if i was a rookie and JA98 told me to carry his pads...

Mr.Nash

I probally would say no! I know its part of what rookies do, if Abe asked thats a different story. Samething with Dez Bryant.Im sure if it was Witten or somebody like that he would have carried them but it was garbage Roy Williams! the player he's probally gonna replace on the field. Just my thoughts on that. ( I know its not really falcons related) oh and by the way, anybody catch keith Brookings on NFL network pumping up the Cowboys? he looks like an ***! lol

I probally would say no! I know its part of what rookies do, if Abe asked thats a different story. Samething with Dez Bryant.Im sure if it was Witten or somebody like that he would have carried them but it was garbage Roy Williams! the player he's probally gonna replace on the field. Just my thoughts on that. ( I know its not really falcons related) oh and by the way, anybody catch keith Brookings on NFL network pumping up the Cowboys? he looks like an ***! lol

Then I guess everybody would think you are a disrespecting, all about me, punk rookie like they do Dez Bryant. lol!

If a rook won't carry Busterson's pads I fully expect Busterson to kick his as. Busterson is a four year vet. There is a protocol in football.

If Busterson punked out for some reason I would hope somebody else on the squad or in the FO would straighten the rook out.

Thats kinda my point, Anderson WOULDNT dare ask a him to do that! Did you hear anyback lash from the other Cowboy palyers about that? no, they didnt even take up for Roy...

Thats kinda my point, Anderson WOULDNT dare ask a him to do that! Did you hear anyback lash from the other Cowboy palyers about that? no, they didnt even take up for Roy...

Dez might actually have the last laugh out of this one. I think he learned his lesson with all the media attention he got, and said that he would correct it. Now wouldn't it be funny if he carried Roy Williams pads out of the Dallas compound for good when they eventually cut him?

The Cowboy players are doing their best not to act a fool in the media because they are a very high profile team. However, I GUARANTEE you, this is coming up in the locker room. Yesterday Jamal Lewis was on 790 talking about how he was a stud 1st round pick having to carry the pads of the backup fullback. There is a protocol in football, not just in the NFL but in high school and college as well.

It doesn't matter if the player asking you is a stud or scrub, this is a veteran who is at least good enough to last several years in the NFL (Some guys can't find their way back in the league after one or two years) and he does deserve respect.

Roy Williams was a Pro Bowler. Anderson is barely scraping rookie level stats. So it is not the same thing. Plus I doubt JA98 would even worry about a rookie carrying his pads. I bet Biermann didn't carry his pads. Miles Austin didn't give his pads to Bryant it was Williams. Austin is the better player and was drafted lower than all 3 players in this argument and had all right to haze him but didn't worry about it. Some players look forward to it (i.e. roy Williams) some players just welcome the rookie and let the other players do the hazing (i.e. Miles Austin)

Vets get rookies to carry their pads. Those who have paid dues and been through the wars. If you are still on your original rookie deal in the verge of possibility getting cut, you don't dare ask somebody to carry your pads.

Like in high school, only the Seniors can mess with the Freshman. If you are a Sophomore, you still gotta wait your turn.

If a rook won't carry Busterson's pads I fully expect Busterson to kick his as. Busterson is a four year vet. There is a protocol in football.

If Busterson punked out for some reason I would hope somebody else on the squad or in the FO would straighten the rook out.

Absolutely. Doesn't matter if it's Jamal, you don't go around disrespecting a vet until you paid your dues. Some of these vets have rings, others have pro-bowls or play-off experience, and others have been around long enough to know how to survive in this league. You just don't know which one of them may have something useful that may help a rookie out.

30 years ago this incident would have never reached the media because the players would have dealt with this privately. I got a feeling Bryant was zeroed in by this particular reporter because of his reputation in college and because of the team that drafted him.

I think it's all part of respect. I would say it may be difficult for someone to respect a highly paid/drafted starter who has been outperformed by everyone else at his position.

Like I said before, Should Dez have carried his pads? Maybe Is Williams just being an azz about it because Dez will be his eventually flight out of Dallas? Maybe They could have just kept this news in Dallas, but anything is news in Big D.

Edited by FalconinPA

Like I said before, Should Dez have carried his pads? Maybe Is Williams just being an azz about it because Dez will be his eventually flight out of Dallas? Maybe They could have just kept this news in Dallas, but anything is news in Big D.

Ill take B for 1,000, Roy is an Azz...

meh...in any group/organization, you usually have to pay dues to those who have been in said group/organization the longest. if you just met some friends, and everybody else is ragging on John(we'll just call him John :rolleyes: ) I doubt too many people would start talking about his mom/lisp/whatever is wrong with him the 1st time you meet him. in football, they have a sense that said rookies/newcomers have to prove themselves as 1) respectful and 2) won't be on the field ignoring vets because they saw a SportsCenter highlight of them dropping a few balls/whiffing a few tackles. Roddy White has had nothing but great things to say of Joe Horn, someone who couldn't even make an impact on our 4-12 Falcons team. in this organization, you probably would've been handled rather quickly, i'm sure that antics like these would fly with the Oakland Raiders though :lol:

meh...in any group/organization, you usually have to pay dues to those who have been in said group/organization the longest. if you just met some friends, and everybody else is ragging on John(we'll just call him John :rolleyes: ) I doubt too many people would start talking about his mom/lisp/whatever is wrong with him the 1st time you meet him. in football, they have a sense that said rookies/newcomers have to prove themselves as 1) respectful and 2) won't be on the field ignoring vets because they saw a SportsCenter highlight of them dropping a few balls/whiffing a few tackles. Roddy White has had nothing but great things to say of Joe Horn, someone who couldn't even make an impact on our 4-12 Falcons team. in this organization, you probably would've been handled rather quickly, i'm sure that antics like these would fly with the Oakland Raiders though :lol:

Joe Horn is waaay more respected than Roy Williams, and i hate the Aints..

I think part of is is kind of a mentor thing. You carry their pads, buy them some steak dinners, etc., and they will give you some pointers. I'm not sure why kind of pointers I would want someone like Roy Williams to give anyone else. How to not get separation in single coverage? How to not run routes? How to have terrible hands? Maybe can spread his knowledge about having zero chemistry with a QB.

On the same hand, I'm not necessarily sure I would want JA98 explaining anything about hustle or rushing the passer.

Joe could at least catch the ball. I remember after our chronic drop problems in 2007, I remember him bringing down a very hard to catch ball in preseason. I was so surprised someone managed to catch the ball I stood up in my seat. He didn't really play well after that, but he did have experience and he did mentor Roddy.