July, 23, 2010

Jul 23

4:37

PM ET

* Email

* Print

* Comments1

By Pat Yasinskas

I thought Matt Ryan was the face of the Atlanta Falcons the last two years and would keep that role for the next decade or so.

But that’s been interrupted, temporarily. Very shortly, television viewers in the Atlanta market are going to be seeing a new face of the Falcons. It’s actor Samuel L. Jackson. He has deep ties to the Atlanta area and he has filmed a commercial to go with the team’s “Rise Up’’ advertising campaign.

"I still remember hearing the PA announcer call out ‘tackle by No. 60 Tommy Nobis and I still have my Steve Bartkowski jersey," Jackson said. "It was an honor for me to bring this spot to life for the city of Atlanta and the Falcons. I have a lot of respect for what Mr. [Arthur] Blank has done with the organization and team, and I really believe the Falcons are headed in the right direction. Walking out to do this commercial at midfield of the Georgia Dome was a special experience for me.”

The commercial will begin airing on Atlanta television Monday. But I just watched and it’s very cool. You, too, can see it by clicking here.

Jackson’s basic message is that the Falcons have spent most of their existence “knocking on the door’’ and now it’s time to rise up. Jackson did his part. Now, it’s up to Ryan and his teammates to go out and make it happen.

That was... wow... I cant lie..I was tired of the "This player needs to RISEUP" stuff on this MB...It just sound old... I was wishing that they didn't come up with this campaign but man... After seeing that..... wow... I am pumped... I felt those chills.

I heard the NFL was pushing the Falcons and Jets in promotion this year (up incoming teams).... The Jets got hardnocks and they gave us my boy Samuel L. Jackson.

Falcons.... Lets get it.

Change that wallet in Pulp Fiction:

Bad Mother####ing Falcon!

Awesome commercial. I was waiting for him to snap out of character and say something like " I'm sorry, did I break your concentration? I didn't mean to do that. Please, continue, you were saying something about best intentions. What's the matter? Oh, you were finished! Well, allow me to retort. What does Marsellus Wallace look like?"

But that was cool to see him doing the spot for us...

chills.....big time chills up and down my arms and neck....and even tears in these old eyes......

Same here, except mine are of embarrassment.

Samuel L. Jackson proves, once and for all, that he is incapable of turning anything down.

I think I'm gonna hire him to narrate my Tuesdays.

Same here, except mine are of embarrassment.

Samuel L. Jackson proves, once and for all, that he is incapable of turning anything down.

Once again, certain people gotta act too cool for school. Dudes wife is from Atlanta, he's done Atlanta commercials before.

Once again, certain people gotta act too cool for school. Dudes wife is from Atlanta, he's done Atlanta commercials before.

:rolleyes: Ok. Y'all are right, this isn't corny at all.

Bet all of you thought the Lebron Song was awesome too.

I kinda hope the Falcons dead this whole Rise Up thing. I'm all about rah-rah and lets beat some *** Falcons, but you can do that at the expense of not being lame too.

I thought the National Geographic style narration commercials were awesome last year. They should have kept with that theme and made them even better. I'm just not that wow'd by the whole "Hollywood celeb does a Falcons commercial" thing. I apologize for peeing in everyone's kool aid though.

Guest Gritz

Promoting a burgeoning NFL Team=Pretty Good Gig

Narrating Your Tuesday=A Job an Elementary School Janitor Would Turn Down