Let's talk UGA basketball recruiting..

SacFalcFan

I want to relay something i heard from jerry meyer, rivals basketball recruiting guy. He was being interview on rivals radio and was talking about up and coming sec programs and brought up UGA with Mark Fox. He said UGA has a huge buzz about our program that is resonated with recruits. He said Travis Leslie going from someone who wasn't going to be even drafted to a first round choice in next year's draft if he goes pro has really helped create that buzz. He said that buzz is clear that if you go to UGA and play for Mark Fox you will improve greatly.

UGA has two players committed to play basketball for the 2011 class. Caldwell is a 5 star shooting guard. Nick Marshall was a 4 star who was dropped out due to him taking a football scholarship, but he will be playing basketball as well. Here is my opinion of the guys we could land:

The dawgs will most likely take 2 inside players out of royal, jacobs, and dixon. Getting marshall and caldwell helps with Dixon. He will be an early signing period player. Dixon is a 3 star with a nice offer sheet and plays center. Another player I think we get is Royal. He is a 4 star 77th player in the country and plays the pf.

I believe UGA would take the right mix of a player whether it be another wing and point guard or maybe even another big man. However if a guy like rodney hood is interested it's hard to say no to him. How about Dai-Jon Parker? He is very interested in UGA now that he is being told he can play point guard for georgia. I think it would be a good move to sign a pg this class. No telling if gerald leaves early or not and i have no idea if vincent can be the point guard we need in the future. Brogdon IMO will be a dawg. He will be a 4 star player after this coming year. He has moved up and will continue to move up the rankings. He is that good. I can see uga taking parker at pg and stopping it there because the 2012 instate class is amazing and Fox is in great shape for the top guys in our state for that class. When I say in great shape I mean it and the 2012 instate basketball class is better than 2011 which shows just how terrific 2012 is.

I have to say I've been surprised at the early success Fox has had with recruiting he's definitely doing a great job early on

Everyone wants to win. If Fox keeps winning we are going to get more and more instate talent.

However, Basketball recruiting seems to be alot dirtier then football. With Calapri and Co. I wouldnt be suprised if all the top players are getting OJ Mayo money from somewhere. You do what you gotta do to get players but I feel theres alot more honor in football recuiting. But theres not alot left in either

** What im really saying is I feel like all the AAU coaches, some parents, and "Uncles" who are agents make basketball recuiting much more corrupt

Edited by Ronaldo77

Everyone wants to win. If Fox keeps winning we are going to get more and more instate talent.

However, Basketball recruiting seems to be alot dirtier then football. With Calapri and Co. I wouldnt be suprised if all the top players are getting OJ Mayo money from somewhere. You do what you gotta do to get players but I feel theres alot more honor in football recuiting. But theres not alot left in either

:rolleyes:

I figured this might come up... Look, Calipari paying for recruits is like Justin Timberlake paying for sex... He just doesn't hafta do it in the position he's in... Top recruiter + Top school = Top class every year... Simple as that...

** What im really saying is I feel like all the AAU coaches, some parents, and "Uncles" who are agents make basketball recuiting much more corrupt

Agree with this statement 100%, however. I actually wrote an article about this a year or so ago, posted it here in fact... Might be able to dig it up...

edit, here it is:

:rolleyes:

I figured this might come up... Look, Calipari paying for recruits is like Justin Timberlake paying for sex... He just doesn't hafta do it in the position he's in... Top recruiter + Top school = Top class every year... Simple as that...

edit, here it is:

I would like to believe you but you cant dismiss Calipari's track record. Everywhere he has gone he has been sited for major violations. I hope it doesnt happen to yall but he is a known cheater.

I would like to believe you but you cant dismiss Calipari's track record. Everywhere he has gone he has been sited for major violations. I hope it doesnt happen to yall but he is a known cheater.

Calipari's record is clean... Players under him have been hit with violations... In Camby's case, an agent gave him money... In Rose's case, another person allegedly took his SAT for him... Neither case involved Calipari or the respective university aiding the player in any way...

Again, to be as clear as I possibly can here, I'll say it again: Calipari has ZERO infractions on his record. Zero. He is great at what he does, and there is no need for him to cheat.

Calipari's record is clean... Players under him have been hit with violations... In Camby's case, an agent gave him money... In Rose's case, another person allegedly took his SAT for him... Neither case involved Calipari or the respective university aiding the player in any way...

Again, to be as clear as I possibly can here, I'll say it again: Calipari has ZERO infractions on his record. Zero. He is great at what he does, and there is no need for him to cheat.

Ok, your right that he has zero infractions. He is clean, and in this country its innocent until proven guilty. But it just seems that violations seem to follow him around. Now you might just say when you get top players theres always going to be some violations but I dont see him as the innocent coach either. Thats all im saying. He might not be doing it but i dont see him really trying to inforce them either.

dont get me Wrong I like Calipari, Hes a great and I hope Fox can get up to his status one day. Im just saying haha

Also this will be the last I talk about Calipari in this thread; it's already been hijacked enough... If you want to discuss it start a new thread, and I'll gladly debate you or anyone else about the subject... Just not in here anymore...

Thanks for the info though Sac, it really does seem that we are turning everything around for the long haul. We need to have a good season this year to show that last year was the beginning instead of a fluke

your welcome man.. i got to talk with coach fox last night and i am very very very excited for the season and for this next class.

Just curious but why do you think Marshall dropped out just because he is on a football scholarship?

nick marshall is not ranked due to being on a football scholarship.. that was why he was dropped from the rankings.. that is what sites will do when a player isn't going to be playing on a basketball scholarship.

Why didn't Terrell Pryor drop out of the rankings in 08?

i am speaking to nick marshall.. as soon as he committed to uga they dropped him out of the rankings to play football.. this isn't a guess on my part, it's what we were told by those who do the rankings.. it's also why he isn't listed on our commitment list for basketball.

i am speaking to nick marshall.. as soon as he committed to uga they dropped him out of the rankings to play football.. this isn't a guess on my part, it's what we were told by those who do the rankings.. it's also why he isn't listed on our commitment list for basketball.

He isn't on your commit because his basketball profile says HIGH interest in UGA instead of committed for some reason. I mean Jarvis Jones was on your basketball commit list for 08.

I remember Jerry Meyer(head bball guy on rivals) saying that a player being on a football scholarship instead of basketball has nothing to do with the rankings.

He isn't on your commit because his basketball profile says HIGH interest in UGA instead of committed for some reason. I mean Jarvis Jones was on your basketball commit list for 08.

I remember Jerry Meyer(head bball guy on rivals) saying that a player being on a football scholarship instead of basketball has nothing to do with the rankings.

jarvis jones was never on our commitment list for basketball (you are thinking of marlon brown who's addition was a mistake) and nick isn't on our commitment list for basketball because he won't be on a basketball scholarship. that is exactly why. i am answering your questions because we have asked those questions some time ago from those who do the rankings and received answers. nick marshall was dropped due to him being on a football scholarship and his rankings are based on that.

one thing i did forget to add uga is looking for a very nice 2011 class. top 10 recruiting class is not out of the question. we may offer one more inside player or take one more due to cady no qualifying. it depeneds on if he goes prep or juco. however for 2012 it's going to be one heck of a class. fox has done a terrific job instate with a number of players. guys like jordan price, jordan adams, and damien wilson are just a few names who might be signing on the dotted line for uga.

2012 georgia class is loaded. Fox seems to be doing good on the recruting trail and should really take advantage since GT will probably only have 1 or 2 scholarship depending on how many we land in the 11 class.

yep that instate class in 2012 is just awesome.. better than 2011.. i think we will have 4 scholarships available for that class and could be more depending on if guys leave early.

• 3 weeks later...