iPhone, Droid, Evo. Best deal out there amongst big 4?

tikibar

Clark Howard-type dilemma

I have Sprint because I have a killer grandfathered deal. Currently have two phones with unlimited data/text, 2050 anytime minutes for $104/month including taxes/junk fees (no roaming fees and a Canada plan on it). I would love a Droid/iPhone, but am really looking at the Sprint Evo because of it's hot spot capability; however, I will be forced into a higher priced plan, which no longer makes Sprint unique to me, and will have me up around $170 all in w/ tax/junk fees.

My grandfathered plan is a smoking deal, but the new age phones are about to break me. I am looking for unlimited data/text w/ approx 2000 anytime mins for 2 phones and just curious what else is out there. Do you have one of the newer Droid/iPhone/Evo phones w/ a great deal?

Metro PCS isn't an option unfortunately-must have coverage like big 4 offer.

Edited by tikibar

Clark Howard-type dilemma

I have Sprint because I have a killer grandfathered deal. Currently have two phones with unlimited data/text, 2050 anytime minutes for $104/month including taxes/junk fees (no roaming fees and a Canada plan on it). I would love a Droid/iPhone, but am really looking at the Sprint Evo because of it's hot spot capability; however, I will be forced into a higher priced plan, which no longer makes Sprint unique to me, and will have me up around $170 all in w/ tax/junk fees.

My grandfathered plan is a smoking deal, but the new age phones are about to break me. I am looking for unlimited data/text w/ approx 2000 anytime mins for 2 phones and just curious what else is out there. Do you have one of the newer Droid/iPhone/Evo phones w/ a great deal?

Metro PCS isn't an option unfortunately-must have coverage like big 4 offer.

you can get the Droid 2 for 40 right now but they are making a new one soon. Thats why they are so cheap right now. Iphone has antenna problems and AT&T are crooks when it comes to plans man. Evo is prob the best way to go now I have one and its great

they have rumors that the iphone is coming to tmobile, which will probably give you your best deal. i think for 170ish you get unlmited minutes, unlimited txt, and unlimited data. ( but check the coverage in your area. i live in atlanta, and when i had them, i always had service. in the train, all around northeast atlanta, around the city, even had service all the out to cochran, ga. i didnt have service while on a backroad, but it just switched to att roaming, which is free.

if you cant wait til then, then they have the samsung vibrant, which is basically the galaxy s. 4in samsung andriod device.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/22/samsung-galaxy-s-review-shootout-captivate-for-atandt-and-vibrant/

that is a review of it.

they have an att version and verizon version, with a sprint version coming soon, so that is a heads up.

the screen is a super amoled screen, which can take on the iphone screen. i heard its not as sharp, but it is amazing in sunlight.

Edited by GEORGlAfan

they have rumors that the iphone is coming to tmobile, which will probably give you your best deal.

Coming to verizon in Jan. 2011 according to rumors as well.

Either way, I would like to get the better coverage with Verizon, but Sprint has the best pricing options. I'll be getting an EVO (which IMO is better than the iphone) in about 2 months when I can get the full loyalty discount. Blows that you have to pay for the 4G even if you're not in a 4G area.

AT&T has by far the worst pricing plans around. However, check with each cell company and see if the company you work for qualifies for discounts. I have a 20% discount on all services & purchases with Sprint (same with Verizon, and 15% at AT&T) because of the company I work for.

you can get the Droid 2 for 40 right now but they are making a new one soon. Thats why they are so cheap right now. Iphone has antenna problems and AT&T are crooks when it comes to plans man. Evo is prob the best way to go now I have one and its great

I've always wanted an iphone, but you can't even get unlimited data now, so that's out. I'd love to go Verizon because I've heard nothing but rave reviews about their network, but it seems their pricing plans are amongst the highest. My potential deal with Sprint at $170 monthly seems on par w/ t-mobile and seems to offer more w/ the hot spot deal.

Thx for the inputs...hopefully more will continue to chime in.

Coming to verizon in Jan. 2011 according to rumors as well.

Either way, I would like to get the better coverage with Verizon, but Sprint has the best pricing options. I'll be getting an EVO (which IMO is better than the iphone) in about 2 months when I can get the full loyalty discount. Blows that you have to pay for the 4G even if you're not in a 4G area.

AT&T has by far the worst pricing plans around. However, check with each cell company and see if the company you work for qualifies for discounts. I have a 20% discount on all services & purchases with Sprint (same with Verizon, and 15% at AT&T) because of the company I work for.

no tmobile has the best prices. sprint has the 2nd best prices. tmobile just sucks when it comes to flagship phones.

agree with att having some of the worse. they are trying to make it better(rumor to have new plans built around the new data plans), but dont count verizon out. rumors are that they are going to be taking away unlimited data also for 2gb caps.

no tmobile has the best prices. sprint has the 2nd best prices. tmobile just sucks when it comes to flagship phones.

+1

I've been with T-Mobile since they bought out Voicestream which bought out Powertel. That's just about 11 years now. I probably will never leave T-Mobile by choice. They have great plans, great coverage, and pretty good customer service. My biggest issue as that they don't have the best phones around. 11 years ago, that didn't matter. Nowadays, it does.

T-Mobile's version of the Evo is the HTC HD2. It is essentially the same phone except that it runs Windows Mobile for an OS instead of Android. Oh yeah - and T-Mobile doesn't have 4G network right now.

+1

I've been with T-Mobile since they bought out Voicestream which bought out Powertel. That's just about 11 years now. I probably will never leave T-Mobile by choice. They have great plans, great coverage, and pretty good customer service. My biggest issue as that they don't have the best phones around. 11 years ago, that didn't matter. Nowadays, it does.

T-Mobile's version of the Evo is the HTC HD2. It is essentially the same phone except that it runs Windows Mobile for an OS instead of Android. Oh yeah - and T-Mobile doesn't have 4G network right now.

if tmobile had the iphone, then they would easily jump to 3rd in the cellphone company wars. the iphone easily got att 20mil subs, not including people who jumped for family plans like myself, but att just got out of hand, plus the problems with service. its not the phone. my friend has an iphone 3gs just like me. we are on marta train going to georgia state. im getting dead zones at every covered station with no service from art center to five point. he has 5 bars even though its edge on tmobile.

many days i wished i bought an iphone full price and stayed with tmobile. especially with the new no contract prices, since i hate contracts.

tmobile is getting 4g like speeds until they get LTE. they are going to be rolling out with HSPA+ which will have speeds up to 21mbps.

heck, all these 4g technology that they are coming out are not even 4g, since 4g is speeds of 100+mbps

I've got the Droid with Verizon, and my plan has unlimited data, texts, but it's the lowest on minutes. I also have the full insurance on my phone and with my work discount it runs me $81 a month.

A timely thread. Yesterday I changed from T-Mobile to Verizon and I got the Droid X and my wife got the Droid with unlimited data, texts, 1 full insurance plus another regular phone sharing 1400 minutes. Also a work discount for $185. Not too bad.

Went to all of the T-mobile dead spots and had a good signal, so far so good.

I've had the Droid since the day it came out - got the Droid X on Friday and I'm not going anywhere - These are the best two phones I've ever had

Which do you like more? I might add a line for a family member to piggy-back on my plan, in which case I think I would give them my Droid, and get a Droid X for myself. I've looked for some Droid vs Droid X comparisons, but the biggest things I see is that the Droid X has a monster of a screen, and they got rid of the slide out keyboard.`

Love my iPhone. It's clean cut, simple, but very versatile. Only as of late, the service hasn't been amazing.

That's AT&T for you. They could have easily stayed number one if they were smart and built their network. They actually were begging apple to cripple the iPhone so they didn't have to fix their network. I read an article that said Steve jobs has wanted to leave AT&T like 11 times and the first brig months after the first iPhone came out.

True Story:

My brother just came to the house with his new iPhone, he was telling me about how great it was, this, that, and the other. I told him to put his phone number on his facebook account so I wouldn't have to add him to my contacts. I explained how my Droid automatically sync's for me, so my friends are already added. Then I told him to call me so I could show him. Swear to God, he looks at his phone and says "Don't laugh, but I don't have signal."

All cell phone company's are rip offs, that said Verizon and AT&T prices are almost exactly the same.

The Plan I have on AT&T is 180 a month, same exact plan on Verizon is 180 a month. Ive had both services and where I am i have service 95% of time with AT&T and 75% of time with Verizon. I don't have 3g all over the place with AT&T but neither does Verizon either.

I still have the unlimited data plan on AT&T but with mostly edge I get like 500 MAX megs a month been thinking of getting the new lower plan. But hesitant as I know after I get rid of the unlimited I will not be able to get it back.

I do have the Iphone 3gs and would switch if a droid or a GOOD HTC phone hit AT&T. looked close at the aria but decided no.

But back to the point, AT&T and Verizon = same price. other carriers have almost 0 coverage here.

If Verizon offered a tiered data plan I'd be happy. I don't use it near enough to warrant unlimited data. I checked my usage and the most I've used in a month was like 800kb(which was surprising considering I'm always on Pandora or browsing something).

Which do you like more? I might add a line for a family member to piggy-back on my plan, in which case I think I would give them my Droid, and get a Droid X for myself. I've looked for some Droid vs Droid X comparisons, but the biggest things I see is that the Droid X has a monster of a screen, and they got rid of the slide out keyboard.`

poutlipper, I added a regular phone for 9.95 per month. Actually the Droid X was the main phone and my wife got the Droid with the slide keyboard for 9.95 also but it required the 29.95 data plan though. Not too bad since Verizon has better coverage in

FL, so as I say so far so good.

i thought you had an iphone 4.

**** no - I had the original iphone and hated the ATT coverage, it sucks in Shreveport

So far I can't really say, the regular Droid was a gem, but I got the Droid X for the NFL Sunday Ticket - I never used the slide out keyboard on the regular Droid so that's not a problem for me.

I have the Evo and love it. Most of my friends that have the i-phone, want it now. Especially when Im using my phone and they get no signal in the same locations. But that could be due to AT&T, more so than the i-phone itself. But I still prefer the Evo.

I have the Evo and love it. Most of my friends that have the i-phone, want it now. Especially when Im using my phone and they get no signal in the same locations. But that could be due to AT&T, more so than the i-phone itself. But I still prefer the Evo.

The 4G is cool, but the hotspot capability is what I'm really wanting. What's your monthly chg?

I was looking at $180+taxes: $129 for 1500mins, $20 for two Evo data plans, $30 for the hotspot.