Do you guys honestly think we can contend with Jenkins as our #2

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

to answer your question yea we can, but could we do better? yes we could, i mean even if ppl double roddy, or gonzo, we have a reliable third option if HD comes back healthy, then jenks can be that 4th option, but i would like an upgrade at that position for a year (hint hint) until HD get back to form to take over....

Our Offense was nearly decimated last season, the Eagles, Pats, and Jets games were the only games we scored 10 or less. 3 really good Defenses. The Eagles game was an aberration due to Ryan and Turner being out, we were robbed a TD by Jenks against the Pats, and Ryan was coming back from turf-toe against the Jets,best D in the league, and we pulled that one out in the clutch.

We can put 20-30 points on any team in the league. Our Offense will be healthier, deeper, more experienced. Our D is the concern, we have to keep teams under 20 points or we are toast.

Our Offense was definitely not firing on all cylinders, but our D until the end of the season had thrown a rod.

Jenks, while solid, has definitely not lived up to a first round pick status, but our fate lies with our pass-rush and our secondary. Depending on the Status of our OL play and how Jenks plays, this season, we might have the luxury of getting a #2 receiver early in the draft next season. We should be fine on O this year.

We have a run first system and he is a big body that can block. He hasn't lived up to his first round status and dropped that touchdown against the giants last year but I like him. He is a high character guy who isnt flashy or anything but shows up to work everyday and I think Matt Ryan has kinda developed favorites so his first read is either Roddy or Tony and most of the time one of them is open which doesnt leave many balls for Jenks. I remember watching the Tampa Bay game last year and when Ryan got hurt and Redman came in Jenks caught like 3 or 4 passes right in a row or something and I remember thinking I wonder if he is open a lot more often and Ryan just doesnt ever look his direction. Granted it was against Tampa Bay

We have a run first system and he is a big body that can block. He hasn't lived up to his first round status and dropped that touchdown against the giants last year but I like him. He is a high character guy who isnt flashy or anything but shows up to work everyday and I think Matt Ryan has kinda developed favorites so his first read is either Roddy or Tony and most of the time one of them is open which doesnt leave many balls for Jenks. I remember watching the Tampa Bay game last year and when Ryan got hurt and Redman came in Jenks caught like 3 or 4 passes right in a row or something and I remember thinking I wonder if he is open a lot more often and Ryan just doesnt ever look his direction. Granted it was against Tampa Bay

He catches a low percentage of passes thrown his way and dropped way too many key passes. He also had a decent game after that drop against the Giants, but that still doesn't change the fact that he underperformed grossly last year.

We have to remember another reason he is out there is his ability to help out in the run game and block. I like him because he is a big target but I wish he would catch a few more td's to help the team out. I can live with him for now but I also can see the Falcons adding a wr high in the draft next year. It still would of been sweet if we could of landed Boldin to go along with White.

Edited by bigdogg2277

So other teams are gonna double Roddy double Gonzo double Norwood leaving us with HD and Jenks in single coverage or possibly one of the others in single coverage, I could handle that we could be in a much worse position than we are

Problem is, he can't even get open in single coverage ....helll, he is ALWAYS in single coverage, Mike Jenkins helps opposing D coordinaters sleep good at night, nobody is worrying too much about him ........

Jenkins is fine as a #2 WR. He has averaged 51 catches the last 3 seasons. His two seasons with Ryan he has had exactly 50 RECs. So clearly Ryan doesn't have favorites because if he did he probably wouldn't have thrown about 3 INTs cuz he wouldn't have been looking for Jenkins. Jenkins just didn't make things happen when he caught the ball or didn't make the big plays when we went to him for them.

As a 3rd option in our offense 50 catches is ideal. He just has to become more reliable in 1v1 matchups and crucial situations. If he makes defenses at least account for him that will open things up in the middle for Ryan to carve up all game until they forget about Roddy and.... oops... TOUCHDOWN!

Lol Jenkins is fine for our system.

Jenkins is the best blocker we have and he's fast. He's not the greatest route runner and he has problems concentrating on the catch at times resulting in dropped balls where you wouldn't expect it. On the other hand, he's made some pretty amazing catches and is a huge asset in our run game.

Last year our biggest problems occurred when Ryan and/or Turner were not in the game.

For the 2009 season:

Our Defense gave up an avg 20.3 pts per game.

Our offense:

All Games, avg 22.8 pts per game. Diff = +2.8 pts

Ryan led games, avg 24.1 pts per game. Diff = +3.8 pts

Games w/Turner, avg 24.1 pts per game. Diff = +3.8 pts

Games w/Both, avg 25.3 pts per game. Diff = +5.0 pts

In 2008 with both players healthy all year - offense avg 24.4 pts per game, while our D gave up 20.3 pts per game and we won 11 games.

Another big issue has been time of possession. Our D has not been able to stop teams on 3rd down - and we suffer from it. In 2008, our time of possession was 31.10 to 29.30 for the opponent. In 2009, our time of possession was 29.53 to 30.20. We need to get the ball to our offense and keep the other team off the field. Since we obviously score more than the opponent on an average basis - it's vital to get the ball to the offense more to raise that average.

As for receivers, we currently carry 11 wide receivers and 5 tight ends on our roster. That's 16 guys showing on the roster right now.

Taking a closer look at our current roster of receivers, we know that Roddy is #1. That leaves 10 guys in the WR position to duke it out for the #2 spot - but who has a chance?

Current #2:

Michael Jenkins (7th yr 6-4 215 lbs) Avg 67.1 rec, 849 yd, 5.3 TD per yr

(Note - Jenks has missed quite a few starts in his time here - I removed the first yr stats because he had 0 starts - then took his total starts of 55 - divided by 16 to give avg based on 3.4 yrs for the stats. This gives a clearer picture of his production when playing)

The Pros who have suffered injuries:

Brian Finneran (10th yr 6-5 206 lb) Avg 91 rec, 1237 yd, 6.9 TD per yr

(Note - Finn has missed even more starts from injury - I removed first year stats with 0 starts - then took his total starts of 37 and divided by 16 to give avg based on 2.3 yrs for the stats)

Harry Douglas (3rd yr 6-0 182 lb) 23 rec, 320 yd, 2 TD in rookie year - missed 2009 inj

The rest of the Pros:

Troy Bergeron (2nd yr 6-2 198 lb)

(1st yr spent on practice squad and being cut and resigned - before that he played Arena football and practice squads - no real NFL or college stats to show)

Eric Weems (3rd yr 5-9 191 lb) Avg 47 rec, 628 yd, 4.3 TD per yr 3 yr Bethune-Cookman

(Mostly used for returns - no starts in NFL - showing College stats. I want to note that his last year of college he played the most with 69 rec, 918 yds, 9 TD)

The Rookies:

Kerry Meier (Rookie 6-2 224 lbs) Avg 99.5 rec, 1015 yd, 8 TD per yr last 2yr Kansas

Ryan Wolfe (Rookie 6-2 210lbs) Avg 71 rec, 874yd, 4 TD per yr in 4 yr UNLV -

Brandyn Harvey (Rookie 6-4 205lbs) Avg 40 rec, 560yd, 3.7 TD per yr in last 3 yr Villa

Tim Buckley (Rookie 6-1 185 lbs) Played QB- Avg 1936yd,14 TD per yr last 2yr Alc St

Andy Strickland (Rookie 6-0 187 lbs) Avg 32 rec, 628yd, 6 TD per yr last 2yr Wofford

We have some potential at the rookie level - let's see how it plays out. I personally thought Marty Booker did a good job on 3rd downs last year - he's a FA now and at 33 will likely still be there if we needed him.

There will be other FA options out there - but maybe they are waiting to see how it plays out during TC and preseason. One of those 6 rookies may step up and shine, Harry may be progressing better than expected and we'll get an idea of which Jenks will show up.

All the teams are gonna do is guard Roddy and a declining Gonzo and fill up the box and make the worse starting WR in the league beat you. I mean Jenkins would make for a good #4 but with Harry definitely not 100% we need some help.

The defense you speak of doesnt exist. You cant stack the box, double Roddy, and double Gonzo. If you double Roddy and Gonzo, you only half 7 defensive players left. If you put one on Jenkins, that means you have 6 left. Turner will destroy 6 in the box. If you are talking about going man on Roddy and Gonzo to stack the box with 8, then there are very few corners in the league that can cover Roddy on an island, and there are no LBers that can cover Gonzo man up. Your logic makes no sense. I wish you were the DC we played against every week.

All the teams are gonna do is guard Roddy and a declining Gonzo and fill up the box and make the worse starting WR in the league beat you. I mean Jenkins would make for a good #4 but with Harry definitely not 100% we need some help.

Worst starting wide receiver? Can you back that up with stats?

The worst starting WR in the league? Are you serious? I really wish some of you would take a look at the numbers before you start declaring things. Jenkins is around middle of the pack when you compare him to other # 2 WR's in the league. He is not even our 2nd option, he is our # 2 WR....

To answer your question... YES

It aint that serious people. Jenkins can be upgraded but the dude aint terrible. Jenkins production or lack of production is probably not going to hurt us to that extent. The Oline's play and health is much more of a factor, the production/health of Turner is much more a factor, Ryan development as a third year starting QB is much more of a factor. OUr defense not being 28th in the league in passing is much more a factor. If we improve on those areas we will contend regardless of how many Catches and TD Jenkins puts up. Ryan and Turner and the Oline are the Key.

Worst starting wide receiver? Can you back that up with stats?

Hey, where'd he go?

If TG is declining then who the heck was I watching last year?

:rolleyes:

Ultimately, this season begins and ends with Turner. He has a great season and stays healthy, our offense will be better than it was in 2008. Much better. It won't take a Jenkins lighting it up to have a good offense. With Turner beating it opens up so much for the passing game. Jenks, who will be improved, just has to go out there and do his job. He doesn't have to go out there and do his best Roddy impression. Let Turner open things up, and the rest will fall into place.