"The Turner Rules"

"Regardless of Michael Turner's renewed dedication to getting his body in peak condition, the Atlanta Falcons do not expect to lean on the RB as their workhorse. At least, not as much as in 2008. ESPN's John Clayton reported earlier this offseason that the Falcons plan to keep Turner under the 300-carry threshold in 2010.

While no similar snap-count limit was listed by D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution during his preview of the Falcons' RBs on Tuesday, he did write that "the coaches plan to spread some of Turner's carries around," getting Jerious Norwood and Jason Snelling more involved.

So, will we see a repeat of Turner's 2008 performance, when he led many a fantasy team to glory? Not if the application of a new balanced offensive philosophy takes true shape, according to what ESPN NFC South blogger Pat Yasinskas wrote in May:"

And at the end theyre referring to the article Pat wrote on Turner being back in shape, if u didnt see it before its http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/23374/the-burner-is-back-and-in-top-shape

I don't think Turner is going to be as limited as what he is making him out to be. He may not carry for 336, but he'll probably carry for 295. He helps make this offense go, he will be used, and not just sparingly

I agree ....he will be used as needed ......if the mofo is on a roll, they gonna let him roll ....

I think his numbers will go down for 2 main reasons:

1)Our passing attack should continue to improve on it's efficiency...so we wont have to always lean on the running game.

2)Snelling proved very capable of toting the rock and catching the ball out of the backfield...coupled with a hopefully fully healthy Norwood, and we are money.

I think his numbers will go down for 2 main reasons:

1)Our passing attack should continue to improve on it's efficiency...so we wont have to always lean on the running game.

2)Snelling proved very capable of toting the rock and catching the ball out of the backfield...coupled with a hopefully fully healthy Norwood, and we are money.

It's difficult to put a lot of hope into Norwood being fully healthy, or remaining that way. I'm not too worried about that though as Snelling will be a great backup to Turner. If Norwood doesn't stay healthy, we will lose some big play ability in the running game, but we can still be an excellent running team.

It's hard to hope for this, but I hope Norwood stays healthy. If he does, it's going to be tough to keep a gameplan against our running backs. Snelling is more than capable of taking snaps for Turner, and Norwood can come out in a situational role. (Much like Reggie Bush in NO)

I think Turners carries will remain right around the 300 - 315 number though.

It's hard to hope for this, but I hope Norwood stays healthy. If he does, it's going to be tough to keep a gameplan against our running backs. Snelling is more than capable of taking snaps for Turner, and Norwood can come out in a situational role. (Much like Reggie Bush in NO)

I think Turners carries will remain right around the 300 - 315 number though.

Yea, for sure he's a fragile little thing .......

I think our Sqaud thinks as a teams. Turner wont be worried about touches because he IS our running game. Snelling and Norwood are great sidekicks and they know their roles. The FO would be foolish not to spell Turner with Snelling after he played big last year. The jets used Greene and Jones the same way. Also with a Healthy Norwood, who is always a second away from a touchdown, we have a RB trio that is very underrated but very efficient. Keep Turner fresh for the playoffs baby!!!!!!

Turner is still being paid to be the #1 back on our team. I'm sure they may have more plays for Norwood and Snelling, which is fine, I've always thought we need more RB passes anyway. I still see Turner averaging at least 85% of the touches.

I don't think Turner is going to be as limited as what he is making him out to be. He may not carry for 336, but he'll probably carry for 295. He helps make this offense go, he will be used, and not just sparingly

This is what both my wife and I were thinking, but I had come up with 250. If he at least gains 4ypc thats good for us.

This is what both my wife and I were thinking, but I had come up with 250. If he at least gains 4ypc thats good for us.

He's never averaged under 4.5 in his career so I think he will be right around that area and like you said, that will be good for us. I think your in the ballpark with 250 carries, I originally said 295, so I'm sure somewhere in b/t is where he'll be. He is going to be a huge part of this offense. He is still making the big money from his FA contract, and I don't see them turning our backfield into a total 3back system. I think Snelling and Norwood will get their share of touches, but I see the bulk going to Turner. That's what they are paying him for.

I would like to see Norwood and Snelling involved more in the passing game, not in a predictable way as I am sure they will have carries too, but Norwood is very effective catching passes out of the backfield. I think Snelling will be too. We need a screen game.

dam this DP. I hit reply once and it throws up two post. I think the problem in-lies with this mac. I never had more problems out of something that is advertised as a worry free system. go figure. Dam cooling fans sound like 747 Jet engines on these iMacs

Edited by JKH5785

It's difficult to put a lot of hope into Norwood being fully healthy, or remaining that way. I'm not too worried about that though as Snelling will be a great backup to Turner. If Norwood doesn't stay healthy, we will lose some big play ability in the running game, but we can still be an excellent running team.

One of the problems last year was after Norwood went down and then Turner, there was nobody left. We got the ex Saint but he was too old and slow to help.

We got Smith last year and he was put on the PS and should know the play book by now. I think if Norwood goes down this year, Smith will get the nod (if Nance does't take his spot) and hopefully he plays lights out. We'll get chance to see him shortly.

One thing I can say about Norwood, sometimes his injuries look like they could be avoided if he learned how to land properly. Sometimes he lands so awkwardly, 80% of the time, it's on of those awkward landings that he gets up injured from.

He's never averaged under 4.5 in his career so I think he will be right around that area and like you said, that will be good for us. I think your in the ballpark with 250 carries, I originally said 295, so I'm sure somewhere in b/t is where he'll be. He is going to be a huge part of this offense. He is still making the big money from his FA contract, and I don't see them turning our backfield into a total 3back system. I think Snelling and Norwood will get their share of touches, but I see the bulk going to Turner. That's what they are paying him for.

I would like to see Norwood and Snelling involved more in the passing game, not in a predictable way as I am sure they will have carries too, but Norwood is very effective catching passes out of the backfield. I think Snelling will be too. We need a screen game.

Exactly

I don't think Turner will need as many carries this year to be as productive as he was in 2008. I think our passing game will be so improved and feared that it will open up more holes for our running game. We won't see as many 50-60 yard games out of Turner