Pre Camp Peria Jerry Thread

Positives and Negatives

Positives: Quick, active three-technique tackle. ... Good height and adequate girth inside. ... Very quick off the snap, able to beat the down block by tackles or penetrate to force the quarterback to rush his decision. ... Gets his hands inside guards' jerseys to push the pocket. ... Chases downfield on plays away from him, and works hard to make a tackle when the ball is in his area. ... Uses his hands well to defeat cut blocks inside. ... Handles double-teams pretty well when playing the nose considering his height, and is able to get off the double to get to the ball. ... Emerged as the unquestioned leader of the Ole Miss defensive line. ... Dominant week at the Senior Bowl. ... Good bloodlines. ... Cousins Eddie Strong and Dwayne Rudd both played linebacker in the NFL.

Negatives: Makes a lot of plays when slanting toward the action. ... Needs to play stronger at the point against the run. ... Can play a bit high in rushing situations, causing him to lose the leverage battle. ... Lacks great awareness, as he does not keep his eyes in the backfield. ... Takes himself out of plays too often. ... Needs to stay on his feet against stronger linemen. ... Low test score. ... May struggle with a complicated playbook.

Overview

No. 94, DT, 6'2" 290-299 lbs, drafted 24th in 2009, 25 yrs old, Ole Miss, Born in Memphis Tn, Hometown Batesville, MS

Combine Stats

6′1⅞″, 290 lbs, 4.98 40 yard dash, 4.64 20-ss, 7.30 3 cone, 31 in. vertical, 9′6″ broad jump, 28 reps

2009 NFL Stats

2 starts, 1 assist, 1 QB hit, 1 QB pressure

Competed in two games with one tackle before his rookie season was cut short in the 4th quarter of his second game due to a knee injury. Placed on injured reserve on September 21.

My Thoughts as of 7-24-10

For me the jury is still out on Jerry. He came in with a spotty injury history and got hurt in his second NFL game. Add that to the fact that he came in with weak run defensive skills, then exhibited the same in his four preseason and two regular season games, and I will say it is an uphill battle for him. Babineaux, TJ, Vance, Trey and even Busterson will give him a run for his money.

When he did play he was usually lined up at UT with Babineaux being switched out of his natural position to DT. Not good. He showed some signs as a pass rusher but got pushed around in run defense, albeit against two of the best rushing offenses.

He got his first start in the third preseason game and turned in a good game against BAL in the final preseason game. I think he showed enough signs in that game for the staff to start him in the opener, even though TJ outplayed him in the preseason.

I think the notion that he created a bunch of double teams is a myth. I will try to review his two games to verify that, but as of right now I'm still saying that based on my memory, it's a myth. I am hoping for the best but I don't think Peria is the answer we have heard about for the last six months.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gritz

It's possibly too trite just to say "Time will tell" but ultimately that is the dictum that will determine Jerry's place on the Falcons.

I should probably recuse myself from any in-depth conversation about Peria because I am a bona fide and admitted Ole Miss fan. I have seen Peria Jerry play more football than anyone else on this message board....I have a bias for Jerry that I don't attempt to hide. But my loyalty towards Ole Miss doesn't trump my loyalty to the Falcons. I didn't want us to touch Greg Hardy with a 10-foot pole.

Back to Jerry though:

I have seen his unbelievable quickness off the line. I have seen him be an incredibly disruptive force against virtually every top-notch SEC offensive line. When healthy Jerry has speed and hand fighting techniques rarely seen in a man that size.

But his success so far as a football player has been limited to what he did in Division I football in the NCAA.

It would be wrong of me to say that any success Jerry had in college necessarily would translate to the NFL.

Just like it would wrong to take an NFL 2-game sampling of a player and somehow say that brief stint was what this player was going to be.

Bottom line: We just have to wait......That's about as objective as you're going to get from me.

I agree.. The jury is still out on him ... Thats because the guy didnt get a chance toplay but 2games last year... I dont think its a up hill battle tho... The guy just has to do his this thing and keep progressing... I feel like TJ and Vance did an ok job but the facts are that THE NT position was our weakest link in pass rushing situations.... Its more then about how many tackles you have.... Its about if the O-Line is respecting you enough to not slant there O-line scheme... Thats the biggest thing i noticed game 1... The Dolphins was forced to play us straight up.... Our DE's had their best games...The Tackles wasnt able to get that extra jumpoff the line because the line wasnt slanted in either direction.

I look at Peria Jerry and William Moore the same way i see Spoon.... As a unknown but i seewhere they could help out this team big time if they do there thing.... They have the talent.

Sidenote: One thing i want to see is did Peria Jerry get stronger... I remember reading William Moore saying thsat PeriaJerry has been in the weight room with him (when they was rehabbing) working hard.

Jerrell Powe said he was just chilling with Peria Jerry... He said Peria Jerry is back and looking forward to the season.... That to go along with TD saying he seen the burst off the line when Peria was working on the sleds... I want to see what Peria will do out there this year.

OK here is a breakdown of Peria's plays in the first half of the MIA game. Second half coming:

My Play By Play Analysis

MIAMI

1-10-MIA 32 (9:26) 23-R.Brown up the middle to MIA 35 for 3 yards (54-S.Nicholas).

Lined up at UT. Single blocked. Pushed out of the play

2-7-MIA 35 (8:45) 23-R.Brown left tackle to MIA 37 for 2 yards (50-C.Lofton).

Lined up at UT. Double blocked. Pushed out of the play that went to other side

3-5-MIA 37 (8:06) 10-C.Pennington sacked at MIA 33 for -4 yards (71-K.Biermann). FUMBLES (71-K.Biermann), RECOVERED by ATL-95-J.Babineaux at MIA 37.

Lined up at UT. Single blocked. Stoned at the line but touched the ball before Babineaux recovered

1-10-MIA 12 (6:54) 10-C.Pennington pass short left to 23-R.Brown to MIA 12 for no gain (54-S.Nicholas). Lined up at UT. Single blocked. Stoned at the line. No impact

2-10-MIA 12 (6:07) 10-C.Pennington pass short left to 19-T.Ginn pushed ob at MIA 22 for 10 yards (53-M.Peterson). Lined up at UT. Double blocked. Stoned at the line

1-10-MIA 22 (5:35) 23-R.Brown left tackle to MIA 24 for 2 yards (50-C.Lofton, 53-M.Peterson). Lined up at UT. Unblocked. Play run to his right

2-8-MIA 24 (4:56) (Shotgun) 10-C.Pennington pass short left to 15-D.Bess to MIA 27 for 3 yards (55-J.Abraham). Lined up at UT. Single blocked. Stoned

3-5-MIA 27 (4:13) 10-C.Pennington pass short left to 15-D.Bess to MIA 33 for 6 yards (29-B.Williams). Lined up at UT. Single blocked. Stoned

1-10-MIA 33 (3:32) 34-R.Williams right tackle to MIA 47 for 14 yards (20-B.Grimes). Lined up at UT. Single blocked. Over ran play and created huge hole

1-10-MIA 47 (2:51) 34-R.Williams left end to MIA 49 for 2 yards (23-C.Houston, 29-B.Williams). Lined up at UT. Single blocked. Play run to opposite side

2-8-MIA 49 (2:06) 10-C.Pennington pass short right to 15-D.Bess to ATL 47 for 4 yards (20-B.Grimes). Lined up at DT. Single blocked. No impact

3-4-ATL 47 (1:19) 10-C.Pennington sacked at MIA 46 for -7 yards (55-J.Abraham). Penalty on MIA-77-J.Long, Offensive Holding, declined. Lined up at UT. Single blocked. Pushed out of the play

1-10-MIA 14 (8:31) 34-R.Williams left end to MIA 18 for 4 yards (54-S.Nicholas). Lined up at UT. Single blocked. Play run to other side

2-6-MIA 18 (7:49) 10-C.Pennington pass deep middle to 19-T.Ginn to MIA 34 for 16 yards (50-C.Lofton). Lined up at UT. Single blocked. Stoned

1-10-MIA 34 (7:06) (Shotgun) 23-R.Brown up the middle to MIA 38 for 4 yards (53-M.Peterson). Lined up at UT. Single blocked. Pushed back

2-6-MIA 38 (6:24) (Shotgun) 6-P.White left end to MIA 38 for no gain (54-S.Nicholas; 93-T.Johnson). Lined up at DT. Single blocked. Pushed out of the play

1-10-MIA 36 (3:57) 34-R.Williams right end to MIA 43 for 7 yards (54-S.Nicholas). Lined up at UT. Single blocked. Pushed out of the play

2-3-MIA 43 (3:13) (Shotgun) 6-P.White pass incomplete deep middle to 19-T.Ginn. Lined up at UT. Double blocked. Stoned

3-3-MIA 43 (3:06) 10-C.Pennington pass incomplete short left to 83-G.Camarillo. Miami challenged the incomplete pass ruling, and the play was REVERSED. 10-C.Pennington pass short left to 83-G.Camarillo to ATL 42 for 15 yards (23-C.Houston). Lined up at UT. Double blocked. Stoned

1-10-MIA 18 (:24) 34-R.Williams right tackle to MIA 18 for no gain (50-C.Lofton, 94-P.Jerry). Lined up at UT. Single blocked and chipped. Got an assist in the backfield

Edited by FalconFanSince1970

I'm not saying what the guy as in stats.... I was saying what the guy did scheme wise (What the Dolphins did scheme wise)

You guys are the ones that says it takes a DT 2-3 years to fully develop... So judging the guy off 2 games is nuts... I cant do it either... Good or bad.... I'm saying the threat of 2 good DT's forced the Dolphins to play us straight up (O-Line wise).

Our DE's had their best game of the season.

It's possibly too trite just to say "Time will tell" but ultimately that is the dictum that will determine Jerry's place on the Falcons.I should probably recuse myself from any in-depth conversation about Peria because I am a bona fide and admitted Ole Miss fan. I have seen Peria Jerry play more football than anyone else on this message board....I have a bias for Jerry that I don't attempt to hide. But my loyalty towards Ole Miss doesn't trump my loyalty to the Falcons. I didn't want us to touch Greg Hardy with a 10-foot pole.Back to Jerry though:I have seen his unbelievable quickness off the line. I have seen him be an incredibly disruptive force against virtually every top-notch SEC offensive line. When healthy Jerry has speed and hand fighting techniques rarely seen in a man that size.But his success so far as a football player has been limited to what he did in Division I football in the NCAA.It would be wrong of me to say that any success Jerry had in college necessarily would translate to the NFL.Just like it would wrong to take an NFL 2-game sampling of a player and somehow say that brief stint was what this player was going to be.Bottom line: We just have to wait......That's about as objective as you're going to get from me.

Dude that's a dam good post and you are a dam good poster. Trust me.

It's possibly too trite just to say "Time will tell" but ultimately that is the dictum that will determine Jerry's place on the Falcons.

I should probably recuse myself from any in-depth conversation about Peria because I am a bona fide and admitted Ole Miss fan. I have seen Peria Jerry play more football than anyone else on this message board....I have a bias for Jerry that I don't attempt to hide. But my loyalty towards Ole Miss doesn't trump my loyalty to the Falcons. I didn't want us to touch Greg Hardy with a 10-foot pole.

Back to Jerry though:

I have seen his unbelievable quickness off the line. I have seen him be an incredibly disruptive force against virtually every top-notch SEC offensive line. When healthy Jerry has speed and hand fighting techniques rarely seen in a man that size.

But his success so far as a football player has been limited to what he did in Division I football in the NCAA.

It would be wrong of me to say that any success Jerry had in college necessarily would translate to the NFL.

Just like it would wrong to take an NFL 2-game sampling of a player and somehow say that brief stint was what this player was going to be.

Bottom line: We just have to wait......That's about as objective as you're going to get from me.

I'm glad you chimed in on this one. I knew that he was a man among boys in college but it's nice to hear it from an Ole Miss fan. Considering his limited NFL experience it's all we have to go by. I'm not going to lie.....I wanted Dorsey more than Ryan. (hey...I can admit a mistake) IMO: Jerry's upside rivals that of Dorsey.

I agree.. The jury is still out on him ... Thats because the guy didnt get a chance toplay but 2games last year... I dont think its a up hill battle tho... The guy just has to do his this thing and keep progressing... I feel like TJ and Vance did an ok job but the facts are that THE NT position was our weakest link in pass rushing situations.... Its more then about how many tackles you have.... Its about if the O-Line is respecting you enough to not slant there O-line scheme... Thats the biggest thing i noticed game 1... The Dolphins was forced to play us straight up.... Our DE's had their best games...The Tackles wasnt able to get that extra jumpoff the line because the line wasnt slanted in either direction.I look at Peria Jerry and William Moore the same way i see Spoon.... As a unknown but i seewhere they could help out this team big time if they do there thing.... They have the talent.Sidenote: One thing i want to see is did Peria Jerry get stronger... I remember reading William Moore saying thsat PeriaJerry has been in the weight room with him (when they was rehabbing) working hard.

JBO I've watched so much tape on Peria my eyes are starting to bleed. Buddy may be an NCAA phenom but I honestly believe TJ is a better NFL DT. Street free agent. Came in and outplayed everybody in camp and preseason. Benched after Peria had a good game 4 preseason. Inserted back in line up when Peria went down. Struggled for awhile. Scolded on the bench on national TV. Put back in the game and proceeded to get a sack. Played well from there until he got hurt. Not as gifted as Jerry in terms of measurables but probably knows how to play the defense better and IMO has a lot more desire. I like him and hope we keep him.

Don't count out Vance and Busterson this year either. Vance showed me some things at the end of the year and Busterson is in a now or never year. He may actually want Peria's job. I believe that other than Babineaux and his suspension, the DT position is flat out wide open. We will probably only keep four and maybe one swing man which will likely be Busterson. What if Trey returns to 2007 form? Lest not forget we drafted Peters for a reason. I honestly believe the reason is Peria Jerry. Come on Peria. RTFU.

Back to Jerry though:

I agree... I'm not a Ole Miss fan but I loved Peria Jerry game in college... I liked Dorsey in college also..lol.. I still remember Peria battling the Pouncey twins....

The biggest difference between the 2 is there attitudes... Jerry has that no playing around and work my *** off type attitude (similar to Chauncey Davis) ...

We will see what hecan dosoon enough tho

...We will see what hecan dosoon enough tho

Yeah bro I can't wait. Time to get to the bottom of some of these offseason debates. You know..... DT, DE, LB, CB, SS, LG, WR, KR, K.

Can't freakin wait bro. We won't get an answer until week 3 when when we head to NO but it will all begin to unfold next week. Finally. Yall ready?

JBO I've watched so much tape on Peria my eyes are starting to bleed. Buddy may be an NCAA phenom but I honestly believe TJ is a better NFL DT. Street free agent. Came in and outplayed everybody in camp and preseason. Benched after Peria had a good game 4 preseason. Inserted back in line up when Peria went down. Struggled for awhile. Scolded on the bench on national TV. Put back in the game and proceeded to get a sack. Played well from there until he got hurt. Not as gifted as Jerry in terms of measurables but probably knows how to play the defense better and IMO has a lot more desire. I like him and hope we keep him.

Don't count out Vance and Busterson this year either. Vance showed me some things at the end of the year and Busterson is in a now or never year. He may actually want Peria's job. I believe that other than Babineaux and his suspension, the DT position is flat out wide open. We will probably only keep four and maybe one swing man which will likely be Busterson. What if Trey returns to 2007 form? Lest not forget we drafted Peters for a reason. I honestly believe the reason is Peria Jerry. Come on Peria. RTFU.

You are judging a rookie off 2 games.... seriously.... At a position that the more you play the better you get and adapt to the NFL speed.... really

Atleast give the man a season of playing (next year) before you make that statement.

I know some think we drafted Peters because Peria injury but i highly disagree ... I was told by some guys i get draft info from that we was sending scouts to campuses early to look at college DT's last year around this time... I post it in the draft session last year... the link and everything..

TD was going to draft a DT regardless...He wants a 3 penetrating DT rotation... So regardless.. We have a penetrating tackle.... I'm sure Jerry's injury and Babs legal trouble/playing allot of snaps just clinched it... But we was going to get a DT anyway... It was in TD plan.

But yea.. all this talking ends next week... thankgod.

He'll be fine, they bring him in slowly. I would be more worried about how he holds up in his first NFL game, rather than TC, but I still think he will be fine.

Him and HD probably had the best knee surgeon in the country do their operation, and have been working with the best rehabbers since.

TD was going to draft a DT regardless...He wants a 3 penetrating DT rotation... So regardless.. We have a penetrating tackle.... I'm sure Jerry's injury and Babs legal trouble/playing allot of snaps just clinched it... But we was going to get a DT anyway... It was in TD plan.

Remember that TD hired Smitty citing a shared vision. Remember in Jacksonville Smitty worked with DT's such as Marcus Stroud and John Henderson. The strong, dominant DT's make his system work. Their defense was always solid but never flashy. It's not about gimmicks with Smitty. His plan is to shut down your running game and force you to the air between the twenties.

Remember that TD hired Smitty citing a shared vision. Remember in Jacksonville Smitty worked with DT's such as Marcus Stroud and John Henderson. The strong, dominant DT's make his system work. Their defense was always solid but never flashy. It's not about gimmicks with Smitty. His plan is to shut down your running game and force you to the air between the twenties.

yup...Everybody knew Stroud and Henderson but they also had Rob Meier... Rob average 4 or 5 sacks a season while coach smith was there....

TD and Coach Smith wants pressure up the middle....They know that helps out the DE's big time.

OK here is my 2009 MIA @ ATL second half play by play Peria Jerry analysis. Basically nothing with a weak looking injury he bounced backed on the next week. Peyton, Nidae, Coop, JBO or anyone else out there is welcome to dispute this analysis:

1-10-MIA 16 (14:55) 36-L.Polite up the middle to MIA 25 for 9 yards (54-S.Nicholas). Lined up at UT. Single blocked. Push out of play to other side

2-1-MIA 25 (14:16) 36-L.Polite up the middle to MIA 21 for -4 yards (95-J.Babineaux). Lined up at UT. Single blocked and pushed back

3-5-MIA 21 (13:36) 10-C.Pennington pass incomplete short left to 19-T.Ginn. Lined up at UT. Single blocked and stoned

1-10-MIA 26 (11:52) 10-C.Pennington sacked at MIA 26 for 0 yards (55-J.Abraham). Lined up at UT. Single blocked and crushed

2-10-MIA 26 (11:10) (Shotgun) 10-C.Pennington pass short left to 23-R.Brown to MIA 27 for 1 yard (95-J.Babineaux). Lined up at UT. Single blocked play to the other side

3-9-MIA 27 (10:24) (Shotgun) 10-C.Pennington sacked at MIA 21 for -6 yards (71-K.Biermann). Lined up at UT. Single blocked and stoned

1-10-MIA 20 (7:47) 23-R.Brown right end to MIA 19 for -1 yards (92-C.Davis). Lined up at UT. Single blocked and got good release on a play that Chauncey made

2-11-MIA 19 (7:11) 23-R.Brown left end to MIA 25 for 6 yards (28-T.DeCoud). Lined up at UT. Double blocked and stoned on play to other side

3-5-MIA 25 (6:29) 10-C.Pennington pass short right to 15-D.Bess pushed ob at MIA 39 for 14 yards (29-B.Williams). Lined up at UT. Double blocked and stoned

1-10-MIA 39 (6:02) 34-R.Williams up the middle to MIA 43 for 4 yards (50-C.Lofton). Lined up at UT. Double blocked and stoned

2-6-MIA 43 (5:24) 34-R.Williams left end to ATL 49 for 8 yards (50-C.Lofton). Lined up at UT. Double blocked and buried

1-10-ATL 49 (4:38) 19-T.Ginn right end to ATL 41 for 8 yards (93-T.Johnson). Lined up at UT. Single blocked and pushed stoned

2-2-ATL 41 (3:54) 23-R.Brown up the middle to ATL 38 for 3 yards (53-M.Peterson). Lined up at UT. Single blocked and block out of play to other side

1-10-ATL 38 (3:08) 19-T.Ginn left end to ATL 37 for 1 yard. Lined up at UT. Single blocked and stoned

2-9-ATL 37 (2:17) (Shotgun) 10-C.Pennington pass short right to 82-B.Hartline pushed ob at ATL 29 for 8 yards. PENALTY on MIA-82-B.Hartline, Offensive Pass Interference, 10 yards, enforced at ATL 37 - No Play. Lined up at UT. Single blocked and stoned. Looked tired. Missed several plays after this

1-10-MIA 24 (7:28) (Shotgun) 10-C.Pennington pass incomplete short left to 34-R.Williams [94-P.Jerry]. Lined up at UT. Single blocked and got a QB hit on a freakin botched screen play

2-10-MIA 24 (7:24) (Shotgun) 10-C.Pennington pass incomplete short left to 34-R.Williams. Lined up at UT. Double blocked and stoned

3-10-MIA 24 (7:19) (Shotgun) 10-C.Pennington pass deep right to 15-D.Bess to MIA 45 for 21 yards (26-E.Coleman). Lined up at UT. Single blocked and chipped

1-10-MIA 45 (6:57) (Shotgun) 10-C.Pennington pass short right to 34-R.Williams pushed ob at ATL 45 for 10 yards (53-M.Peterson). Lined up at UT. Single blocked and stoned

1-10-ATL 45 (6:39) (Shotgun) 23-R.Brown up the middle to ATL 40 for 5 yards (53-M.Peterson). Lined up at UT. Single blocked and pushed backed

2-5-ATL 40 (6:19) (Shotgun) 10-C.Pennington pass short middle to 23-R.Brown to ATL 31 for 9 yards (53-M.Peterson, 50-C.Lofton). Lined up at UT. Single blocked and got a hurry

1-10-ATL 31 (5:56) (Shotgun) 23-R.Brown up the middle to ATL 26 for 5 yards (71-K.Biermann). ATL-94-P.Jerry was injured during the play. His return is Questionable. ATL-53-M.Peterson was injured during the play. His return is Probable. Lined up at UT. Double blocked and and gave up the hole. Laid down on a weak looking injury that he couldn't recover from. Geez.

yup...Everybody knew Stroud and Henderson but they also had Rob Meier... Rob average 4 or 5 sacks a season while coach smith was there....

TD and Coach Smith wants pressure up the middle....They know that helps out the DE's big time.

I'm very excited about the way these two are working together. Getting Jerry and Moore back on the field should pay immediate dividends.

On paper: This is the best, from top to bottom, Falcons' roster to ever enter camp.

Jerry has the talent. You can't label him anything based off of two starts. All he needs to do is continue learning the defense and work extra hard to stay on the field this year. When he was in the lineup, our pass rush was a BREAST! :D

You are judging a rookie off 2 games.... seriously.... At a position that the more you play the better you get and adapt to the NFL speed.... reallyAtleast give the man a season of playing (next year) before you make that statement...

Hold up hoss. You, 1136 message boarders and 12 clueless pro sports writers are saying ole boy is the Saviour to our inept pass rush. Who's more clueless me or yall? I'm jus really askin bro.

OK here is my 2009 MIA @ ATL second half play by play Peria Jerry analysis. Basically nothing with a weak looking injury he bounced backed on the next week. Peyton, Nidae, Coop, JBO or anyone else out there is welcome to dispute this analysis:

Dude i cant judge a guy on 1.5 games.... thats ridicules..Soitsnothing to dispute... You are breaking down a rookies 1st and only full game...lol.. You are making a opinion of a player after 1 game.

take a deep breath my man and just enjoy TC and this season.

Hold up hoss. You, 1136 message boarders and 12 clueless pro sports writers are saying ole boy is the Saviour to our inept pass rush. Who's more clueless me or yall? I'm jus really askin bro.

I do think he will help but let the man play more then one **** game..calm down