Language changes in blocking rules could affect Georgia Tech’s option.

SacFalcFan

How does this affect Georgia Tech? Well, according to head coach Paul Johnson, very minimally, if at all.

“It’s always been illegal to crack back below the waist. That’s been illegal forever,” Johnson said. “I don’t think anybody teaches that.”

I agreed with Beamer when it all came up to begin with... but that's what happens when you can only get undersized o-linemen to run in your offense and they're playing against Sunday talented defenses.

yep.. and paul johnson knows this will affect his team.. it's something many of the acc coaches and other coaches who played against gt complain about..

It won't change anything. I ran the option in HS and I can tell you with full confidence this will change nada. And it certainly won't change the way Paul Johnsons coaches or runs his plays.

it will affect how it's called.. the complaints of the opposing coaches has been heard and that's why the wording and emphasis on it. you get a few more penalties in games like that and it can affect the outcome.

A crackback is an illegal block where a lineman outside of 7 yards of the ball or in the backfield blocks towards the ball and below the waist within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. Offensive linemen (and traditional tight ends), by definition, cannot be guilty of a crackback as they are lined up within 7 yards of the ball. Wide receivers and slotbacks in the backfield are the target of enforcement of this rule. The intent of the clarification is to tighten the ability of the WR/SB to not allow them to take any kind of angle toward the defender they are blocking. The rules require that the blockers are required to be perpendicular to the line of scrimmage when they block the defender. As demonstration of the call, Rhoads showed film clips of 2 missed crackback calls – which interestingly enough were both Georgia Tech blockers (A-backs). He showed a third video of a called crackback which turned out to be incorrect as well since the blocker had properly squared up to the defender prior to contact being made.

2 missed calls and 1 incorrect call.

Considering the O-line can not be guilty (by definition) then this should not affect GT very much. It will cause the A-backs to have to be more aware of the way they block but it should also affect other teams also. Tech isn't the only only school where the backs block this. They are just the main school that coaches cry about.

Sorry, that this reply has nothing to do academic rankings. :D

Its funny how the nerds always bring up how there school is so much better and higher education. Tech is good for one thing, to be an engineer... Also I like to point out that half my friends didnt get into UGA and got into Tech when we applied coming out of high school. Its much more competitive to get into UGA now then it is for tech.

now go play dungeons and dragons and watch your star stek reruns

number 1 tard bunny

then emory

then state

then uga

not talking about football(even though were ranked better)

talking about higher education

:lol: Oh Lord.. Diggin' deep there, are ya buddy? "We're ranked batter" cling to that, you'll need it.

How dare you talk about football on a football message board! :lol:

Watch out or you'll get called a name like "tard bunny" too! :lol:

I know, I was expecting a negative rating for not pointing out that the pizza delivery guy that came to my house last night had a UGA Alumni tag on the front of his car and actually discussing the topic. :P

Seriously, I stay away from the trash talking and only chime in when I feel like I have something to actually say.

Also, stereotyping all Tech fans as "Nerds" is about as played out as calling all UGA fans "Rednecks".

Edited by Jay Posey

number 1 tard bunny

then emory

then state

then uga

not talking about football(even though were ranked better)

talking about higher education

Well since you wanna be technical and list them in order or something... get educated.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-universities-rankings

1. Emory University (rank 17) on pg 1

2. Georgia Institute of Technology (rank 35) on pg 2

3. University of Georgia (tied rank 58) on pg 3

Georgia State University is not ranked, but listed as Tier 4 on pg 9 with Georgia Southern and many other national universities.

Well since you wanna be technical and list them in order or something... get educated.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-universities-rankings

Georgia State University is not ranked, but listed as Tier 4 on pg 9 with Georgia Southern and many other national universities.

So, does that make Emory bigger nerds than GT?

uga is one of the best schools out there.. nothing to explain to a fan who is on a college board and brings up academics.. lol

uga is one of the best schools out there.. nothing to explain to a fan who is on a college board and brings up academics.. lol

Well, I think we need a College Academics forum. It's only fair to us GT fans. I've got so many Academic stats saved on my hard drive and nowhere to brag about them..