AJ Green on TMZ - NCAA doing an inquiry at UGA.

Hatch

tmz is just piggybacking the ajc who reported the inquiry first.. uga coaches already talked to aj green about this when this all started to first come out..

Hey Sac,

Talk to me man.

How serious do you think this is?

Should we be concerned?

We don't need this kind of distraction with the kind of off-season we have already had.

Hey Sac,

Talk to me man.

How serious do you think this is?

Should we be concerned?

We don't need this kind of distraction with the kind of off-season we have already had.

for any school you don't want the ncaa on campus, but no I am not too concerned. aj green was asked about this before they even got the call. the ncaa wants to come on campus and talk with aj green which is fine. they wouldn't do an inquiry with aj green over the phone. they would want to come on campus and meet with him even if he wasn't involved in this just because he is a top 5 pick in the upcoming draft and they want to make sure he wasn't part of this. i do find it interesting how all this is coming down on sec media days. lol

NCAA to conduct inquiry on Georgia campus

ATLANTA (AP)—Georgia associate athletic director Claude Felton says the NCAA has requested permission to conduct an inquiry on campus.

Felton says Georgia officials assured the NCAA it will receive full cooperation. He says the NCAA has asked that athletic association officials, coaches and student-athletes decline comment until the inquiry is completed.

Felton says the notification from the NCAA came late Wednesday afternoon. He tells The Associated Press the instructions from the NCAA prevent him from disclosing any details about the reason for the inquiry.

The inquiry comes as three SEC teams—Florida, Alabama and South Carolina— are investigating allegations involving improper contact with an agent.

Being reported on SI.com now:

Cnnsi.com

The NCAA has informed Georgia that it will come to campus to interview a football player or players in connection with the ongoing agent investigation that already prompted visits to North Carolina and South Carolina. Georgia athletic department spokesman Claude Felton confirmed early Wednesday evening that Georgia compliance officials received notification from the NCAA late Wednesday afternoon.

Felton said Georgia officials had promised the NCAA that no one would comment on the contents of the investigation. A source said one potential interview subject is junior receiver A.J. Green, but if enforcement officials plan to ask Green about the now-infamous party in Miami Beach, Fla., on Memorial Day weekend that prompted the inquiries at North Carolina and South Carolina and an internal investigation at Alabama, they won't learn much.

Reached by phone Tuesday night -- almost a day before the NCAA contacted Georgia -- Green told SI.com that he did not attend the party. Green, who is considered on of the nation's best receivers, said a Georgia compliance official asked him Tuesday if he attended the party. Green said he spent Memorial Day weekend at home in Summerville, S.C.

"I never went to South Beach," Green told SI.com.

Earlier Tuesday, ESPN.com reported that Alabama officials are investigating rumors that defensive end Marcell Dareus attended the party. NCAA officials have interviewed several North Carolina players as well as South Carolina tight end Weslye Saunders. Investigators are trying to determine whether agents or financial advisors paid for the party. If someone other than the players footed the bill, any player who attended would be found to have accepted improper benefits and could be ruled ineligible to play for part or all of the 2010 season.

One piece of evidence in the NCAA's arsenal is a Twitter message sent by North Carolina defensive tackle Marvin Austin at 3:07 a.m. on May 29. "I live In club LIV so I get the tenant rate...bottles comin like its a giveaway," Austin wrote. LIV is a 30,000-square-foot club located in the Fontainbleau hotel in Miami Beach. Its Web site claims the club "offers its guests the definitive Miami nightlife experience." Austin's tweet quotes lyrics from a song by rapper Rick Ross.

The NCAA's investigation into the South Beach party appears to be separate from the investigation into an accusation that former Florida center Maurkice Pouncey accepted money from an agent or a runner in December 2009. Pouncey denied the allegation on Wednesday. University of Florida police Capt. Jeff Holcomb confirmed Tuesday that his department is investigating that accusation to determine whether someone broke one of Florida's laws governing agent conduct. An agent or runner found to have paid a college player can be charged with a felony. In an e-mail, Holcomb wrote that he could not comment on an open investigation.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/07/21/georgia.investigation/index.html#?eref=sihp#ixzz0uPz2R3gb

The NCAA certainly seems to be making this their new pet project, but I'm not sure how much it will accomplish. Sure they can punish the players and the programs, but until something is done to the agents this will continue. Unfortunately, the NCAA has no authority or influence over agents. They are going to need help from the NFLPA.

still no news eh? I am not so worried about AJ but I wonder who else they plan on talking to. Maybe boykin or houston...or the kickers but I really don't think they are high profile enough to be invited to south beach. Maybe boling or jones. I coulkd see them getting buck wild in miami ripping up handfuls of sand and taking a bite yelling "we run this state!" Hopefully not though.

Not really a big update, just an fyi.

NCAA notice to UGA: One player under scrutiny

2:33 pm July 26, 2010, by Tim Tucker

The NCAA has informed the University of Georgia that investigators want to interview one UGA student-athlete “to determine [h]is knowledge of or involvement in, directly or indirectly, any violations of NCAA legislation,” according to a document obtained this afternoon by the AJC.

The document, obtained under Georgia’s Open Records Act, is an e-mail from NCAA Assistant Director of Agent, Gambling and Amateurism Marcus M. Wilson to UGA Assistant Athletic Director of Compliance Eric Baumgartner.

Georgia redacted the name of the student-athlete from the document before releasing it to the AJC.

UGA said it redacted the name because of a federal student privacy law. UGA said the NCAA has asked to speak to only one Georgia athlete.

The e-mail from Wilson to Baumgartner, sent at 4:11 p.m. on Wednesday, almost immediately after the NCAA informed UGA by phone of the impending investigation, states that the student-athlete “may have legal counsel present during the interview.”

“In order to protect the integrity of the investigation, please refrain from disclosing the details of the investigation as we discussed with anyone except your athletic director and/or president,” Wilson wrote to Baumgartner. “Should you decide to speak with them, please inform them of the necessity of protecting the integrity of the investigation as well.”

This makes me feel a little better. As you said anytime the NCAA is snooping around its not a good thing but atleast we can assume its AJ. I just hope when its over they will release a statment saying he is clean of any wrongdoing since they have caused his name to be dragged through the mud with all this. Ill be holding my breath...

Edited by jtcrews75