Looks like Spoon will be signed early tomorrow.

paulitik

Link

Atlanta Falcons

UPDATE: Weatherspoon contract watch is underway

9:00 am July 28, 2010, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

00509 Flowery Branch - Atlanta Falcons linebackers coach Greg Pires works with first round draft pick rookie linebacker # 56 Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri, during day 3 of minicamp in Flowery Branch on Sunday, May 9, 2010. Curtis Compton ccompton@ajc.com

00509 Flowery Branch - Atlanta Falcons linebackers coach Greg Pires works with first round draft pick rookie linebacker # 56 Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri, during day 3 of minicamp in Flowery Branch on Sunday, May 9, 2010. Curtis Compton ccompton@ajc.com

UPDATE

Wed. 10:54 p.m.

Progress was made during the negotiations on Wednesday, with a push Thursday morning, Falcons first round draft pick Sean Weatherspoon could be signed in time to report with the rest the squad and been ready for team meetings in the evening.

With the Falcons due to report less than 24 hours from now, the “Weatherspoon Watch” is under way.

Another first-round domino dropped this morning, when cornerback Devin McCourty agreed to terms with the New England Patriots, according to his agent Andy Simms.

“Patriots 1st rounder Devin McCourty has agreed to terms this morning and will be at the facility when the full team reports today,” Simms tweeted at 7:20 a.m.

McCourty and Dallas’ Dez Bryant are the only first rounders with deals.

Also, Carolina agreed to a four-year deal with quarterback Jimmy Clausen, a second round pick.

It should be a busy day with several teams set to report either today or Thursday.

“There hasn’t really been a lot of action throughout the first and second rounds,” Falcons coach Mike Smith said. “But of course, the closer that you get to the reporting date, you’ll start to see more and more guys sign.”

Under the current regime, Matt Ryan and Peria Jerry were signed in time for camp. With the owners’ meeting in town, the Falcons signed Ryan in May, months before training camp opened.

Last year, Jerry was signed on a Thursday just before the start of camp on Saturday.

However, in 2008, Sam Baker’s first-round deal hit a last minute snag. He agreed to a contract late Friday night, but the contract was not approved by the league in time for Baker to start practice early Saturday.

Baker had to go upstairs and wait in an office until his contract was approved.

Baker joined the team one hour and 12 minutes after the first practice started. He was selected with the 21st pick, two picks behind where Weatherspoon was selected.

The number of DLed articles that get posted here amaze me considering how much he gets hated on. Must not be that bad.

I keep telling you folks, dude goes to the Branch more than any other beat writer I've ever seen. That includes Wyche, Winklejohn, Moore, Furman, Bradley, Shultz, you name it.

I saw him on late night local TV, then saw three or four articles and some blogging. In the last three days.

The thing about him to me is he seems to be much more of a Falcon fan than all the other haters that covered them. And yall hate him? I just don't get it. Is it the bow tie?

The number of DLed articles that get posted here amaze me considering how much he gets hated on. Must not be that bad.

I keep telling you folks, dude goes to the Branch more than any other beat writer I've ever seen. That includes Wyche, Winklejohn, Moore, Furman, Bradley, Shultz, you name it.

I saw him on late night local TV, then saw three or four articles and some blogging. In the last three days.

The thing about him to me is he seems to be much more of a Falcon fan than all the other haters that covered them. And yall hate him? I just don't get it. Is it the bow tie?

Dude, we get it. You've said something like this about D-Led countless number of times. You've said your opinions constantly about things that people get already. We get your opinion man. TRUST ME on that one. :lol:

Spoon will be there, no doubt in my mind. I'm sure he has told his agent to do whatever it takes to get the deal done by the end of today. I think it would be like torture for Spoon if he had to miss the first couple of days. He is probably itching to get out there just like the rest of the guys.

I dont understand the DLed hate. I think he is good.

Here's another point for spoons deal. Anybody want to guess on what spoon will get?

Source: McClain signs five-year deal

ESPN.com news services

NAPA, Calif. -- The Oakland Raiders signed first-round pick Rolando McClain to a contract late Wednesday night, hours before the start of their first training camp practice.

McClain, the eighth overall pick in April's draft, is just the third first-round pick to sign a contract and the highest overall pick to do so.

A league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that McClain signed a five-year deal worth $40 million that included $23 million guaranteed.

The Dallas Cowboys signed No. 24 pick Dez Bryant last week and the New England Patriots signed No. 27 pick Devin McCourty on Wednesday morning.

The Raiders got the deal done with their starting middle linebacker before taking the field for their first training camp practice on Thursday morning. It was not immediately known if McClain would make it to the team's facility in the wine country in time for the first session.

With McClain's signing, Oakland has gotten all nine of its draft picks under contract. The Raiders traditionally have done a good job getting their top picks into camp on time with the exception of JaMarcus Russell's lengthy holdout in 2007 that lasted until the start of the regular season.

Darrius Heyward-Bey missed the morning session on the first day a year ago before signing a deal that guaranteed him at least $23.5 million.

McClain was a key offseason addition the Raiders made in an attempt to upgrade their run defense, which ranked 29th last season. Oakland showed its confidence in McClain by trading incumbent starting middle linebacker Kirk Morrison to Jacksonville on the second day of the draft and quickly proclaiming McClain the starter.

McClain was part of Nick Saban's first recruiting class at Alabama, spending three years learning under one of the game's most respected defensive coaches. McClain was one of the key cogs in Saban's rapid turnaround at Alabama, helping the Crimson Tide win the national championship last season.

Alabama ranked 46th in the nation in run defense before McClain arrived. The Tide improved to 28th in his freshman year and second in his final two seasons. He won the Butkus Award as the top college linebacker, recording 105 tackles, including 14.5 for losses.

Now the Raiders hope he can have the same type of impact on another storied team that has had recent struggles. Since going to the Super Bowl following the 2002 season, the Raiders have lost at least 11 games the past seven years. They are 29-83 in that span, the second-worst record in the NFL.

Stopping the run has been a common theme to Oakland's struggles the past seven seasons. The Raiders have allowed an NFL-worst 143.7 yards rushing per game since then and 146 touchdowns on the ground -- 15 more than the second-worst team, St. Louis.

The Raiders also took defensive lineman Lamarr Houston in the second round and added two-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle John Henderson and outside linebacker Kamerion Wimbley in the offseason to bolster the run defense.

I thought about trying to compare McClain's deal to Spoon's since he was the second true LB taken in the draft but it is to much of a gap between the two. I say Spoon gets around $15-16 mil based of Dez getting $11 mil at 5 spots later. I think he will miss all of today though as a lot more teams report tomorrow and agents always wait for everybody else (idiots don't realize that if everybody is waiting nobody signs smh). Spoon should just tell him take what he can get and get him in camp at least for the first practice on time

Edited by vel

Here's another point for spoons deal. Anybody want to guess on what spoon will get?

Source: McClain signs five-year deal

ESPN.com news services

NAPA, Calif. -- The Oakland Raiders signed first-round pick Rolando McClain to a contract late Wednesday night, hours before the start of their first training camp practice.

McClain, the eighth overall pick in April's draft, is just the third first-round pick to sign a contract and the highest overall pick to do so.

A league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that McClain signed a five-year deal worth $40 million that included $23 million guaranteed.

The Dallas Cowboys signed No. 24 pick Dez Bryant last week and the New England Patriots signed No. 27 pick Devin McCourty on Wednesday morning.

The Raiders got the deal done with their starting middle linebacker before taking the field for their first training camp practice on Thursday morning. It was not immediately known if McClain would make it to the team's facility in the wine country in time for the first session.

With McClain's signing, Oakland has gotten all nine of its draft picks under contract. The Raiders traditionally have done a good job getting their top picks into camp on time with the exception of JaMarcus Russell's lengthy holdout in 2007 that lasted until the start of the regular season.

Darrius Heyward-Bey missed the morning session on the first day a year ago before signing a deal that guaranteed him at least $23.5 million.

McClain was a key offseason addition the Raiders made in an attempt to upgrade their run defense, which ranked 29th last season. Oakland showed its confidence in McClain by trading incumbent starting middle linebacker Kirk Morrison to Jacksonville on the second day of the draft and quickly proclaiming McClain the starter.

McClain was part of Nick Saban's first recruiting class at Alabama, spending three years learning under one of the game's most respected defensive coaches. McClain was one of the key cogs in Saban's rapid turnaround at Alabama, helping the Crimson Tide win the national championship last season.

Alabama ranked 46th in the nation in run defense before McClain arrived. The Tide improved to 28th in his freshman year and second in his final two seasons. He won the Butkus Award as the top college linebacker, recording 105 tackles, including 14.5 for losses.

Now the Raiders hope he can have the same type of impact on another storied team that has had recent struggles. Since going to the Super Bowl following the 2002 season, the Raiders have lost at least 11 games the past seven years. They are 29-83 in that span, the second-worst record in the NFL.

Stopping the run has been a common theme to Oakland's struggles the past seven seasons. The Raiders have allowed an NFL-worst 143.7 yards rushing per game since then and 146 touchdowns on the ground -- 15 more than the second-worst team, St. Louis.

The Raiders also took defensive lineman Lamarr Houston in the second round and added two-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle John Henderson and outside linebacker Kamerion Wimbley in the offseason to bolster the run defense.

I was just about to post this. The more 1st round signings the better. The fact that McClain is a LB and went earlier that Spoon should also play a role in negotiations. I think he's signed no later than Monday.

I don't get why you have to come to just about every article that has to do with the guy and post the same stuff over and over again, even though the majority of the time, no one has even said anything regarding the guy. I don't get it with some people on here and their "pre-fire" arguements. Arguing a side of something even though no one said anything about it to begin with.