Greg Hardy dominating at Carolina Panthers Training Camp

g-dawg

I was in love w/ this guy pre-draft.....his Sophmore tape as a D-End for Ole Miss was as good as I have ever seen a D-End play. He was injury riddled and had some attitude issues supposedly but the guy was phenomenal talent when healthy. I wish Falcons would have taken a flyer on Greg Hardy in the later rounds...its going to be painful if this guy is a great player and we passed on him. I think there is a great chance that he will be a very good NFL player.

Panty Link

Greg Hardy has Carolina camp buzzing

August, 5, 2010 Aug 51:52PM ET By Pat Yasinskas

I spent much of Thursday morning writing our Camp Confidential segment on the Carolina Panthers. It will pop up on the NFC South blog a bit later this afternoon.

This feature will involve a mention of rookie defensive end Greg Hardy. But he deserves more than a quick mention because he was creating quite a buzz around camp when I visited Wofford College earlier this week.

A sixth-round pick out of Mississippi, Hardy isnt playing like a sixth-round pick. Coaches, players and the front office are noticing. In fact, when I sat down with linebacker Jon Beason for an interview for Camp Confidential and some other stuff for down the road, he brought up Hardy without any prompting at all.

Beason was talking in general terms about how hes seeing some promise from young players on Carolinas defensive line. All of the sudden, Beason paused and got very specific.

Hardy, for instance, Beason said. Hes a guy who can do everything. Hes strong at the point of attack. Great against the run and great against the pass. Hes got a motor and hes very fast. Ive talked to him and said, Look, I dont care what happened at Ole Miss or anything in the past. Forget about it, because you can write your own ticket right now and Im challenging him to get out there and get better because hes got a chance to be a special player.

All right, lets put some context on this. Beason is a guy I know fairly well and hes the clear leader of Carolinas defense, maybe even of the entire franchise. I respect his football knowledge tremendously. But I should tell you Beason is an optimist and I tried to keep his thoughts on Hardy in perspective until I talked to someone else.

Thats when I turned to John Fox. Anyone thats followed the Panthers for most of the last decade knows that Fox, although almost always cordial, isnt the greatest quote in the world. Its rare for him to really heap praise on players, hes never going to publicly criticize them and, actually, it isnt all that often that Fox says much of anything.

Thats why his answer surprised me so much when I asked him about Hardy.

Ive liked everything Ive seen, Fox said. Hes got the size. Hes got first-round ability. Its still early, but everything Ive seen has been impressive from his work ethic to his effort to his skill set.

It didnt stop there. Without any further prompting, Fox went on and mentioned Hardy in a comparison, of sorts, to former Carolina end Julius Peppers.

I dont like over-praising people, but I really like what Ive seen, Fox said. Hes probably more Pep-like than anybody else weve got. Time will tell.

Now, before Fox reads this, starts thinking he gave the rest of the league a competitive edge with his early report on Hardy and never again utters a decent quote, lets add a little more context. By no means was Fox saying Hardy is ready to be the second coming of Peppers. He simply was saying Hardy has the most pure athletic ability of any of Carolinas defensive ends. It remains to be seen if that will translate into success on the field.

Also, I thought Fox had another strong quote when he was talking about how the Panthers will have to use a collection of players to make up for the loss of Peppers.

Julius Peppers, love him or hate him, you aint replacing him, Fox said. He was the second player taken in the draft and he signed a huge contract to go to the Bears. That doesnt happen to bad football players. Were not going to replace him as an individual talent.

Edited by g-dawg

Hardy is a solid pickup in the sixth ground for them, but there's a reason he dropped that far. He had a good freshman and sophmore year at Ole Miss, but he was also very inconsistent, and had a lot of nagging injuries. He just disappeared after that huge sophmore year. You barely heard his name mentioned last year. There's a reason. He's a solid player, but not one I'd get worked up over. We'll see what he's got come this season.

Hardy is a solid pickup in the sixth ground for them, but there's a reason he dropped that far. He had a good freshman and sophmore year at Ole Miss, but he was also very inconsistent, and had a lot of nagging injuries. He just disappeared after that huge sophmore year. You barely heard his name mentioned last year. There's a reason. He's a solid player, but not one I'd get worked up over. We'll see what he's got come this season.

i'm not beating up on Thomas Dimitroff - i'm as big a fan of his draft picks as anybody.....we tend to stay away from any player that even has a sniff of an attitude or character problem. Best I recall, there were no character nor off-field issues with Hardy - he just obviously had injury issues and every now and then he had some odd behavior.....I understand why we passed on him.

My point is, I just wish every now and then(not a lot), the Falcons would take a little bit of a chance. In this draft, we took Shann Shillinger 4 spots ahead of where the Panthers took Greg Hardy. That is not even a close call......the most Shillinger will probably ever be is a special teams guy. While Hardy may bust, he could also be a 3 time all-pro. Hardy is on the edge and could go either way but in the 6th round - take a chance - you might hit a home run - that is my point.

Man.... This guy will be a major steal... Ive said this all along... I wanted us to draft Greg Hardy so bad....

I honestly think Greg Hardy will be a great DE in the NFL... Is he a head case like Peppers... Yes.... But he is not going to be an off the field troubled guy..... Just need a good D-Line Coach

Anyone would look good at DE for the Panthers after losing Peppers. Not taking anything from the kid, because he may well be that good. The Panthers run a good system, so it's not hard to be successful.

I disagree because the Panthers have a good O-Line

I can assure you they don't. They have a mediocre LT who is vastly overpaid (Gross) and literally no one else on that offensive line that's even worth 1/2 a **** in pass blocking, that's a major part of why they run so much.

I disagree.... Gross and Otah are really good tackles.... I also think Ryan Kalil is a really good center

Man.... This guy will be a major steal... Ive said this all along... I wanted us to draft Greg Hardy so bad....

I honestly think Greg Hardy will be a great DE in the NFL... Is he a head case like Peppers... Yes.... But he is not going to be an off the field troubled guy..... Just need a good D-Line Coach

agreed, jbo......Panty's "shoot-the-moon" later in the draft. Last year they took Duke Robinson late.

Greg Hardy - i really think he can be very, very good....he would have looked good in "Falcon Red"

When Hardy came out for the first game last yr. with

"DRAFT" "ME" on his eye black, I got a little

upset with him. I am an Ole Miss fan and it

was clear that his head was elsewhere. He played

like it. Make no mistake about it, his talent is

comparable to Peppers. He is a first round talent.

He may have a great rookie year and then go on t.v.

with T.O. and Ocho Cinco and never be heard from again.

I am with you though, in fact I would have been overjoyed to

spend one of my thirds for him. It became a joke the

further he fell. We could have had Michael Johnson last

year and Hardy this year and it would be pretty exciting

to see the look in opposing Q.B.'s eyes. I would have

picked both those guys way earlier than they went.

The best value on the board when we picked was Buluga but

I am a Spoon man, so we got that one right. It is fun to

watch and speculate on what our team could have looked like.

Yeah, I'm still not happy about that. Thought he would be a 3rd-4th rounder. I liked a few WR's before we took Meier too. But it is just TC, and we may have to wait to see how each player actually shows up in game time. I liked DJ Hall a few years ago, and there was a report out of NY that he was outperforming everyone. He didn't make the roster, or the practice squad, or any other team.