Falcons' plans for the pass-rush

WoTFan

Some teams will identify a problem from season-to-season and the player personnel folks will find a solution, either through the draft, a trade or a free agency pickup. In 2009, one of the Atlanta Falcons' deficiencies was in the pass-rushing department; however, none of those three options was deployed.

Instead, the team is going to go with what they've got, hoping that the return of Peria Jerry -- and the promotion of Kroy Biermann to an increased role -- will be good enough. But there is something else: the luck of the schedule draw could be on their side.

According to Daniel Cox of AtlantaFalcons.com, the team will face an easier set of opposing offensive lines this season compared to last. Thus, even though they didn't necessarily add anyone (although Jerry might be considered an add, because he missed the final 14 games in 2009), the pass-rush should be better than it was a season ago.

In his mailbag column for the ESPN NFC South blog on Wednesday, Pat Yasinskas expands on the idea that the Falcons made a conscious decision to stand pat on the D-line group this offseason:

"I'm curious to see what Atlanta's pass rush does this season and that's definitely a key question for this team. I don't know the answer at this point. But I know I sat down with Mike Smith and Thomas Dimitroff in their offices back in May and asked why they hadn't done anything dramatic at defensive end. They think [Kroy] Biermann and [Lawrence] Sidbury have upside. They believe Peria Jerry and, maybe, rookie Corey Peters can help out with some inside push. More than anything, they believe John Abraham will bounce back with a big year. Again, I don't know how it will work out. But that's how Smith and Dimitroff see it and they know a lot more about defensive line play than I do."

We will be much better up front than you think! Say, for instance, the D-line starts with "Beerman" Babs, Jerry and Abe and Peters spells Jerry and Sidbury spells Abe. Sidbury breathes fire for playing time, especially at right end and Corey Peters will surprise everyone.

Wait and see!

We will be much better up front than you think! Say, for instance, the D-line starts with "Beerman" Babs, Jerry and Abe and Peters spells Jerry and Sidbury spells Abe. Sidbury breathes fire for playing time, especially at right end and Corey Peters will surprise everyone.

Wait and see!

I have been thinking about this the whole time (since we didn't draft a DE). But to be honest I see it going with JA98/Jerry/Babs/Abe starting then Biermann gets Abe for second down (if it is long) and then moves over for JA98 and Abe comes back for 3rd down. Obviously this doesn't include Sidbury but that is just one thought. JA98 is too good vs. the run to not start on first down. Yea Biermann can eventually fully replace JA98 but I think stopping the Steelers run game will be the only thing right now (with Leftwich being the QB lol). I think the ARI we will see Biermann starting because they are a more passing team and will have an easily rattled Leinart back there. Situations obviously will dictate play

Charlie Batch is the Steelers starting QB in place of Roethlisberger. Where everyone gets the idea that Leftwich will be starting is beyond me. Batch has always started whenever Roethlisberger has been out. Oh and if you think this year is different because they've got Leftwich than you people have a short memory because they had Leftwich in 2008 and Batch still started in place of Roethlisberger.

Charlie Batch is the Steelers starting QB in place of Roethlisberger. Where everyone gets the idea that Leftwich will be starting is beyond me. Batch has always started whenever Roethlisberger has been out. Oh and if you think this year is different because they've got Leftwich than you people have a short memory because they had Leftwich in 2008 and Batch still started in place of Roethlisberger.

you are correct. Never got why either ... I fully expect Batch to start ...

UUMMMM...... because of articles like these:

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

I mean these assumptions aren't coming out of thin air. None of those articles indicate Charlie Batch stepping in and I googled "Big Ben's replacement" to be fair. Sorry but this year is different. I will laugh all the way to the back with my first 'W' once Leftwich trots on that field as the starting QB.

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

I mean these assumptions aren't coming out of thin air. None of those articles indicate Charlie Batch stepping in and I googled "Big Ben's replacement" to be fair. Sorry but this year is different. I will laugh all the way to the back with my first 'W' once Leftwich trots on that field as the starting QB.

Well hmm. I wonder why this year is different. Batch has done a good job of stepping in whenever they have needed him. This makes no sense whatsover.

It's not like it would matter much either way. We will still kill the Steelers! B)

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

Because Leftwich is a bigger name perhaps. If Leftwich starts ... Great news for the Birds.

Well hmm. I wonder why this year is different. Batch has done a good job of stepping in whenever they have needed him. This makes no sense whatsover.

It's not like it would matter much either way. We will still kill the Steelers! B)

Yea it doesn't make any sense and I don't care that it doesn't neither. Batch is the better decision maker but I doubt they pull Leftwich midway through a game unless we have it in the bag. So as of now we will be playing Leftwich. I would be more intimidated playing Curtis Painter right now to be honest. All they will do is run the ball and hope their defense can win the game or maintain good field position. I don't think Polamalu will be 100% healthy his first game back either.

We all know it was not all a complete lack off a pass rush. Part of the reason Abe went from 16.5 to 5.5 sacks was because the QB's had already thrown the ball on our secondary. The addition of Robinson , and a healthyWilliams or Owens on the other side will give the D-Line more time to produce when guys aren't left wide open down field. Abe, Biermann, Sidbury, Jerry and Peters will have much better stats. Not to mention Babineaux and JA98 being solid rotation at DT.

Bottom line: CB's hold thier own, don't get torched every 2 and 3rd and long, the line will be more disruptive. Then of course we have Spoon in the mix and Moore who we have not really seen yet.

Bottom line: CB's hold thier own, don't get torched every 2 and 3rd and long, the line will be more disruptive. Then of course we have Spoon in the mix and Moore who we have not really seen yet.

I have to add to the bottom line; opponents (hopefully) will be behind in games more this year than last year.

I looked at games where the defense was never on the field when we were losing in the last two years. Games where either the score was tied or the Falcons were leading while the defense was on the field.

There were 9 in 2008 (Detroit, KC, GB, Chicago, Oakland, New Orleans (1st), Carolina (2nd), Tampa Bay (2nd), and Minnesota). In those games, Abraham had 15 of his 16.5 sacks.

In 2009, games where the defense was on the field with the score tied, or the Falcons leading for the entire game, there were only 4 (Miami, SF, Washington, and Buffalo). In those games, Abraham had 4 of his 5.5 sacks.

I know statistics are only statistics, but if the offense can put points up on the board, QB's can't just throw the ball away on 3rd and 10. They will have to hold onto it to try to keep up with the Falcons. Pressures last year will turn into sacks this year.

It won't matter who starts. Batch and Leftwich will both be toted off the field before half time and Dixon will be left running for his life in the 2nd half.

Wait and see!

I expect a great season from Anderson at the DT spot as well, it seems to be a more natural position for him, and he is in a contract year.

This will be an exciting line like the 98 team.