Weatherspoon contract rumours on ESPN Insider.

Over the course of this offseason, the Atlanta Falcons gave first-round draft pick Sean Weatherspoon (No. 19 overall) time at both outside linebacker positions, as it hasn't yet been determined where exactly he'll play. Coach Mike Smith has referred to Weatherspoon in the past as the team's "four-down" linebacker, since he'll be able to have a role in all facets of base defense, as well as draw some duties on special teams.

Unfortunately, Weatherspoon's progress may have hit a roadblock, as D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that contract talks with Weatherspoon are "moving at a snail's pace."

As of now, the only first-round pick to sign is Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant, the No. 24 overall pick. Last year's No. 19 overall pick, Philadelphia Eagles WR Jeremy Maclin, got a five-year, $15.5 million deal, with $9.5 million guaranteed. The No. 18 pick in 2009, Denver Broncos LB Robert Ayers, got a similar deal: five years, $15.5 million with $9.7 million guaranteed. Given the position, the Ayers deal may be the template instead of the Maclin deal.

I'm not worried, after 10 picks the money all so so, it shouldnt be anything near a holdout. I dont see them wanting to play chicken with a contract this insignficant of somehwere int he neighborhood of a 5 year 16-18 mil contract.

Why is Ledbetter still considered a credible source? I mean really. The guy basically says every possible scenario so he can always be right. But he looks like an idiot. Even back during the draft they had him on NFL Network saying we'll take either Pouncey, Graham, or Spoon. WHO DIDN'T KNOW THAT?! But obviously he gets credit because he wasn't wrong and they both went ahead of Spoon. His name is like saying Harry Potter to Voldemort. You just shouldn't say it around here lmao

Over the course of this offseason, the Atlanta Falcons gave first-round draft pick Sean Weatherspoon (No. 19 overall) time at both outside linebacker positions, as it hasn't yet been determined where exactly he'll play. Coach Mike Smith has referred to Weatherspoon in the past as the team's "four-down" linebacker, since he'll be able to have a role in all facets of base defense, as well as draw some duties on special teams.

Unfortunately, Weatherspoon's progress may have hit a roadblock, as D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that contract talks with Weatherspoon are "moving at a snail's pace."

As of now, the only first-round pick to sign is Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant, the No. 24 overall pick. Last year's No. 19 overall pick, Philadelphia Eagles WR Jeremy Maclin, got a five-year, $15.5 million deal, with $9.5 million guaranteed. The No. 18 pick in 2009, Denver Broncos LB Robert Ayers, got a similar deal: five years, $15.5 million with $9.7 million guaranteed. Given the position, the Ayers deal may be the template instead of the Maclin deal.

I'm not worried, after 10 picks the money all so so, it shouldnt be anything near a holdout. I dont see them wanting to play chicken with a contract this insignficant of somehwere int he neighborhood of a 5 year 16-18 mil contract.

Its ESPN they're probably lying about half this **** just to piss us off.

First - these guys need to stop depending on AJC for their info - a lot of it is conjecture.

Second - I would expect it to be at a snails pace or non existant until some precedent is set in the first round.

It'll start rolling soon - now that we have one signed in 1st.

"Moving at a snail's pace" is not what I was hoping to hear. We need Weatherspoon in camp from Day 1.

It's not what you wanted to hear, but I think everyone on the forums need to realize that there are 32 other first rounders this season. And nearly all of their deals are moving at a snails pace. It's just the way the contract signings will be this season. You see it in even the free agents.

The Falcons love 'Spoon. They will get a deal done soon, just give it time. In the end I am willing to bet the Falcons will cave into whatever Weatherspoon's minimum demands are, because they want him bad, and in my opinion, they need him. It'll get done. I'm not worried.

Why is Ledbetter still considered a credible source? I mean really. The guy basically says every possible scenario so he can always be right. But he looks like an idiot. Even back during the draft they had him on NFL Network saying we'll take either Pouncey, Graham, or Spoon. WHO DIDN'T KNOW THAT?! But obviously he gets credit because he wasn't wrong and they both went ahead of Spoon. His name is like saying Harry Potter to Voldemort. You just shouldn't say it around here lmao

LOL! True Whenever I see a post and his name is attached, I am always skeptical. +1

ESPN, supposedly the world wide leader in sports, puts as their "inside" information D Led's blog on the unknown. :rolleyes: It's absolutely amazing that thousands of future journalists fight over the one or two intern gigs a year for them. It's the biggest name in sports journalism but they contribute very little.

There insider is just as bad as their special segments on TV. When people post something coming up the follow up comments always seemed deflated like even a novice could have reported that common information.

I appreciate those who post the Insider thing just the same.