Article made me glad we didnt draft Dez

TallDrink26

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5409306

SAN ANTONIO -- Receiver Dez Bryant has done everything right on the field during the first two days of Dallas Cowboys training camp, but he refuses to participate in an NFL rite of passage.

According to the rookie first-round pick, Roy Williams and the other veteran receivers can carry their own shoulder pads after practice.

Williams gave his pads to Bryant after Sunday's morning practice, but Bryant declined to carry them. Williams threatened to go to "step two" when talking to reporters.

More on the Cowboys

Calvin Watkins and Tim MacMahon have the Cowboys blanketed for ESPNDallas.com. Check in with their constantly updated coverage. Blog

"I'm not doing it," Bryant said. "I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player's pads."

"If I was a free agent, it would still be the same thing. I just feel like I'm here to play football. I'm here to try to help win a championship, not carry someone's pads. I'm saying that out of no disrespect to [anyone]."

It's a common duty for rookies, who typically get some sort of hazing. Bill Parcells used to make first-round picks bring him water during breaks in practice. The Cowboys' rookie offensive linemen are given awful haircuts by the veterans at some point during each training camp.

"Everybody has to go through it," Williams said. "I had to go through it. No matter if you're a No. 1 pick or the 7,000th pick, you've still got to do something when you're a rookie.

"I carried pads. I paid for dinners. I paid for lunches. I did everything I was supposed to do, because I didn't want to be that guy."

What would "step two" be?

"We'll find out. Definitely going to find out," Williams said. "I don't know. I've seen guys take people's credit cards and go fill up their cards and wife's cards and everything. There's a lot of dirt that goes on in that locker room."

Bryant, a Lufkin, Texas, native who went to Oklahoma State, has become an immediate fan favorite. He made several spectacular catches during each practice in the Alamodome -- where the crowd roars even when he makes routine plays -- and runs a lap around the field high-fiving fans before going into the locker room.

Williams, an Odessa, Texas, native and University of Texas product, is a frequent target of fan criticism due to his poor production since being traded from the Detroit Lions during the 2008 season. He was booed during Sunday morning's practice when he dropped a pass, although Pro Bowler Miles Austin didn't get similar treatment when he had a drop in the afternoon session.

"I bought a Ford F-250 2011. Everybody loves a new car but I also have a 2004 Navigator that's still running," Williams said about the perception that Bryant will soon be the starter. "So that's the way I feel."

There has been no previous friction between Williams and Bryant, whose arrival puts Williams' status as a starter in jeopardy. Williams has consistently praised Bryant publicly and made it clear that the rookie could come to him with any questions that he had.

Williams believes it's a veteran's duty to serve as a mentor to rookies. And he believes it's a rookie's duty to carry the veterans' shoulder pads to the locker room after practice.

"I don't believe in that at all," Bryant said. "We have a goal here. It's not about playing games. It's all about just trying to do the right thing and achieve our goal."

Tim MacMahon covers the Cowboys for ESPNDallas.com You can follow him on Twitter or leave a question for his weekly mailbag.

Like Roy said "everyone goes through hazing". Its not about pride its about paying your dues. This is a straight cancer to the team move and he hasnt even suited up yet.

I was excited about Spoon but right before they announced the pick my wishful thinking was Dez. Ive always wanted the Superhero receiver. I wanted Moss here. I wanted us to move up and get Calvin but this puts my mind at ease. It can seem like its not a big deal but I think his actions are a huge deal and Im relieved we didnt take him. Nice job TD good thing you dont listen to Wift Hitter

Edited by TallDrink26

His actions may not be that big of a deal but he has definitely gotten off on the wrong foot in terms of being cool with his teammates. May not be much of anything but it shows a level of immaturity and selfishness and being a " me " type of player.

I was not enthralled with Dez Bryant this past draft and I for one am glad we didn't take him. We don't need prima donna players in the locker room.

Am I the only person who sees this as confirmation that this guy is going to be a monster?

He doesn't need anyone's approval - he has the confidence to reject traditions and let his play on the field do the talking. He signs his contract early, is the first one in and last one out of camp, and doesn't stand for any bulls##t peer pressure.

Yes, he probably isn't the type of character to fit in to our blue-collar lockerroom, but I think Dallas is going to be very happy with his on-field production.

Am I the only person who sees this as confirmation that this guy is going to be a monster?

He doesn't need anyone's approval - he has the confidence to reject traditions and let his play on the field do the talking. He signs his contract early, is the first one in and last one out of camp, and doesn't stand for any bulls##t peer pressure.

Yes, he probably isn't the type of character to fit in to our blue-collar lockerroom, but I think Dallas is going to be very happy with his on-field production.

For Jerry's sake I hope your right. Jones has always been a bit of a gambler when it comes to these types of players. Roy Williams has similar traits and no one denies his abilities as a receiver, but why would the Lions give up on the guy? Then there's T.O. He definitely didn't bring a championship to Dallas after much hype.

So far, these types of moves have been counter-productive or at least proved ineffective in terms of getting the Cowboys to the promise land. There's a reason why Dallas is one of the biggest soap operas in the NFL and taking a player in the draft that had a reputation of doing this type of stuff before playing a single down in the NFL to me is just adding to it.

It is just my opinion, but winning just one play-off game in the last 4 play-off appearances says maybe these guys just don't want it.

Valid points. I def think he will be a monster and a workout warrior and want to win over anything but T.O was all the same things including showing up his teammates and disrupting team chemistry and eventually a Team Obliterator as Skip Bayless puts it. Its not bs peer pressure its about being humbled and showing respect to the guys who have been in trenches already and you are one of them. Now many of the vets are going to be pissed off which maybe wont have an affect on teams performance but there shouldnt even be this conflict by a Rook to begin with

If i was Dez I wouldn't carry Roy's shoulder pads either. The fact that he didn't want to carry his shoulder pads has no bearing on what kind of teammate he will be.

Maybe he was told Roy is getting the ax so he figured he wouldnt bother but prob not and showing disrespect to a vet has weight on what type of teammate he is I guarantee you this irritated every single player.

If i was Dez I wouldn't carry Roy's shoulder pads either. The fact that he didn't want to carry his shoulder pads has no bearing on what kind of teammate he will be.

Exactly, especially when Dez Bryant will start opposite Miles Austin and Roy Williams will be finding himself a comfortable spot on the bench.

and for the record, I am glad you guys didn't draft Bryant either. I was glad to see him fall to 24. Still am happy.

Well he better be a playa..that's all I can say if he's doing that. If he falters early in the season this will be looked back at by everyone including that locker room. One other thing..I'm not a Parcells fan, but what I would give to hear Parcells go off if he was still the coach, that would be must see tv! :lol:

Well he better be a playa..that's all I can say if he's doing that. If he falters early in the season this will be looked back at by everyone including that locker room. One other thing..I'm not a Parcells fan, but what I would give to hear Parcells go off if he was still the coach, that would be must see tv! :lol:

Parcells was 10 times the Dbag Bryant ever will be. Forgotten how Parcells used the Falcons?

And he tried to win in Dallas by bringing in every ex player retread he had ever coached. Vinny Testeverde, Drew Bledsoe..really?

And if he falters, people won't care about this. They will be upset at a highly touted draft pick not getting it done on the field. Period. Which is why Roy Williams is so shameful.

Keep your hazing, just bring "it" to the field.

I'll go on record and say "I think Dez will be a mild bust".

And not because of the 'tardedness he shows here, or while in college, but because team chemistry is far more important than people think.

Thats why guys like Brian Finneran, Greg Lewis, Sean Morey, Legedu Naanee, Lance Moore, etc all prosper in the NFL.

good lord.

dez bryant is EXACTLY who i want on this team. we completely missed when we passed on bryant. he would have been our #1 WR by next year without a doubt. people fuss over him not carrying mr. "I can't catch crap and don't care"'s pads? How about the fact that he made a push to get signed and be in camp on time despite the fact that no other first rounder is signed and the cowboys reported first of all the nfl teams. How about the fact that he is on the field working out 45 minutes before practice and before any other cowboy?

roy williams hasn't shown that much heart since.... when? roy williams should be carrying dez bryant's pads.

WR's are notoriously self centered and egotistical.. Doesn't matter if he makes plays on Sundays. It's not a position that requires leadership like QB..Usually the bigger a-hole you are, the better player you end up being at that position.. Even Marvin Harrison who everyone though was a choir boy ended up being a villian..

WR's are notoriously self centered and egotistical.. Doesn't matter if he makes plays on Sundays. It's not a position that requires leadership like QB..Usually the bigger a-hole you are, the better player you end up being at that position.. Even Marvin Harrison who everyone though was a choir boy ended up being a villian..

Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Chris Carter? I dont think any player on the planet would call them an a-hole.

And there was always the walking d-bag known as Freddie Mitchell...and i'm pretty sure he was complete garbage in the NFL.

Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Chris Carter? I dont think any player on the planet would call them an a-hole.

And there was always the walking d-bag known as Freddie Mitchell...and i'm pretty sure he was complete garbage in the NFL.

You obviously don't know much about Cocaine Chris Carter and how he ended up in Minny..

Jerry Rice, who has such an ego he asked to wear a RETIRED number for Seattle? Not an A hole?

And as someone mentioned, Chris Carter the cokehead?

Here's the deal here, had some reciever been the overall# 1 pick in the draft and went to some team like Buffalo or Seattle, nothing would have been written about this.

But if Dez had been the 160th pick instead of the 24th and still went to the Cowboys, this would be just as big because people love to write about the Cowboys, good , bad whatever.

Dez punked that punk Roy and it needed to be done. Roy who said he wasn't playing as well as expected because Romo threw different to him than the other recievers. :rolleyes: