RB rankings

Caddieman

Lol as much as I hate the Panthers, they should probably be higher.

Thing is w/D-Will, it's not just him (IMO) but the combination of him and Stewart that makes their run game so powerful. I agree w/you though, woulda left Turner where he is and swapped places w/D-Will (or the combo) and Ronnie Brown.

Thing is w/D-Will, it's not just him (IMO) but the combination of him and Stewart that makes their run game so powerful. I agree w/you though, woulda left Turner where he is and swapped places w/D-Will (or the combo) and Ronnie Brown.

You're right. My bad. And yeah agreed. Switch the slightly overrated Ronnie Brown with D-will.

edit: while, looking at the complete list, it is complete crap. Thomas Jones doesn't make the top 20 but Shonn Greene does? Look at Thomas Jones numbers last year. I want to complain about half of the other list, but will not take the time to do so.

double edit: except I gotta say wow Reggie Bush above Ray Rice? Thats funny.

Edited by FinneranForever

I think the list is based on opinion more than statistics and while I don't agree with the order - there is some merit in saying the top 6 are pretty good rushers in this league.

This made me curious as to the way I'd rank them just looking at contribution to the team over the past 2 years (which is how long Johnson has been in the league) - I've compiled the numbers of the top 6 and then re-ranked them based on value per game (in my opinion of course). For Turner, they tried to stick him back in the game a couple of times with no success - but they still counted that as starts. Reviewing his carries and time of play, I found he played 8 full games, plus one half in one game, one snap in another and less than a quarter in another - so I based his numbers on 9 games. I reviewed the other running backs for adjustments as well based on actual playing time to be fair.

PER GAME NUMBERS FOR LAST 2 YEARS + my ranking based on these numbers:

1. Johnson - Rushing 161 yds & 1.2 TD + 38 yds receiving, 0.20 fumbles & 0.20 lost

2. Turner - Rushing 102.8 yds & 1.1 TD + 3 yds receiving, 0.28 fumbles & 0.16 lost

3. Peterson - Rushing 104 yds & 0.9 TD + 18.7 yds receiving, 0.53 fumbles & 0.33 lost

4. Williams - Rushing 90.8 yds & .9 TD + 13 yds receiving, 0.10 fumbles & 0.10 lost

5. Brown - Rushing 71.1 yds & 0.8 TD + 16 yds receiving, 0.04 fumbles & 0.04 lost

6. Jackson - Rushing 94.5 yds & 0.4 TD + 27 yds receiving, 0.27 fumbles & 0.19 lost

PER CARRY NUMBERS FOR LAST 2 YEARS + my ranking based on these numbers:

1. Williams (489) - Rushing 5.3 yds & TD every 20, fumble every 163, lost every 163

2. Brown (361) - Rushing 4.3 yds & TD every 20, fumble every 180, lost every 180

3. Johnson (609)- Rushing 5.3 yds & TD every 26, fumble every 152, lost every 152

4. Peterson (677)- Rushing 4.6 yds & TD every 24, fumble every 42, lost every 67

5. Turner (554) - Rushing 4.6 yds & TD every 33, fumble every 79, lost every 139

6. Jackson (577) - Rushing 4.3 yds & TD every 52, fumble every 82, lost every 115

I feel like the per game numbers are a clearer reflection towards the contribution to wins/losses in the year by RB while the per carry numbers are a clearer reflection of the wear and tear on the RB and potential lifespan of productivity from that RB.

how... In the.. What in the.. HOW THE **** IS REGGIE BUSH THAT HIGH?

He had 484 RUshing yards last season if anything he should be way below jason snelling.

He also only had 495 recieving yards. This writer is on something white and sparkly.

Edited by Zodiac

Idk give jason a whole season than we'll see Jason outdid bush in rushing yards by 300 and had half his recieving yards playing half the season where as bush played a full one.

That's one thing I like about Snelling. I can't prove it w/stats, only from what I can remember of what I watch, but seems like he's a much better receiver than Turner. Nice to have that option sometimes.

I think the list is based on opinion more than statistics and while I don't agree with the order - there is some merit in saying the top 6 are pretty good rushers in this league.

This made me curious as to the way I'd rank them just looking at contribution to the team over the past 2 years (which is how long Johnson has been in the league) - I've compiled the numbers of the top 6 and then re-ranked them based on value per game (in my opinion of course). For Turner, they tried to stick him back in the game a couple of times with no success - but they still counted that as starts. Reviewing his carries and time of play, I found he played 8 full games, plus one half in one game, one snap in another and less than a quarter in another - so I based his numbers on 9 games. I reviewed the other running backs for adjustments as well based on actual playing time to be fair.

PER GAME NUMBERS FOR LAST 2 YEARS + my ranking based on these numbers:

1. Johnson - Rushing 161 yds & 1.2 TD + 38 yds receiving, 0.20 fumbles & 0.20 lost

2. Turner - Rushing 102.8 yds & 1.1 TD + 3 yds receiving, 0.28 fumbles & 0.16 lost

3. Peterson - Rushing 104 yds & 0.9 TD + 18.7 yds receiving, 0.53 fumbles & 0.33 lost

4. Williams - Rushing 90.8 yds & .9 TD + 13 yds receiving, 0.10 fumbles & 0.10 lost

5. Brown - Rushing 71.1 yds & 0.8 TD + 16 yds receiving, 0.04 fumbles & 0.04 lost

6. Jackson - Rushing 94.5 yds & 0.4 TD + 27 yds receiving, 0.27 fumbles & 0.19 lost

PER CARRY NUMBERS FOR LAST 2 YEARS + my ranking based on these numbers:

1. Williams (489) - Rushing 5.3 yds & TD every 20, fumble every 163, lost every 163

2. Brown (361) - Rushing 4.3 yds & TD every 20, fumble every 180, lost every 180

3. Johnson (609)- Rushing 5.3 yds & TD every 26, fumble every 152, lost every 152

4. Peterson (677)- Rushing 4.6 yds & TD every 24, fumble every 42, lost every 67

5. Turner (554) - Rushing 4.6 yds & TD every 33, fumble every 79, lost every 139

6. Jackson (577) - Rushing 4.3 yds & TD every 52, fumble every 82, lost every 115

I feel like the per game numbers are a clearer reflection towards the contribution to wins/losses in the year by RB while the per carry numbers are a clearer reflection of the wear and tear on the RB and potential lifespan of productivity from that RB.

Nice work. So based on this you could arguably say Turner has been the second best RB over the last two years?!

Personally, I still think Peterson is the best, based on the fact that he beats up defenses. He does need to sort out his fumbling problems though! I can't see Johnson ever repeating his 2009 season again.

Nice work. So based on this you could arguably say Turner has been the second best RB over the last two years?!

Personally, I still think Peterson is the best, based on the fact that he beats up defenses. He does need to sort out his fumbling problems though! I can't see Johnson ever repeating his 2009 season again.

There is no denying that Peterson is an excellent - maybe even the best, but I'll tell you what surprised me in putting those numbers together. The effectiveness per carry of Ronnie Brown. I was surprised that he gets a touchdown every 20 touches and only fumbles once every 180 touches.

Idk give jason a whole season than we'll see Jason outdid bush in rushing yards by 300 and had half his recieving yards playing half the season where as bush played a full one.

I sort of agree. I just think that if I had to make a top 100 running backs in the NFL list, Bush would have to be higher than Snelling because he has done much more. Give Snelling some time to prove himself and that could change.

I don't get why Adrian Peterson is ranked #1 by so many people, over Chris Johnson anyway. Peterson is a monster, no doubt about it. But I think people fail to consider how much he puts the ball on the ground. People who are doing rankings lately are also trying to play the "Chris Johnson isn't physical" card just to put Peterson ahead. Where are they getting that from? Johnson jukes out and runs away from a lot of defensive players because he's fast and agile, not because he isn't physical. More often than not if you watch Chris Johnson in games, you will see him put a shoulder down and ram right into people.

He's more physical than anyone gives him credit, and that's one thing I don't understand.

You don't earn 2000 yards by being unphysical. I don't remember what team it was against, but I remember watching Johnson pound through 2 linebackers last season, bounce off another and then blow past a safety with his speed all in one play for like a 60 yard touchdown. You don't go through two linebackers and not be physical. Chris Johnson is small yes, but the guy is an absolute pig.

I'm not so sure that Steven Jackson belongs above Turner. The teams wins need to be figured in their analysis somewhere.

Yes, he definitely does. I would put him at #3 just under Johnson and Peterson. The guy has NO offensive line. He plays about 13 games a season because he's beat on so much thanks to that O-Line. And he still puts up huge numbers. If you were to put this guy a team like the Vikings or the Titans, he would eclipse 2000 yards. He's strong, fast, and agile, just like Chris Johnson except he is built big like Adrian Peterson.

Edited by Chris D