Blank: Falcons Talked About Bringing in T.O.

sporkdevil

Jeff Schultz

Falcons discussed bringing in Terrell Owens, Blank says

terrell_owens_crying.jpg

Terrell Owens, who lives in Atlanta and often attends Hawks games, came up in discussions with the Falcons. (Curtis Compton/AJC)

Terrell Owens never was close to becoming a Falcon this offseason. But yes, the team did talk about it.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank said this morning that general manager Thomas Dimitroff and coach Mike Smith discussed the possibility of signing Owens to bolster the team’s receiving corps “about 30 days ago.” Blank even joined the discussions briefly. But ultimately they decided not to make a move on the former free agent, who recently signed with Cincinnati.

“We talked but the conversations were short-lived,” Blank said. “It’s not a criticism of him. We just decided that with Roddy [White] in place, Michael Jenkins still developing, Harry Douglas coming back and the young man we drafted from Kansas [Kerry Meier] coming in, that we didn’t feel a need to bring him in.”

Owens, a long-time Atlanta resident, signed with Cincinnati after spending last year with Buffalo. The Bengals are his fourth team in six years. While some believe he still has the skills to be a solid No. 2 receiver, despite being 36 years ago, he has been a locker room problem for much of his career. That likely figured into the Falcons’ thinking.

Blank’s comments were part of a wide-ranging interview for a column I’ll be posting later today. Check back here later, as the Falcons prepare to open training camp.

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2010/07/29/falcons-discussed-bringing-in-terrell-owens-blank-says/?cxntfid=blogs_jeff_schultz_blog&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by sporkdevil

Here's the audio:

Smith: Hey Thomas, you think we should take a look at TO?

TD: (Spits coffee all over desk) Good one.

Blank: (Walks in) Hey what are you guys talking about?

Smitty and TD in unison: You don't want to know.

All joking aside, I think TO to Cincy was a good move for both sides.

Did he actually say, " with Michael Jenkins still developing " ? ...wouldnt you think he would be "developed" at this point,? LOL .......

Wow, I saw Jenkins so I must have skipped that entire section. Well... Jenkins does need some work... so maybe he is still developing? Realistically, if he can add some consistency to his game he could be a really good player.

Wow, I saw Jenkins so I must have skipped that entire section. Well... Jenkins does need some work... so maybe he is still developing? Realistically, if he can add some consistency to his game he could be a really good player.

Hope your right Spork ....I'm not a huge fan of his, but I guess it could be much worse .....I know I will be ridiculed for saying this, but I really, really wanted Dez Bryant when he was still there ....I am fine with Spoon, it was a good pick, but I feel like we just let the next Moss get away .....I don't think Ryan has a boatload of confidence in Jenkins ability to seperate and get open ...I truly hope Jenks has a huge year, and I will shut up about him .....

Jenkins has yet to hit his full potential. We all know that. Jenkins was worthy of a first round pick coming out of college. I think he just shows that talent in spurts instead of consistently like White.

Also, he mentioned Kerry being here which obviously means he will probably be getting good playing time this year.

Jenkins has yet to hit his full potential. We all know that. Jenkins was worthy of a first round pick coming out of college. I think he just shows that talent in spurts instead of consistently like White.

Also, he mentioned Kerry being here which obviously means he will probably be getting good playing time this year.

We do ? ALL of us ? ...that's news to me ..... :o

I don't think we are 100% satisfied with our WR group. If we were then why even have a conversation about T.O. or

any other receiver? Jenkins is the weak link here. I wouldn't be surprised if he is eventually traded. I wouldn't

mind trying to get some kind of pick for him next year.

Hope your right Spork ....I'm not a huge fan of his, but I guess it could be much worse .....I know I will be ridiculed for saying this, but I really, really wanted Dez Bryant when he was still there ....I am fine with Spoon, it was a good pick, but I feel like we just let the next Moss get away .....I don't think Ryan has a boatload of confidence in Jenkins ability to seperate and get open ...I truly hope Jenks has a huge year, and I will shut up about him .....

Yeah, I think I posted about the Dez Bryant possibility before the draft. Very talented player, and I would have been very happy about him coming in. He is supposed to be better than Crabtree, and would be a great pickup that low in the draft. But in the end, whether character concerns, or the lack of space we have for another starting WR (how can we spread around the ball that much?), or needs on defense, we went with Spoon, which I'm still pumped about.

I'm sure Blank, TD and Smith have a conversation about all players, be the player a draft prospect, a potential trade or a free agent. It is always good to cover all your bases just to see what player out there can make your team better. Now I am glad that we didn't sign TO due to the fact that he is getting older and we really don't need him. I'm sure all 3 have discussed a trade for Jackson from San Diego. They are looking to add someone but it looks like they will hold off for one more year unless someone gets injured, knock on wood. If the Falcons looked at getting Boldin then rest assured they have looked at the possibility of trading for Jackson.

If you haven't hit your potential in 6-7 years, you might want to take a second look at what your "potential" is.

Yeah, I think I posted about the Dez Bryant possibility before the draft. Very talented player, and I would have been very happy about him coming in. He is supposed to be better than Crabtree, and would be a great pickup that low in the draft. But in the end, whether character concerns, or the lack of space we have for another starting WR (how can we spread around the ball that much?), or needs on defense, we went with Spoon, which I'm still pumped about.

I think had we added a guy like Bryant, would have made us an unstoppable hyper offense like NOLA or Indy..... I would have picked him, then tried to move up for Daryl Washington, who I think may be every bit as good as Spoon ...but my name aint TD, LOL ......

Bryant isn't a 6"4-6"5 WR who can so fast he makes everyone else looks like they are running in slow motion, have the capability to jump over the players on the field, and make catches that you end up telling your kids about years later. Bryant might end up being really good, but Moss is arguably the most talented WR to ever play the game.

I think had we added a guy like Bryant, would have made us an unstoppable hyper offense like NOLA or Indy..... I would have picked him, then tried to move up for Daryl Washington, who I think may be every bit as good as Spoon ...but my name aint TD, LOL ......

I too hope the passing over of Bryant doesn't haunt us... I think he has potential to be a #1 WR in the league... I would take him over Jenkins without him every playing an NFL down...

Bryant isn't a 6"4-6"5 WR who can so fast he makes everyone else looks like they are running in slow motion, have the capability to jump over the players on the field, and make catches that you end up telling your kids about years later. Bryant might end up being really good, but Moss is arguably the most talented WR to ever play the game.

Remains to be seen ....I'm not saying he will be Moss ....but I think at the very least, he will be Ochocinco .....

Who are they kidding? They should've just said the truth, they didn't want him in the lockerroom because of his history.

You know how I know he's lying? Because he said Michael Jenkins is still developing. Umm, Uncle Artie, you aren't still developing going into your 7th NFL season. Sorry, I don't buy that. Jenkins is what he is, but don't try to sell me that. Tell me that you didn't want T.O's presence in the lockerroom. I'm fine with that, and so are a bunch of other teams, because they didn't sign him either. But don't lie to me. He put up decent 2nd WR numbers last season (50+ catches, 800+ yards and 5 TD's). That'd be great for a second wideout, if he didn't have the personality of T.O.

Most talented? Nope, Moss doesn't go over the middle. That'd make him a complete WR, and he can't do it. To frail. Moss is a freak, and is at the top as far as WR's go, but I wouldn't say most talented ever.

Did he actually say, " with Michael Jenkins still developing " ? ...wouldnt you think he would be "developed" at this point,? LOL .......

This was exactly my first thought after reading that. Still developing? He's been in the league 6 six years. He is what he is.

Who are they kidding? They should've just said the truth, they didn't want him in the lockerroom because of his history.

You know how I know he's lying? Because he said Michael Jenkins is still developing. Umm, Uncle Artie, you aren't still developing going into your 7th NFL season. Sorry, I don't buy that. Jenkins is what he is, but don't try to sell me that. Tell me that you didn't want T.O's presence in the lockerroom. I'm fine with that, and so are a bunch of other teams, because they didn't sign him either. But don't lie to me. He put up decent 2nd WR numbers last season (50+ catches, 800+ yards and 5 TD's). That'd be great for a second wideout, if he didn't have the personality of T.O.

You are probably right... But it is an unwritten rule that owners don't slam potential players... Owners like Artie want to be seen as a "players owner"...

Insightful fans know what he meant...