questions Regarding Pre-Season

Drathdon

Been to many a game, but this year my kids (9 and 7) are wanting to do more than just watch on TV, and can sit still long enough that going to the dome would be a blast. Therefore, we're going to the first Preseason game as a warm-up because we want to be able to relax for their first visit, and frankly we can't wait for the season to start.

I'll be coming from NC. I've never been to a night game, so that really changes things. Also, with the kids, my attention will go from a normal Sunday tailgate to Family-Friendly Fun. To those taking kids before, any advice?

Has anyone got an idea of what will be available for a Preseason Night game? I am sure that the late start means something could be done, but what and where?

Also, I'd love to get the kids a couple of autographs, but practice was too much for too little to drive that far for. I know folks like Tandy have had success getting Autos at games, so any inside secrets here on what to try?

When is the best time to get into Atlanta for the game? When does the dome open?

Also, thinking of staying the night, so any recommendations on what to do before the game (or where to stay even)?

Looking forward to this, but really wanting to ensure that these future Falcons fans get their growing Fanaticism Fires stoked with an awesome day at the dome!

All advice is appreciated.

Somebody help Drathdon! :angry:

Sorry, I live in Marietta, but still I'm very lucky if I get to attend 1-2 games a year. So, I don't know much about the vibe downtown, or what to tell you to do w/kids. Although, the aquarium is something I'm sure they'd love if you're coming down early.

Since I live around here, I don't know much about lodging, but you might try the pinned thread about the Message Board Get-Together, MBGT. They have some recommendations that are relatively close, or close to Marta - can't remember which.

Good luck and I hope you have fun! :)

Thanks man!

Yeah, my main concern is what is going to be going on around the Dome before the game. Never been to a night game (or preseason for that matter), so I don't know what to look for, or where to look. I'd hate to miss something cool, especially something Kid-oriented.

If no one knows now (6 days away), is there somewhere online to look to see what's going down. Surprising lack of info on the new Falcons website about the game.

I don't know if there is any Falcon's official stuff going on before the game. A fall back plan could be the CNN center, it is nice because it is right next to the dome. It has plenty of places to eat before the game and the CNN center shop has a lot of cartoon souvenirs due to Turner being tied to CNN. You could also take your kids through Centennial Olympic park before the game. Then right next to that is the World of Coke and the Aquarium.

I hope this helps a little, but like Kibitzer I live in Marietta so I usually just take MARTA down to the game and don't do much pre-game activities.

Edited by JHav

sorry, i just saw this topic for the first time and i know it's a bit late in the week, but here goes..

During the regular season they have a lot of activities going on at Falcons Landing, it's an open grassy area right next to the dome on the upper level (CNN side, not northside drive side). Whether or not that is there for preseason i do not know.

Autographs, usually you want to be 1 1/2 to 1 hr pre game time and huddle near the sideline and the tunnel where the players come in. It's a longshot, but it's the best advice i have for the autographs.

Check www.georgianavigator.com for traffic. It's friday night and you will be fighting AWFUL Atlanta traffic, especially if your traveling into town on friday. You will be wanting to get to the dome around 6:30 no later than 7 to check out the shops and events (if there are any i don't know b/c of preseason) which will put you in the dead middle of rush hour in atlanta. I suggest you leave even early, and get dinner around 5 at Jocks n Jills, (walking distance to the dome)and you can kill time if your to early and that way you can relax, hang out, and not worry about missing the game or anything due to Atlanta city traffic.

Hope that helps, i know it wasn't the main question of what is offered for preseason games

You should call the Falcons office to find out if Falcon's Landing will be open. Grassy area, 2nd level, east side of Dome. Lot's of little activities for kids and adults.

Other than that, CNN center as mentioned is a possible hangout area before the game.

Traffic won't be too bad until you get near downtown cause you'll be going against the flow. 85 South from NC should be OK but always allow an extra 45 minutes for the occasional accident or construction that they inevitably schedule at the most inopportune times.

Once you get to the GA 400 merge, traffic will probably jam up. You can exit at 17th or 14th street, go west, and then south on Northside Drive. Sometimes this is better than staying on the 85/75 southbound connector. Sometimes ;)

If you're driving this far I'd definitely try to arrive 2-3 hours before gametime and soak in the city a little, maybe watch warmups. Even when we leave from the suburbs I always try to arrive at least an hour before kickoff. It's just more fun that way. The dome should open no later than 6pm (the parking lots may NOT though), probably earlier but the Falcons office can tell you that specifically. I'd give them a call and ask for suggestions on activities, parking, etc...

I went to the preseason game last year against the Ravens and Falcons Landing was in full swing. In fact, I got there so early that I got to stand on the sideline before the game and help wave the Falcons flag out on the field during player intros.

I'm coming straight from work, so I will be there early. I wonder if someone could tell me what time the Dome opens up. Gotta check out my seat upgrade. SEC 113 here I come!

Thanks so much guys! Exactly what I was looking for. Was hoping the landing would be rocking for Preseason, but don't see anything anywhere about it.

Our hotel check in time is 3:00 (same hotel as MBGT), so we're going to get there then, and just hang around the dome till something happens or someone lets us in! :lol:

The landing is fun - but not in full swing like regular season.

As for autographs - if you go in when the gates open ( 2 hours before kick off) - you can usually swing a few down by section 121 - 123 where the tunnel is. The guys will sign before they dress out, but not usually after they put on the uni.

If you leave immediately after the guys leave the field- you can catch them down by gate E where they leave. Get there as soon as possible though - because it gets crowdeed. They will normally stop and sign autographs on their way out to their cars.

As for secrets - be polite - the guys are working out and if they don't have time to stop - be understanding. Don't throw things on the field (yes, people do that and then they make everyone leave the area) or drop things thinking they will be forced to pick them up. You can talk to them and call their name and hope they come over - then be sure to thank them and maybe even engage them in a little chat - they always seem to enjoy that. Just remember, they are not only players, they are people too - and treat them with respect - they usually respond well to that and can be quite chatty sometimes!