Majic On Lebron

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Magic-Johnson-is-also-not-impressed-with-LeBron-?urn=nba-257330

Apparently there is a new trend in the NBA — retired legends turned team owners speaking out about LeBron James'(notes) signing with the Miami Heat. It's the sweetest thing to do this summer, cool dudes and dudettes.

First, Michael Jordan said there was "no way" he would have ever joined forces with two other superstars to chase a championship. Now, one of those guys Jordan said he would have never linked up with is doing the same.

From Bloomberg News' Barry Rothbard:

Basketball Hall of Famer Magic Johnson said he never would have joined with Larry Bird to win a championship the way LeBron James is teaming with Dwyane Wade(notes). [...]

"We didn't think about it cause that's not what we were about," said Johnson, whose Michigan State squad beat Bird's Indiana State team in the 1979 National Collegiate Athletic Association championship. "From college, I was trying to figure out how to beat Larry Bird."

Johnson's comments came during an interview Tuesday morning at Baruch College in New York, and they're just more proof that LeBron James' decision isn't sitting well across the league. Either they'll serve as motivation for the two-time MVP to prove the haterz wrong, or letting down his idols will damage James' confidence, sending him in to a funk. Considering he announced his free-agent decision in an hour-long special, I'm thinking the confidence will be doing just fine.

Of course, the only logical move now is for someone to find out what Larry Bird thinks about LeBron James teaming up with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh(notes). Sure, he might not own the Pacers, but he's got a high-level job with the team. That's good enough. The being-a-legend thing helps too.

Um, Magic, you do realize you played with one the greatest centers in NBA history don't you? I wouldn't have worried about teaming up with Bird either if I had Abdul-Jabaar on my team (along with a host of others).

These guys are frustrating the crap out of me. Barkley and Malone both left their teams to join forces with superstars the try and win a championship. Nobody killed them for it, granted none of them proclaimed themselves "The Chosen One".

Jordan's earlier comments seemed to suggest he did it by himself. After he left, the Bulls still went to the Conference Finals...how far do you think the Cavs will get without LeBron? Pippen was the best defender in the NBA, certainly the best on the ball defender. He was with Jordan forever. Jordan,throughout his career, also had the best Euro at the time, Kukoc and the best rebounder in Rodman. And don't underestimate how good Horace Grant was.

It's easy for these guys to judge LeBron, but they wouldn't have been any better in Cleveland. No NBA superstar or quasi superstar is going to the Cleveland to play basketball.

That said, I didn't like the way LeBron announced his decision. For me it kinda felt like he was rubbing Cleveland's face in it.

Sorry, went off on a tangent a little bit there.

EDIT: I realize I spelled Magic wrong in the title...you can let me have it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Magic-Johnson-is-also-not-impressed-with-LeBron-?urn=nba-257330

Um, Magic, you do realize you played with one the greatest centers in NBA history don't you? I wouldn't have worried about teaming up with Bird either if I had Abdul-Jabaar on my team (along with a host of others).

These guys are frustrating the crap out of me. Barkley and Malone both left their teams to join forces with superstars the try and win a championship. Nobody killed them for it, granted none of them proclaimed themselves "The Chosen One".

Jordan's earlier comments seemed to suggest he did it by himself. After he left, the Bulls still went to the Conference Finals...how far do you think the Cavs will get without LeBron? Pippen was the best defender in the NBA, certainly the best on the ball defender. He was with Jordan forever. Jordan,throughout his career, also had the best Euro at the time, Kukoc and the best rebounder in Rodman. And don't underestimate how good Horace Grant was.

It's easy for these guys to judge LeBron, but they wouldn't have been any better in Cleveland. No NBA superstar or quasi superstar is going to the Cleveland to play basketball.

That said, I didn't like the way LeBron announced his decision. For me it kinda felt like he was rubbing Cleveland's face in it.

You're right, though. Magic had aids on his team and didn't need to switch teams.

I get the feeling that for the old school NBA players its the fact that Lebron, Wade and Bosh all got together beforehand and talked about playing together instead of letting the chips fall where they may and let their coming together as a team happen naturally.

Wasn't Magic drafted by the lakers who happened to had Abdul-Jabaar? I think thats totally different my friend.

I don't see how it's different. It has nothing to do with who was there before whom. If Magic was drafted by the Clippers, we likely wouldn't be talking about him in the same light. He never had to leave, he had one of the greatest players in NBA history on his team. Magic, Jordan, Bird, none of these guys would have stayed in Cleveland with Antawn Jamison and Mo Williams. Jordan isn't winning 6 championships with those clowns, Magic isn't winning one. I am just saying it's real easy for them to criticize LeBron, they were not in his situation.

The Lakers and Celtics were straight hustling to place talent around their stars ...L.A. got the #1 overall pick in the draft after finishing 2nd in the division ('79) and then they got James Worthy with the #1 overall pick in '82 ( a year after winning the championship)..What Buss was doing back then was almost criminal. They are the reason the whole lottery system was put into place..As for Larry Legend..Bird was already playing with 4 hall of famers (count em) when they drafted Len Bias with the #2 pick (imagine what that was gonna be like) .... Him and Magic really needs to stfu about LeBron joining with other stars..It's actually pathetic when you take time to look back on the facts and see the revisionist history that folks are trying to present...All everyone is really mad about is the fact that this time the players made the power move and not a Buss or Auerbach..If Lebron already had Amare and Chris Kaman on his team and then the Cavs drafted Brandon Roy and John Wall (in a 3 year period) he wouldn't have to leave Cleveland and everyone would say he "won on his own as 'the man'.. Like they say about Magic and Bird…

I understand what you're saying, especially with regards to Magic. However, I think it's like someone else stated, vets find it odd/cowardly that these guys got together and dictated what they were going to do instead of letting it happen by letting the team/GM build a team or put the pieces together. I can't really hate on that aspect of it.

I will say this though, nobody can dispute that when Magic lead those teams...he was the undisputed leader/"the man" on those squads. That first year he played center in the Finals b/c Kareem was out. As for Jordan, he had to go through his trials and tribulations and while Scottie is an all-time great...I truly do think that he was great b/c he played with Jordan. Had he never gone to the Bulls I don't know that he'd have gone on to be a top 50 player in the league all-time. All those other guys, while they made huge contributions...were role players.

In the end I can't fault Lebron for not wanting to chance that the Cavs would figure out the right supporting cast...but I do think in the end he doubted his ability to carry a team to the title.

I don't see how it's different. It has nothing to do with who was there before whom. If Magic was drafted by the Clippers, we likely wouldn't be talking about him in the same light. He never had to leave, he had one of the greatest players in NBA history on his team. Magic, Jordan, Bird, none of these guys would have stayed in Cleveland with Antawn Jamison and Mo Williams. Jordan isn't winning 6 championships with those clowns, Magic isn't winning one. I am just saying it's real easy for them to criticize LeBron, they were not in his situation.

Jordan was in LeBron's situation. In both their 7th season they went 61-21, the rosters around them had very similar scoring averages the ONLY real difference that can be quantified is the Bulls were NBA Champs, the Cavs lost in the Eastern Semis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9310_Cleveland_Cavaliers_season

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990%E2%80%9391_Chicago_Bulls_season

Another MAJOR difference is that Jordan was the leader of his teams, LeBron is willing to play 2nd fiddle. They both have tons of talent, Lebron will just never be Jordan or greater than Jordan, ever. Bird was the leader of the Celtics, as was Magic not to mention Charles Barkley who despite never winning a ring was the undisputed leader of the Sixers and Suns.

I understand what you're saying, especially with regards to Magic. However, I think it's like someone else stated, vets find it odd/cowardly that these guys got together and dictated what they were going to do instead of letting it happen by letting the team/GM build a team or put the pieces together. I can't really hate on that aspect of it.

I will say this though, nobody can dispute that when Magic lead those teams...he was the undisputed leader/"the man" on those squads. That first year he played center in the Finals b/c Kareem was out. As for Jordan, he had to go through his trials and tribulations and while Scottie is an all-time great...I truly do think that he was great b/c he played with Jordan. Had he never gone to the Bulls I don't know that he'd have gone on to be a top 50 player in the league all-time. All those other guys, while they made huge contributions...were role players.

In the end I can't fault Lebron for not wanting to chance that the Cavs would figure out the right supporting cast...but I do think in the end he doubted his ability to carry a team to the title.

Exactly, if I had to travel around the country for 9-10 months out of the year with a group of 10-15 people I'd want to travel with my friends if possible. I do think you're right, Lebron panicked after going 7 seasons without winning anything significant.

It's different because Magic nor did Jordan left teams to join a team together along with Bird. Back then they wanted to beat each other.

And considering the poor talent LeBron was surrounded with I can see why he left. He wants to beat Lakers and the Celtics.

He had fine talent, they were winning.

LeBron played in a Championship Series and his team followed that season up with two 60+ win seasons. If there wasn't star power in Cleveland, there also was no lack of talent.

It's different because Magic nor did Jordan left teams to join a team together along with Bird. Back then they wanted to beat each other.

Magic, Jordan, and Bird never had to leave their teams because they had talent around them. In Magic's and Bird's case, they had all star/HOF players around them. You could even make the case for Jordan, he had Pippen, Grant, Rodman, Kerr, Paxson, BJ Armstrong, Ron Harper among others . . . I just read an article today that compared LJ's cast with what they had to play with, and I think among all of LJ's teammates, he had 2 of them make an all star team while he was there, the others had a whole gang of guys who were all pros, all stars, hall of famers, etc. There is no question, that Magic, Bird, and Jordan had more talent around them.

Even though I hate how LJ announced his decision, I do not blame him for leaving.