Jenkins

tone357

I was just reading a post regarding Harry Douglas and noticed that Jenkins gets no respect from more than a few of our fans. I understand because he practically disapears for long stretches during the games. But if you guys can remember, when Ryan went down to turf toe, and Redmon came in, it was like Jenkins was a new man. Of course he was the same guy, it was just that Redmon threw the ball to him. I'm hoping as Matty Ice matures, he will start to survey the entire field, and use "ALL " of his available weapons. Including Jenkins!

I was just reading a post regarding Harry Douglas and noticed that Jenkins gets no respect from more than a few of our fans. I understand because he practically disapears for long stretches during the games. But if you guys can remember, when Ryan went down to turf toe, and Redmon came in, it was like Jenkins was a new man. Of course he was the same guy, it was just that Redmon threw the ball to him. I'm hoping as Matty Ice matures, he will start to survey the entire field, and use "ALL " of his available weapons. Including Jenkins!

Jenks is hit and miss. For every great downfield block, every clutch catch (Ryan's first pass, out of bounds with 1 second less vs. Chicago), you have the Drops (Giants, Ain'ts), the Offensive PI against the Pats to lose a TD that would've put us in the game, and I can't count how many deflections he's had that turned to INTs. He's very frustrating considering he was a 1st round pick. If he were a 3rd or 4th, I don't think he'd be under the same scrutiny.

Grammar Nazi: Redman. It's Redman.

Next, the problem is he disappears for long periods of time. He struggles with hands and separation issues. He can show up and look great some times, and then no one knows what happens with him for the patches in between.

I agree he doesn't get the respect he deserves. He is a great blocker, and does make some great plays. He should look a lot better with Douglas in the slot this year. But he isn't consistent, and that means he can't be relied upon. I think that is why he disappears, because Ryan isn't comfortable throwing to him after he gets a case of the dropsies.

He has the potential to turn it around, but honestly, he is at the age where he is what he is. He is a good #2 who can run block very well. Improving that position still remains at the top of our list of needs.

im goin to end this right now..... Jenkins is the type that ''wow u'' on certain plays, but more often then not, he is the type that ''how could u drop that'' kind of a player... this isnt a coincedence..... i mean even our ex rival caoch gruden said they need to find a compliment.... one more thing... knowing last year that all the pass rushing problems we had, and the coverage problems we had.... y did the staff even PONDER taking demarious thomas WR from GT? i mean cmon.... we all knew wat was more important for that first round, either a LB,orDE... who do u think he would have replaced? roddy? H*** NO, douglas? NO, so who does that leave???? good ol hard hands jenkins.... thats almost always catching the ball with his body...

respect is earned not giving, just like being a leader.... u cant do that by leading the team in drops the last two or three years.....

my lack of respect for jenkins is from his 6 year career in the nfl, a couple of games with chris redman last year doesnt affect it much. especially since we lost 2 out of 3 games with redman, not saying its his fault at all, he played well but who cares who thrives in a loss.

Jenkins does what is asked of him. He blocks for our #1 and #2(White & Gonzo). And he Blocks for Turner. About all I really expect from him. He shows flashes where he is very good, and flashes when he's bad. I understand that he was a first rounder, but he didn't pan out the way he was expected to. Lets go ahead and get over that. He's ok, not great, but ok. I'm a fan.

Jenkins does what is asked of him. He blocks for our #1 and #2(White & Gonzo). And he Blocks for Turner. About all I really expect from him. He shows flashes where he is very good, and flashes when he's bad. I understand that he was a first rounder, but he didn't pan out the way he was expected to. Lets go ahead and get over that. He's ok, not great, but ok. I'm a fan.

Agree with Josh...good receive but not great.

Agree with tone that Jenks does not get enough credit fo what he does well for then team. He is a very good blocking Wr.

However I do not agree that Ryan's immaturity and ability to search the field is the reason for Jenks decrease in numbers. Ryan is a very mature young man and Qb. Studies tape more than most so he knows who/where/when to make the throw. He doesn't seem to be overly nervous in the pocket and rush his throws.

if Jenks decrease in production bothers him then he needs to take initiative and work more with Ryan. Ryan's has ample receivers to throw to. It is up to each receiver to make an imprssion on him and gain his confidence. I'm sure Ryan will be staying late to make extra throws, study film...Jenks should join him. I'm not saying Jenks is not a hard worker; i'm just saying it is not always the Qbs fault. It is not the sole responsibility of the Qb to make every receiver happy. Raymond Berry was Unitas' favorite receiver even though all other receivers were more athletic. Why, because they studied film together, stayed late after practice. More recently M harrison and P Manning did the same.

you just don't want your #2 WR to be suspect for replacement. Right now, Jenkins is barely holding on to the spot because of lack of a replacement. I really hope he turns his game around, but I'm not seeing anything in the news about him putting in any extra work. I would think that if Tony and Roddy can put in extra work with the seasons they turned out, Jenkins is not exempt by far.

Bottom line to me is that your #2 WR shouldn't be suspect for replacement. If a better option turns up this season, or we draft one next season, Jenkins could be looking at being demoted.

He is decent run block, but his job title is RECEIVER. When he is called upon to do that job, we need to know that we can trust him.

I think Ryan is a special QB, and we need to put the best talent around him as possible.

Most of you guys above talked about all the flaws in Jenkins's game, but something to keep in thought is the WRs we were linked to this past year.

When Anquan Boldin was traded, we were one of teams that was interested in him. During draft time, we were strongly linked to Demariyus Thomas, and he was a guy we were looking at in the first round.

That's all I'm going to say about this Jenkins topic.

Most of you guys above talked about all the flaws in Jenkins's game, but something to keep in thought is the WRs we were linked to this past year.

When Anquan Boldin was traded, we were one of teams that was interested in him. During draft time, we were strongly linked to Demariyus Thomas, and he was a guy we were looking at in the first round.

That's all I'm going to say about this Jenkins topic.

that doesnt make any sense, ur actually helping make him look bad, if he was ddoing a good enough job n doing everything they asked for, we wouldnt even look at boldon or thomas... that in itself proves they feel that the #2 spot can be better..... remember MIKE SMITH stress consistency and sastainability, somethin that jenkins hasnt done in his career... matt threw the ball more last year but jenks number still went down, u can say cause of gonzo. but not really cause HD wasnt even in the line up all year n his numbers still went down, i think he droped about 8-10 balls last year, which is a BIG difference in 0-100+ more yards.... on causing no points on the board in NEW ENGLAND, and in NO

in the three games redman played in, TB-jenkins had 7 catches for 80 yds, PHI-was de-activated, NO-3 catches for 82 yards and the only TD he had all year. he had a high of 6 catches with ryan and a high of 78 yards with ryan. does that mean redman utilized jenkins more or better?

could mean that Ryan doesn't feel as comfortable with Jenkins as Redman does.

that doesnt make any sense, ur actually helping make him look bad, if he was ddoing a good enough job n doing everything they asked for, we wouldnt even look at boldon or thomas... that in itself proves they feel that the #2 spot can be better..... remember MIKE SMITH stress consistency and sastainability, somethin that jenkins hasnt done in his career... matt threw the ball more last year but jenks number still went down, u can say cause of gonzo. but not really cause HD wasnt even in the line up all year n his numbers still went down, i think he droped about 8-10 balls last year, which is a BIG difference in 0-100+ more yards.... on causing no points on the board in NEW ENGLAND, and in NO

I don't think you understood me. Us being linked to Boldin and Thomas is obviously saying that we don't like what we see from Jenkins. I'm honestly not a huge fan of Jenkins and I don't think he's a good #2. His inconsistency, drops, lack of separation, softness all make me cringe.

I'm not trying to make him look good. But still, as long as he's a Falcon, I'm gonna support him.

I don't think you understood me. Us being linked to Boldin and Thomas is obviously saying that we don't like what we see from Jenkins. I'm honestly not a huge fan of Jenkins and I don't think he's a good #2. His inconsistency, drops, lack of separation, softness all make me cringe.

I'm not trying to make him look good. But still, as long as he's a Falcon, I'm gonna support him.

oh ok yea i misunderstood that, but yea ur right..... as long as ur a falcon an play good ill always root for you....

Jenkins may be a disappointment to some, but I have never seen a lack of effort like Roddy sometimes seemed to give in the very beginning of his career. MJ actually seems to relish blocking and understands that continual improvement in this aspect of the game has been his ticket to staying on the field. He has even made some big plays including the late grab in the Chicago that has to be rated as one of the more notable plays in Falcons history.

In fact, Jenkins has done pretty darn well when compared with most other players coming out of Ohio State and the Big Ten. In my view it is not his fault that expectations for him were set to high due to the fact that he was selected too high in the draft. On top of that I have seen signs of growth in his game, although certainly not enough to suit me (or probably Jenkins himself.)

Having said all that, if someone can come along and earn some of his snaps, I got no problem with that. At some point he is going to have to step it up or step out. But that is true for every NFL player.

Jenkins may be a disappointment to some, but I have never seen a lack of effort like Roddy sometimes seemed to give in the very beginning of his career. MJ actually seems to relish blocking and understands that continual improvement in this aspect of the game has been his ticket to staying on the field. He has even made some big plays including the late grab in the Chicago that has to be rated as one of the more notable plays in Falcons history.

In fact, Jenkins has done pretty darn well when compared with most other players coming out of Ohio State and the Big Ten. In my view it is not his fault that expectations for him were set to high due to the fact that he was selected too high in the draft. On top of that I have seen signs of growth in his game, although certainly not enough to suit me (or probably Jenkins himself.)

Having said all that, if someone can come along and earn some of his snaps, I got no problem with that. At some point he is going to have to step it up or step out. But that is true for every NFL player.

yea but thats goes back to he makes a good play, but for every good one he has two bad ones.... i think terry robiskie will be a better player then him.... he already does one thing FAR better then jenks, and thats catch the ball with his hands.... jenkins is to big to be letting balls hit his body... no excuse for that.... and roddy was lazy in the beginning of his career. but that just shows u that even when he was being lazy they bother were viewed on the same level, when roddy picked his game up, jenkins stayed the same, u can really see how it took shape if u looked from 07-now.... jenkins hasnt changed, but roddy has by leaps..... oh and roddy can block, just take a look at TB game in tampa and u tell me if he cant block, or how about that block that sprung Turner into the endzone against NO?

Jenkins always comes up on the huge plays when we need him, but he almost always drops everything else. That's what I don't understand about him. LOL

True :lol: But definitely not in that Giants game, that would have been a huge catch and posssible win for us. Maybe this year he will make a huge catch to win like the Nfc championship game or Super Bowl. :lol:

True :lol: But definitely not in that Giants game, that would have been a huge catch and posssible win for us. Maybe this year he will make a huge catch to win like the Nfc championship game or Super Bowl. :lol:

You know, I try and forget about that stupid Giants game. A win there could have possibly put us in playoff position lol