BVG on hotseat

HOTTEST SEATS

Falcons: Brian VanGorder. The defensive coordinator has done a nice job of working with the talent he’s had the past two seasons. The Falcons haven’t always had the talent to play the kind of defense coach Mike Smith and Van Gorder want and they’ve gotten by with patchwork. But those days are over. Last year’s top picks, defensive tackle Peria Jerry and safety William Moore, return after missing almost all their rookie seasons with injuries and the Falcons used their top two picks this year on linebacker Sean Weatherspoon and defensive tackle Corey Peters. They also spent a fortune signing cornerback Dunta Robinson. Although questions remain about the pass rush, the Falcons have the talent to play their scheme. That means the defense must take a big step forward.

I was really disappointed when we brought him on. I went to High school with his kids for a while and I cant say I ever liked any of them either. Or him for that matter regardless of football knowledge. Anyways, I really think we let him go sometime in the next 2 years. There are a lot of defensive coordinators with a better track record than Van Gorder. That and he hasn't done much for us IMO.

I was really disappointed when we brought him on. I went to High school with his kids for a while and I cant say I ever liked any of them either. Or him for that matter regardless of football knowledge. Anyways, I really think we let him go sometime in the next 2 years. There are a lot of defensive coordinators with a better track record than Van Gorder. That and he hasn't done much for us IMO.

Who runs the scheme the way Smith wants it to be better than BVG? Unless Del Rio is fired and in some awkward twist of fate he becomes our defensive coordinator, I don't think there is anyone else out there who can run things the way Smith wants them to be like BVG.

I don't know why people blame Van Gorder for most of our defensive troubles. I rarely if ever catch myself saying "why did we run that play?" and instead it is always "why didn't you make that tackle?" or "why didn't you get your head around?". Players are in position to make plays in this scheme, they just haven't. That's why an influx of talent like the articles suggests should allow for more game changing plays.

I wouldnt mind seeing this long list of defensive coordinators.

Who runs the scheme the way Smith wants it to be better than BVG? Unless Del Rio is fired and in some awkward twist of fate he becomes our defensive coordinator, I don't think there is anyone else out there who can run things the way Smith wants them to be like BVG.

I don't know why people blame Van Gorder for most of our defensive troubles. I rarely if ever catch myself saying "why did we run that play?" and instead it is always "why didn't you make that tackle?" or "why didn't you get your head around?". Players are in position to make plays in this scheme, they just haven't. That's why an influx of talent like the articles suggests should allow for more game changing plays.

I disagree. There have been numerous times where I have questioned his play calling ability. More often than not I find that Van Gorder blitz's at the most inopportune times and he doesnt blitz when he should or when its an obvious running down. Success of a defense has a lot to do with its blitzing strategy. I dont like the strategy we use in our blitz packages.

I disagree. There have been numerous times where I have questioned his play calling ability. More often than not I find that Van Gorder blitz's at the most inopportune times and he doesnt blitz when he should or when its an obvious running down. Success of a defense has a lot to do with its blitzing strategy. I dont like the strategy we use in our blitz packages.

That is one thing I'll give you, our blitz packages aren't very impressive. However, blitzing isn't a major part of our scheme. For this defense to really work, we have to get pressure from the front four alone. That's a lot of the reason we weren't successful last year.

He throws some of the most terrible blitz' I have ever seen. Terribly disguised and set up. We always got toasted when we blitzed.

He needs to disguise our coverages better ....how many times you see a good intelligent QB like Brees or Manning check out on us man , our blitzes are telegraphed and they know exactly what we are up too ....that being said, BVG is a fiery in your face coach who can get the most out of what he's working with ...like the original post said, it's not like he's been working with a bunch of pro bowlers ....lets see what he can do with the upgraded talent available ....

The way I understand it, one of the big reasons, if not the main reason Smith brought in BVG was he wanted someone who could relate well to young players fresh out of college and help develop them. He's done a good job with that. Guys like Lofton, DeCoud, and Biermann have done really well under him. That can't be overlooked.

The way I understand it, one of the big reasons, if not the main reason Smith brought in BVG was he wanted someone who could relate well to young players fresh out of college and help develop them. He's done a good job with that. Guys like Lofton, DeCoud, and Biermann have done really well under him. That can't be overlooked.

Yea, I think he's done pretty dam good considering . Helll, if anyone should be on a hot seat it should be Mularkey .. :blink:

Edited by freebird310

Agree'd.. I wish we had gotten a top notch DC like Gregg Williams

Agree'd.. I wish we had gotten a top notch DC like Gregg Williams

Dude was known more for a failed coaching tenure with the Bills and a few good years with the Redskins before doing terribly. The year he coached D for the Jags after Smitty left wasn't impressive. He's just another part of the Saints hype machine in a year where they had the ball bounce their way more often than not. He's not some magical super defensive coordinator who has some innovative scheme.

Put a flashing green light around this post. The man gets it.

I think I have questioned more offensive play calls over the last two years than I have defensive play calls. The offense was loaded with talent, the defense? not until now. We will have to see what happens this year but I don't see any of our coaches going anywhere in the next couple of years.

Edited by Sho'Nuff

BVG the last 2 years has also done a lot of things with smoke and mirrors. This year he has most of the pieces and some should be getting in their prime. So I agree he needs to pop us at least in the middle of the pack as far as defensive ranking. I would like top 10 but I'm not going to make any bets. ;)

Also I agree about one thing, the blitzing needs to be worked on, but you don't have to blitz if your getting pressure with you front 4. ;)

Edited by nativefalcon

He's got the players let's see what he can do.

BVG the last 2 years has also done a lot of things with smoke and mirrors. This year he has most of the pieces and some should be getting in their prime. So I agree he needs to pop us at least in the middle of the pack as far as defensive ranking. I would like top 10 but I'm not going to make any bets. ;)

Also I agree about one thing, the blitzing needs to be worked on, but you don't have to blitz if your getting pressure with you front 4. ;)

I hope these 2 are the crux of the situation (if there is a "situation") w/BVG. Least JP said what a lot of us are thinking, out loud. I have posed the question about VG several times on the board, "Does he have all the pieces now?" This is probably the only thread I've seen where some posters have stepped up and said they believe he does. So, I wanna see something this year. I totally agree w/those that said our blitzes looked "predictable" and "forecasted" last year. You don't have to do a trick formation every time, but 9 plays out of 10, they just lined up and waited for the ball to be snapped. Where's the movement? Where's the trying to confuse/surprise the offense? Maybe it's just me... I don't claim to be a FB guru, but I just didn't see it last year. Am not trying to say he sucks, because I don't know enough about it to be qualified to assess his talent. But I can say I haven't been especially impressed w/what I do know about it to say he's a great coordinator.

So we're agreed? He's got the talent now? Which means we should see some pudding w/proof in it in 2010. :)

I am not a fan of BVG, but I also know football and what the ugly side of rebuilding a team is

for OC's and DC's.

We opted to rebuild the Offense first and that left BVG with hind teet.

As some have indicated, we have supplemented via FA and, with that

screams for a big step forward regarding the pass coverage.

I also will add this.

Spoon could be the next big ticket in the NFL, and if he is

we will see that by after the bye week.

But I will tell you this.

You are going to start seeing Blitzes and stunts this year.

If Not then it could very well be the end of BVG

I think I have questioned more offensive play calls over the last two years than I have defensive play calls. The offense was loaded with talent, the defense? not until now. We will have to see what happens this year but I don't see any of our coaches going anywhere in the next couple of years.

People are criticizing a man whose number one corner was Chris Houston? And We went to the playoffs too? :blink: Boy you just can't please some of these fans around here. And I agree with the above, Mike Mularkey perform much worse with more to work with! Even in 2008,the Falcons were one of the worse teams in the red zone and were top 5 in 3rd and long.

I think we were also hamstrung defensively by injury last year and I think BVG and MS could'nt probably be as aggressive as they would have wanted to be so I think in alot of situations we were in a prevent instead of attack mode.

I look at last years defence and think how bad was it really if it was as bad as everyone here is saying well some of you guys make it sound like we went 6-10 or 4-12 or something.In my view sure we were defficient in some area's and we probaly could have been better but we still won 9 games so I'm expecting big improvements this year as alot of the guys used last year your Vance Walkers,Chris Owens and a like have gained valuable experience which when we throw in a fit PJ a rejuvenated JA55 Dunta Robinson all is I see is onwards and upwards for BVG and the defence.