Dolphins looking for DE to replace Phillips Merling

Thomas Dimitroff said he's at 293 and looking forward to having a big year. We will be using him inside and he would move outside in some situations. He said that JA98 was looking forward to proving some people wrong. He said that entering his 4th year in the NFL is a big year for NFL players.

Jamaal can be considered a bust at DE. He clearly didn't have the sack numbers to justify keeping him at end. He didn't play badly inside though. There is a remote chance that putting on a few pounds and changing positions could save his career.

I think the Falcons would rather try him out at his new playing weight and new position (relatively) before trading him away. (Not that I think the Dolphins would be interested)

I think he has more value as a backup DT in our rotating scheme than anything any other team would offer us in trade.

This may sound weird but I really want to see what JA98 can do at DT, he has been working there alot this offseason and has even bulked up to 293, I really dont want to trade him just for the heck of it.

Me too. I think JA98 is gonna surprise some people this year at DT. I am not saying that he is gonna make the pro bowl or any thing but he is gonna be better than average. With Dunta, improved pass coverage, Abe and Biermann coming off the ends, JA98 is gonna finally put it into gear. I think his play will elevate, when he sees everybody else doing so. +1 Jaymadd

Me too. I think JA98 is gonna surprise some people this year at DT. I am not saying that he is gonna make the pro bowl or any thing but he is gonna be better than average. With Dunta, improved pass coverage, Abe and Biermann coming off the ends, JA98 is gonna finally put it into gear. I think his play will elevate, when he sees everybody else doing so. +1 Jaymadd

If he can prove to be valuable in the DT rotation that will be very good for JA98 to salvage his career. When i was at one of the OTA's JA98 only took snaps at DT so i think that whole offseason pretty much went like that for him, so i am anxious to see what he can do, but this is probably his last chance to prove he can contribute more than just a big body to this defense.

Nothing wrong with having hope for a player, but I just don't see any value in JA98. I beleive we would be better off getting a second or third round draft pick for him next year, that is if the Dolphins would agree to that. Nothing personal, #98 just haven't gotten the job done, and this is his 4th year.

I am not doing it. I was one of the fools that said I thought jamaal would get some sacks last year and I have tried to be positive about him at the start of every year. I hope he does do a good job for us inside, I really do. But I am not counting on it.

This may sound weird but I really want to see what JA98 can do at DT, he has been working there alot this offseason and has even bulked up to 293, I really dont want to trade him just for the heck of it.

I don't see why not, he signed a contract just for the heck of it, b/c he haven't done jack. :ph34r:

I wonder how he carries the weight? If it didn't slow he down too much, the prospect of a 293 lb. end is intriguing.

How about a goal line defense where the lightest guy is 274 lbs, with JA98, Babs, Jerry, and Davis?

Nothing wrong with having hope for a player, but I just don't see any value in JA98. I beleive we would be better off getting a second or third round draft pick for him next year, that is if the Dolphins would agree to that. Nothing personal, #98 just haven't gotten the job done, and this is his 4th year.

Yeah, this is his fourth and probably his final year if he doesn't step it up. That being said let's give the guy a shot at DT. I think JA98's number one problem over the last 3 years was a lack of motivation and not coming into training camp in shape. (okay maybe a slow first step too) But, I honestly think he is gonna finally gonna get off the schneid! TRUST ME :lol:

JA98 is much better in traffic and the run stop than he ever was at putting pressure on the QB---I too think he will have a much better year

Edited by Nono

does "bulked up" mean he's been a gym rat the whole offseason, or does it mean he's been eating donuts and ho-ho's???

Everybody is calling for JA98's head like the light just can't come on for him this year. Roddy was a bust too but his light eventually came on (and everybody remembers that). We know the talent is there that is why we always harp on JA98. You don't get drafted 8th overall and not have talent (unless your Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russell). I think JA98 truly has new motivation like Roddy got when Horn came and showed him how to be a professional WR. JA98 just turned 24 not too long ago. He has been in the league since he was 20. You can't expect a 20 year old to be truly dominant. Most rookies are 21,22,23. To have gone through what he has gone through (complete failure and bust label) and to take a position change in full stride shows what kind of confidence he has. And for TD to even mention him without being coaxed shows he is serious about getting better.

I am excited to see him bulldozing OGs and OCs in the middle this year.

The guy played well for us at DT and he is a good run stopping DE. He has value for us more than anything we can get in a trade with Miami. unless they wanna give us a 2nd round draft pick.

No way we get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th for JA98.

Totally agree i dont know where people come up with we are getting a 2nd or 3rd for JA? I mean if we could i would do it in a heartbeat, but we are not! And i agree, hes better depth for this team rather than having a 5th or 6th rounder. I would like to see him on this team too for one more year and see if this DT thing can work out. Andi also like having a bigger line on short gain situations!

I'm curious as well I mean he didnt work out at DE so the move to the middle would help us as well as depth, because Peria might not be ready and with Babs situation will give him more reps to get his numbers up. But I was just thinking he 6'6 and has bulked up to 290 those are freakish numbers hopefully he can produce better than at DE

No one is going to send us anything for JA. He is an unproven DE, DT, and DE in another scheme. They would be nuts to give us anything for someone who flat out hasn't proven anything.

I have said for the last 2 years that I thought JA could pull his game together and produce for us on the field. I was wrong. I won't be wrong a third time. I hope he produces for us in a rotation at DT, but I am not sticking my neck out to say I think he will.

Based on our last few drafts, neither is our front office.