There’s something about Harry

atljbo

link

There’s something about Harry

Posted July 25, 2010 @ 1:12 p.m. ET

By Dan Parr

After tearing an ACL early in training camp last year, which knocked him out for the entire season, Falcons WR Harry Douglas will return to the field in 2010, and the team is expecting him to provide a spark once again.

Some fantasy owners will no doubt bet that he will do the same thing for their team when it comes time to find a backup receiver late in drafts.

Douglas may not be a star, but he's well known inside savvy circles of fantasy players. Despite making just 23 catches in his career, he is being watched closely by Falcons fans as he makes his return, and it came as a minor disappointment when he was held out of OTAs in late May. The Falcons were hoping he would function as their own version of New England's Wes Welker when they drafted the 6-0, 182-pound Douglas the third round in 2008.

"When we drafted Harry a couple of years ago, the expectations, having come from New England, were to have a player that was reminiscent of Wes Welker, who could play the slot inside with two big tall wide receivers in Roddy White and Mike Jenkins," GM Thomas Dimitroff, who previously served as a scout for the Patriots, said earlier this offseason. "We wanted to have that underneath guy. … We bring in Tony Gonzalez and we have him inside as well and we had Michael Turner running the rock. We thought we had a lot of firepower there.

"So, we are getting back to thinking that we are going to return to that idea. Hopefully, if we can stay healthy, we are excited about our possibilities of producing on offense."

If he fully recovers, as expected, from the knee surgery without losing any of the speed and quickness he flashed as a rookie, the hype Douglas is receiving will have been warranted.

The Falcons have their No. 1 receiver in White, but Douglas has a shot at taking snaps away from Jenkins, who is penciled as the No. 2 receiver. At the least, Douglas will be Atlanta's top weapon in the slot. QB Matt Ryan had more passing attempts in 14 games last season than he did in 16 contests as a rookie, and it's likely that the Falcons will allow him to throw even more often in Year Three.

Douglas has big-play potential and the Falcons used him as a rusher, receiver and returner in his first season. Count on offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey getting creative and finding ways to get the ball in Douglas' hands.

He could be a valuable piece off the bench for fantasy owners in 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsUrj-Z7b3w

Who plays opposite Moss in New England? This may have something to do with us not trying to replace Jenkins. If he is there mainly as a blocker, and the yards come more from the slot and Roddy White, this may just be how the offense is expected to play out.

Welker may be in the slot allot but dude is there #2 ... The Pats drafted Taylor Price to develop into there #2 (onthe island) .

Welker may be in the slot allot but dude is there #2 ... The Pats drafted Taylor Price to develop into there #2 (onthe island) .

Even with Welker out, no non-Moss receiver got more than a couple hundred yards. I think Jenkins could be in there by design and not due to lack of better options. (But I do agree, Welker is basically a #2)

Even with Welker out, no non-Moss receiver got more than a couple hundred yards. I think Jenkins could be in there by design and not due to lack of better options. (But I do agree, Welker is basically a #2)

Julian Edelman was good.. Dude is going to be a good slot WR

Yea, right now they have Torry Holt listed as their 3rd receiver, but that may change of course. Last year I think they had Joey Galloway as their #3 behind Welker. Though I must admit, I don't know how well he did.

Julian Edelman was good.. Dude is going to be a good slot WR

Good replacement for Welker, no doubt.

Yea, right now they have Torry Holt listed as their 3rd receiver, but that may change of course. Last year I think they had Joey Galloway as their #3 behind Welker. Though I must admit, I don't know how well he did.

Terrible. I don't remember his stats. Can't actually remember if he caught a ball. Must be something easily under 100 yards.

Great vid JBO. I love the throw from Ryan on the 40 second mark - no questioning his arm strength on that one!

Problem with Ryan arm strength isnt that he cant make every throw its his lob on the ball and has no oomfffffff

if you catch my drift ..His long ball hangs a lil to much he overcompensates his lack of arm by putting to much air underneath it ..He needs to do a lil better job with that

I seen Ryan gun it in there he has the arm to put in tight spots the one in Philly 08' comes to mind..Ryan also needs to work on his footwork to from what I see time to time he doesnt have the weight balance on his back leg ..if you start watching that you see what Im talking about

Harry Douglas is a perfect slot wr.. dont like him on outside..He can be easily jammed by bigger corners

I dont mind seeing him there from time to time but if were going for another direction then Jenkins we need to bring in a physical wr ..

Yup, makes sense. Don't see a Jenkins replacement on the roster. I think he will continue to be what he is at the #2 spot.

Problem with Ryan arm strength isnt that he cant make every throw its his lob on the ball and has no oomfffffff

if you catch my drift ..His long ball hangs a lil to much he overcompensates his lack of arm by putting to much air underneath it ..He needs to do a lil better job with that

I seen Ryan gun it in there he has the arm to put in tight spots the one in Philly 08' comes to mind..Ryan also needs to work on his footwork to from what I see time to time he doesnt have the weight balance on his back leg ..if you start watching that you see what Im talking about

I think Matt Ryan and Rivers has the same arm strength... The biggest difference that i see is if Rivers see his WR got the CB beat in the first 8-10 yards... dude is releasing the ball... It seem like Matt Ryan waits a little to long... Brady does the same as Rivers... They trust what they see earlier.

Harry Douglas is a perfect slot wr.. dont like him on outside..He can be easily jammed by bigger corners

I dont mind seeing him there from time to time but if were going for another direction then Jenkins we need to bring in a physical wr ..

I think HD can be a #2 but i would rather draft a #2..... use HD in the slot so we can take advantage of the match ups.

Yeah I've noticed that as well, but in the throw on 40 seconds he throws a bullet with a low trajectory.

I think Matt Ryan and Rivers has the same arm strength... The biggest difference that i see is if Rivers see his WR got the CB beat in the first 8-10 yards... dude is releasing the ball... It seem like Matt Ryan waits a little to long... Brady does the same as Rivers... They trust what they see earlier.

I'm not too concerned about it. Arm strength can be improved, but it's not necessary in order to be a highly successful QB, as you point out with the Rivers/Brady comparisons. No question Ryan has room for improvement, and I hope the long ball is at the top of his list.

that's why I'm hoping that Meier kid's game translates to the pro level. if he's able to do in the NFL what he did in college then he & HD will probably split time as #2/slot guys. honestly, in my gut; I'd rather have Meier beat out Jenkins cause Meier gets YAC.

that's why I'm hoping that Meier kid's game translates to the pro level. if he's able to do in the NFL what he did in college then he & HD will probably split time as #2/slot guys. honestly, in my gut; I'd rather have Meier beat out Jenkins cause Meier gets YAC.

I could be wrong but i just dont see Meier as that guy... I do think think Meier can work the middle of the field.. I just dont see him being a #2... I could b wrong tho... we will see

I could be wrong but i just dont see Meier as that guy... I do think think Meier can work the middle of the field.. I just dont see him being a #2... I could b wrong tho... we will see

like I said, if his game carries over we'll get:

receiver with great hands

gets separation

works middle of field

good blocker

excellent route runner &

gets YAC

you wouldn't be satisfied having that added to Roddy & HD?