Analysis of Schedule

vel

I have gotten kind of tired of the somber thoughts on the board (Can we win with [insert Subjest Here], Our FO is lying to us because Jerry [blah Blah Blah], or I hope Spoon signs before camp). I decided to do my own schedule analysis.

Sept 12: Atl @ Pit: A lot of us have chalked this up as a win (myself included) and I can't remember the last time the Steelers were the underdogs at home in a season opener. But with Big Ben gone, Santonio Holmers shipped, Willie Colon out for the season, and Limas Sweed out for the season, their offense has been gutted. Having Hines Ward as your main WR option at this point in his career isn't a "Dunt"-ing task lol. Their OLine is suspect in pass protection. They lost Willie Parker so the workload is on second year RB Rashad Mendenhall. We are most likely going to face Leftwich which is even less of a threat. But what makes me hesitate is the defense. James Harrison isn't the All-Pro miracle player he was 2 years ago. Polamalu is coming off an injury. Their corners are suspect. But at the end of the day, it is the Steelers defense and they will be ready. Prediction: 1-0

Sept 19: Ari @ Atl: Revenge is at hand. First they beat us in the Playoffs. Then they get black jerseys that look exactly like ours?! I think we should bring out our blacks just to show them how they are supposed to look. Gone is the HOF safety in Kurt Warner, Anquan Boldin, Karlos Dansby, and Antrel Rolle. This will be a new team. I don't think their offense will be clicking just yet with a weak Leinart handling things. Not much to say about this game as we put it away late in the 3rd qtr. Prediction: 2-0

Sept 26: Atl @ No: Now a lot of people have been giving the Saints this win and rightfully so as they are the champs and it is early in the season as well as being in the Superdome. But they are coming off two very tough games in the Vikings and 49ers. We are coming off two less strenuous games possibly in PIT and ARI. We are riding a 5 game win streak at the moment while the Saints could possibly be 1-1 (or wishful thinking 0-2). We can capitalize on this rare opportunity to take an early lead in the division. I think we pin our ears back and show them what the Falcons are like at full strength. (Will still be a nail biter though) Prediction: 3-0

Oct 3:SF @ Atl: 45-10. 45-10. 45-10. Don't underestimate the impact this has on a Mike Singletary coached team. The Dre Bly celebrations are gone. I think we still are too strong of a team for them at this point in the season as they are still trying to rectify OLine issues (predict starting Iupati/Davis at RG/RT which could spell trouble for Alex Smith). I think we show them that the NFC South Falcons aren't the old NFC West Falcons. But this game will be a lot closer. Prediction: 4-0

Oct 10: Atl @ Cle: Blessing after going 4-0. We can take it easy again after 2 hard games back to back. A team like Cleveland that is just a complete mess will be easy to handle. Cribbs/Massaquoi as starting WRs isn't that threatening although they have a good rushing attack with Harrison/Hardesty. Pretty decent secondary as well but won't be a challenge. Some quality gametime experience for depth players may happen in this game. Prediction: 5-0

*At this point ESPN tries to jump on the bandwagon and we kick them off with no hesitation. But we keep Hannah Storm and Sage Steele*

Oct 17: McNabb-less Eagles find it hard to fly in this league without an elite QB. Plus Westbrook is gone as well. But at the end of the day they are the Eagles and we just have yet to figure them out. Maybe this year will be different. They beat us handedly without our core players. Good news: Our offense will be back to health (at least a lot more healthier than last year's debacle). Sidbury had a strong showing against them. Smitty will have them up for this one. Vick won't be 2-0 against his former team. Prediction: 6-0

Oct 24: Cin @ Atl: I think the Bengals will be one of the harder teams this year we face. They have a very good rushing attack with the resurgent Cedric Benson. Ochocinco never disappoints. Jermaine Gresham and Antonio Bryant are welcome additions as well. Potential high octane offense. All hinges on health of Palmer. Plus they have a very good defense. Good DLine. Very good LBs (Rivers/Jones/Maualuga) and the 2nd best CB tandem (behind NYJ). Things get tough for us as we look forward to the bye week as we have been running full octane to this point. Prediction: 6-1

*Bye Week*

Nov 7: TB @ Atl: Fresh off the bye week back where we left off in week 6 in Philly. Dominate our division rival at home to make a point that we will own the NFCS. Prediction: 7-1

Nov 11: Bal @ Atl: Real QBs lead their teams. Flacco QBs follow their team and take some of the credit for wins but dodge the press for losses. Ryan shows Flacco why he is the better QB in this showdown that everyone has waited for since 08. Short weak but I think us coming from facing a weak team than the Ravens (TB<MIA) and being extra focused from winning that game, we are more prepared. Although they have a formidable defense, we are playing at home. The Dome is packed for our first Thursday night game and we are 7-1. Ryan shows his elite status by feasting on the weak corners that the Ravens trot onto the field. DeCoud has more INTs this game than Reed. We lay it all on the line to get this win and a long week of rest Prediction:8-1

Nov 21: Atl @ Stl: By now Bradford is probably hurt already. If not, he has one of the worst teams in the league to try and lead against the conference leaders at the moment. No real WR threats. Have to contain Stephen Jackson. Keep 8 in the box for most of the game as we put this one on cruise control early. Prediction: 9-1

Nov 28: GB @ Atl: Aaron Rodgers and the Packers come to Atlanta this time for the 08 rematch but I think Rodgers is too much for our secondary to handle. He teaches Ryan a few things as well as our defense. This game hinges on us getting pressure on Rodgers and capitalizing on the weak OLine play. Not banking on a win here as we lose our annual home game here. Prediction: 9-2

Dec 5: Atl @ TB: Sweep the Bucs. Remind them of the '10 season. Freeman has a good game but the team still isn't good enough to but us. Prediction: 10-2

Dec 12: Atl @ Car: By now we are chomping at the bit to clinch the division title. 4 games left and 3 are in the NFCS. Just win 2 NFCS games and we are the #1 seed. Determination is a mother when you play for a Smitty coached team. He knows what's on the line. The team knows what's on the line. We didn't go through the injury-riddlen '10 season and end up 9-7 anyway for no reason. We show the Panthers why they are the doormats of the NFC South at this point in the season. Prediction: 11-2

Dec 19: Atl @ Sea: Our only cold weather game. But it is against a mere NFC West doormat team. Hasselbeck's back has seized up from all of the sacks he has taken (pun intended). Carroll is exposed for having to cheat in college to win and doesn't have superior talent in SEA to counter his lack of coaching intelligence. Not a blowout though as we aren't accustomed to cold weather games this season compared to last season. Prediction: 12-2

Dec 27: No @ Atl: Madden Curse has kicked in. Magical season hangover has kicked in. The wind blew the Falcons in the finish them off and claim the crown against the reigning champs. Prediction: 13-2

Jan 2: Car @ Atl: Goddell's attempt to keep Week 17 interesting doesn't work in the Falcon dominated NFC South. We have clinched the division and our the #1 seed. No point in risking injury against a Panthers team who will try and prove a moot point against the division champs. Prediction: 13-3

*Disclaimer* Yea there is a lot of wishful thinking in this prediction (i.e. opening the season 6-1) But I think a lot of it hinges on if we can beat the Saints and 49ers back to back. If we do that, then we will have A LOT of momentum. Of the first 7 teams, the hardest are NO, SF, and Cincy. If we can win 2 out of 3 of those(hoping for NO/SF obviously), then I think 6-1 is highly likely by the bye week. The second half of the season is similar with BAL,GB being the tough ones and the late CAR games. But it isn't unreasonable... in my opinion.

Our scary games are Saints on the road, Saints in our house, Ravens in our house, Benagls in our house, and Green Bay at Atlanta. We could see a good challenge from the Steelers and the Eagles as well, but I think we're the favorite in both those games.

So a good schedule, we play the hardest teams in our house, and we don't have anything "extra" thrown in to make things more difficult for us? I like our odds.

We COULD grab 13-14 wins this year if things work out ideally for us. I would be surprised if we saw anything less than 11 wins if health isn't an issue.

Bah, we are going to kick the sheet out of the Bungles and the Pack as well ...I remember in 08, I told everyone we would beat the cheeseheads, and we will do it again ...I would rather have us beat the good teams like GB and stumble one to the Sucs or something than to beat up on the putzes and lose to all the good teams ....you get to the playoffs you gotta play with the big dogs ....NO MORE ONE AND DONES FOR US !!! :ph34r:

Bah, we are going to kick the sheet out of the Bungles and the Pack as well ...I remember in 08, I told everyone we would beat the cheeseheads, and we will do it again ...I would rather have us beat the good teams like GB and stumble one to the Sucs or something than to beat up on the putzes and lose to all the good teams ....you get to the playoffs you gotta play with the big dogs ....NO MORE ONE AND DONES FOR US !!! :ph34r:

Rather not lose to the Bucs cuz that is divisional which is a lot more important than beating the Pack. We can go to the playoffs with a 8-8 record if we go undefeated in the NFCS

What's so funny Buc? Yall aren't beating us coming off a bye week at home and Tye Hill is no longer for you guys to use and abuse. We beat you guys with no Turner to end the season last year as well. I mean... not much of a threat IMO yet but I wouldn't be surprised if you guys are 3rd in the NFCS about CAR

What's so funny Buc? Yall aren't beating us coming off a bye week at home and Tye Hill is no longer for you guys to use and abuse. We beat you guys with no Turner to end the season last year as well. I mean... not much of a threat IMO yet but I wouldn't be surprised if you guys are 3rd in the NFCS about CAR

this isn't last year homie, we dont have half the team we did last year. Anywho we gonna not only Beat the falcon after their bye week in your HOUSE, but we goona spank that @$$ again in them Creamsicles too! :)

Plese hold onto those memories form last year cause thats all your goona have after this season. :D you aint sweping us again for a longggg time. So yea, thanks op for the all the lols i got. +1

HAHA Bucman you have always been my favorite rival poster (remember that thread I wrote about how more should be like you lol) but to think we will lose to little sissy men in pastel uniforms is hysterical! I'm sorry but your WR corps is depending on rookies. Sophomore slump will happen to Freeman. Only thing I am nervous about is your new DT duo in McCoy and Price. I actually shuddered when I saw that happen.

But I'm guessing about 70 points in two games. Give or take 10.

Price is nothing to worry about, Freeman is nothing to worry a bout. McCoy is something to worry about depending on how long he holds out. Then again, remember, he's no where near the player in college that Glen Dorsey was either, and we all saw what happened to that truly elite talent on a bad team. It happens all the time.

I fully expect the Bucs to be the cellar dwellars of the NFC South @ 4-12 to 6-10. Honestly, I hope they over achieve and go 8-8, but it's not going to happen.

As far as the OP goes, it's not likely the Falcons lose 2 games at home, it's also not likely we beat the Saints on the road. I could see us winning 2 of the games you have as losses simply because they're @ home, and I could see us losing on the road a couple times, just because they're on the road. It's going to be a fun season for sure, but I think the Falcons could end up as high as 13-3.

But I gave reason to why we beat the Saints in New Orleans. It's not like I just picked them to win based on who they were. They are going to play 3 emotionally draining games back to back to back and we have the potential to get an early lead on the division. I think Smitty will have the boys pumped for this one. I gave reason as to why I thought we would lose to the Bengals at home (hard to open season 7-0 and we had to lose to somebody IMO. I see us going 6-1 in the first 7 weeks with potential losses to NO, SF, and Cincy). And only reason we lose the 2nd game at home is because we rest our starters. Could you provide more reasoning as to why you don't find this possible instead of saying "because..."?

Undefeated on the road? Where the current regime has gone 7-10 in the last two seasons? OK.

Yeah, I like our chances this year better than last year, but you got a point. We have to learn how to win on the road. Gotta get that swagga to walk into any opponent's house and take it over. B)

Really how are you scared off going 7-0 on the road. If we beat PIT and NO in the first 3 games on the road I see us going 7-0 on the road. We can beat Philly and Seattle IMO are the 2 hardest left after that.

I like your optimism vel and although I agree we could post a 13-3 record (12-4 seems more realistic IMO) I don't think those three losses will include the Bengals or Panthers. I see us dropping one to the Aints in their home, one to either the Packers/Ravens or both, and/or the Eagles or 49ers. Now, I mention the Eagles and 49ers because they both have good LB cores. Turner could possibly have slow days in those games and as we all know when the run game isn't present, we tend to struggle a bit. The key is the Iceman. If Ryan makes strides this year to where he can carry the team on his shoulders then 13-3 will seem the better assumption. If the defense starts to click early however, then I see us going undefeated.

HIGH HOPES...Even if it is a knock down, drag out emotionally draining games against the Falcons, I have complete confidence the Saints will find a way to win even if by 1 point. B)

The Saints and Falcons will split this year. Home and Home.

I have the same confidence that the Falcons will find a way to beat the saints in the Georgia Dome... if by only one point. But it will be more than one point.