Schafer demoted to Double-A Mississippi

Goodoleboy58

Atlanta Braves

Schafer demoted to Double-A Mississippi

6:51 pm July 23, 2010, by Carroll Rogers

Miami – The Braves demoted Jordan Schafer to Double-AA Mississippi Friday as the center field prospect takes another step back in a career that has been spinning in the wrong direction.

Schafer was hitting only .201 with one home run in 52 games for Triple-A Gwinnett. He had 47 strikeouts compared to only 48 total bases in 189 at-bats. The Braves are hoping he can regain his confidence at the plate in Double-A.

“We’ve got to try to hopefully build some success,” Braves director of player development Kurt Kemp said. “That’s the most important thing. Maybe a change of scenery will jump-start him, and he’ll have a good last six weeks and hopefully catapult him to a better year ahead.”

Schafer, once the top prospect in the Braves organization, won the Braves center field job in spring training a year ago and homered in his major league debut in Philadelphia.

But just weeks into his first major league taste, he injured his wrist and lost his way at the plate, hitting only .204 with 63 strikeouts in 167 at-bats over 50 games. By the time he and the Braves realized the extent of the injury, the Braves had traded for center fielder Nate McLouth (in June). Schafer eventually underwent surgery in September.

long time coming, i know the Braves dont normally sell low, but I could see a Mike Dunn/Schafer for Cody Ross trade coming very soon

That's a possibility, I wouldn't be shocked at all. Don't forget the Marlins have Camron Maybin though, I believe he has more potential to be a superstar than Schafer.

Mark Bowmans article on it

The Braves sent Jordan Schafer a message Friday when they informed the former top prospect that he is being sent back to Double-A Mississippi.

Schafer, who missed the first part of this season while his surgically right hand got stronger, was hit .201 in 52 games with two homers and a .255 on-base percentage with Triple-A Gwinnett this year.

The Braves entered this season determined to allow Schafer to stay in the Minors for most of the year to make up for the time he missed in 2008 (50-game suspension) and 2009 (injured hand in fourth game of Atlanta's season and then played through the end of May with the injury).

By sending Schafer to Mississippi, the Braves are hoping he finds some of the focus he might have lacked the past couple of months, while having the comforts of living in the condo he purchased last year in Atlanta.

Schafer is a very likable kid, but his confidence can often be mistaken for cockiness. Hopefully this will be the kick in the rear that will allow him to realize he's going to have to show some more determination before he gets a chance to truly live the big league lifestyle again.

Kinda sounds like Schafer needs a wake up call

Interesting stuff on the Schafer news, Unknown. Schafer could have been called up(with the struggles of our CF situation) if he did even decent at the triple A level. It sucks to see him struggle, b/c I like the kid's defensive skills, speed, arm, and grit.

I really hope he can pull it together and give somebody a push for the starting CF spot in Spring Training 2011.

long time coming, i know the Braves dont normally sell low, but I could see a Mike Dunn/Schafer for Cody Ross trade coming very soon

Trade wouldn't make sense for the Marlins unless they are looking to unload Maybin or Coghlan in the near future. And all signs point to that not being the case. The Marlins like their outfield of Coghlan, Maybin, and Stanton. If we were going to trade any outfielder for Ross, I think it would be Melky Cabrera. It makes more sense on both sides. The Braves give an OF spot in the roster to Ross while the Marlins gain a decent backup outfielder who can play all 3 positions.

Trade wouldn't make sense for the Marlins unless they are looking to unload Maybin or Coghlan in the near future. And all signs point to that not being the case. The Marlins like their outfield of Coghlan, Maybin, and Stanton. If we were going to trade any outfielder for Ross, I think it would be Melky Cabrera. It makes more sense on both sides. The Braves give an OF spot in the roster to Ross while the Marlins gain a decent backup outfielder who can play all 3 positions.

I said that since the Marlins may be willing to gamble on Schafer, getting Dunn as the primary piece in the meantime. Melky would cost them a few million, while Jordan could sit in their minors for relatively nothing hoping he can prove something in the future.

I just always had a feeling that this kid wasn't ever really going to amount to much.

Of course I'd love to see him here and doing well for us, but I doubt that ever happens. I wish I could remember who it was that told me I was an idiot for saying Schaefer was never going to amount to anything in this organization, with the reasoning that he WAS being because he hit a homerun in his first at bat off of Cole Hamels, even though it wasn't Cole Hamels.

Hopefully he gets his head on straight, his swing working, and his wrist healed.

It's a shame, because a good performance in AAA would likely have gotten him back in CF this season with a shot at keeping a job there with McLouth's struggles. There's only going to be so many opportunities.

But Coghlan's natural position is 2B so he could easily be moved back there to make room for another outfielder. Uggla is done in Miami after this year.

But I'm not willing to give up on Schafer yet. But I tend to want to give guys more time than other people do. I guess that's just my natural. But from reading Mark Bowman's article it sounded like he needs a kick in the rump. Maybe this is a wake up call for him to get his act together.