Titans sue Kiffin, USC

Unknøwn

The Tennessee Titans have sued Southern California and its new coach Lane Kiffin after the school hired away Kennedy Pola a week before training camp opens.

The lawsuit, filed Monday in Davidson County Chancery Court, claims that Kiffin "maliciously" interfered with Pola's contract with the NFL team in inducing him to leave.

Pola was hired as running backs coach of the Titans in January but left to become the Trojans offensive coordinator and running backs coach over the weekend.

The Tennessean reported that the lawsuit claims: "as a result of USC and Kiffin's tortuous conduct, Tennessee [Titans] football has been damaged in an amount proven at trial."

The lawsuit also accuses USC and Kiffin of violating Pola's contract that required him to have written permission to discuss a job with anyone other than the Titans.

The Tennessean first reported the lawsuit on its website.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher was not happy with Kiffin's role in Pola's departure.

"I am very disappointed in Lane Kiffin's approach to this," Fisher said on Saturday, according to the Tennessean. "Typically speaking when coaches are interested in hiring or discussing potential employment from coaches on respective staffs there is a courtesy call made from the head coach or athletic director indicating there is an interest in talking to the assistant.

"So I am very disappointed in the lack of professionalism on behalf of Lane, to call me and leave me a voice mail after Kennedy had informed me he had taken the job. It is just a lack of professionalism."

Kiffin has not been popular in the state of Tennessee since leaving the state university after only one year to coach USC.

Kiffin disputed that he stole away Pola, who coached running backs and special teams at USC from 2000-03.

"We reached out to Kennedy Pola [Friday] to gauge whether he had any possible interest in returning to USC before we moved forward with the process," Kiffin said in a statement released by USC.

"Kennedy said he would think about it and get back to us [saturday]. Once Kennedy did call back earlier [saturday], out of my great respect for Coach Fisher I immediately reached out to Coach to make him aware of the situation. I have spoken with Coach Fisher and he now has an accurate understanding of the timeline of events.

"We realize the timing of this isn't perfect for all parties, but this is a great opportunity and promotion for Kennedy."

Kiffin is such a frickin liar. You don't contact Pola first, you contact the HC first and get permission to gauge his interest. Kiffin is a liar and I think hes just in over his head and don't know how to be the head coach of a small program much less at major program like UT and USC. He doesn't think for a second that maybe he needs to contact Fisher or Tennessee first before contacting Pola, what a idiot.

One last thing, new AD, new culture of doing things the right away (or least thats what they're trying to portray) and then Kiffin getting the school sued over an Assistant coach. That surely couldn't go well.

Edited by Andrew

Kiffin is such a frickin liar. You don't contact Pola first, you contact the HC first and get permission to gauge his interest. Kiffin is a liar and I think hes just in over his head and don't know how to be the head coach of a small program much less at major program like UT and USC. He doesn't think for a second that maybe he needs to contact Fisher or Tennessee first before contacting Pola, what a idiot.

One last thing, new AD, new culture of doing things the right away (or least thats what they're trying to portray) and then Kiffin getting the school sued over an Assistant coach. That surely couldn't go well.

Kiffin is not going to last more than a couple of years. What did Pat Haden do the minute he was named new AD of USC? He returned Bush's Heisman trophy, a big time insult, and then he slammed Pete Carrol. Who was an offensive coach on that staff during the time Carrol and Bush were there? Kiffin.

Haden has his sights trained on Kiffin, and after this debacle, I'm sure he's gone into lock on mode.

Kiffin is not going to last more than a couple of years. What did Pat Haden do the minute he was named new AD of USC? He returned Bush's Heisman trophy, a big time insult, and then he slammed Pete Carrol. Who was an offensive coach on that staff during the time Carrol and Bush were there? Kiffin.

Haden has his sights trained on Kiffin, and after this debacle, I'm sure he's gone into lock on mode.

kiffin won't last long at all and Pat Haden is too much of a professional and good guy to put up with his childish crap.

After this situation, I give Kiffin on more mistake and he may not make it through his first season.

I don't think Haden will allow Lane to step all over the rules, and look the other way while Lane continues to commit secondary violations, ala his time as UT. However, Haden was on the Board of Directors that apporved of Kiffin being hired, so I don't think Haden would want to look bad by firing someone he was in support of hiring. I think Haden will have frequent talks with Lane and impress upon him how important following the rules will be. I applaud southern cal for putting Haden in that spot.

But the thing that really pizzes me off about Lane is he never addresses the situation, or any possible errors on his part. I mean, his response to all of the fuss about his lack of class in this situation was not to admit that he let things be handled in a way that made himself look bad. Instead, he just pushed that aside and only talked about how good of an opportunity this job was for the new OC. Lane is as immature as a boy, but he holds a position in which he needs to behave like a man. No wonder he gets along so well with potential recruits; he's on the exact same level maturity wise.

If Lane loses the job at southern cal, his next step is either as HC in Div. II, or as an OC in the FBS, or maybe a position coach in the NFL. He will not be given another top tier program to run. He77, he's never earned any HC job that he was fortunate enough to get.

LK is too immature to be a high school head coach much less a Div I HC and a huge part of that is he has never had to earn his way in his field or this world period. Most every coach who makes it to be a Div 1 job has paid some serious dues to get there and LK skipped over a lot of that being the son of MK with all is connections.

kiffin won't last long at all and Pat Haden is too much of a professional and good guy to put up with his childish crap.

Quoted For Truth. Jeff Fisher and the Titans just got some respect from me for what they are doing to Kiffin and this is coming for someone who has a great dislike for anything Vols. Kiffin reminds me too much of the scumbag Petrino for my taste.