Does everyone still believe in our D Line?

Nono

I read where Peria Jerry may be ready for the opener maybe not and with Babs facing a possible suspension this changes things a lot---doesn't this set of a small alarm with this board? I mean I have read all the stuff about how Kroy will see more time and accel, but Trey Lewis hasn't shown much and JA98 is pretty beat up on these boards for good reasons.

I think we may have made a draft mistake or perhaps we should have looked more seriously at a FA (not Haynesworth) I would given up a lot for Vanden Bosch and knew it at the time.

If we don't go to an attack style D with a lot more LB and corner blitzes we could be in a long year on the D line IMHO

Guest Gritz

I think that all of the concerns that you listed are valid ones......but at the end of the day I believe that Thomas Dimitroff is a very talented young general manager with an excellent pedigree.

If things were truly as dire and desperate as the potential scenario you painted in your post I believe that more sweeping and immediate moves would have been made.

In short, for the first time I can remember as a lifelong Falcon fan, I have faith in our front office.

Vanden Bosch hasn't really done anything the last couple of years. I do feel a bit alarmed at DT but Thomas Johnson and Walker did a pretty decent job at DT. So even if Jerry doesn't come back strong and Babs gets suspended, we still have Johnson, Walker, and Peters. Plus Jamaal Anderson in certain situations and personally I think Trey Lewis won't make final roster.

I think that all of the concerns that you listed are valid ones......but at the end of the day I believe that Thomas Dimitroff is a very talented young general manager with an excellent pedigree.

If things were truly as dire and desperate as the potential scenario you painted in your post I believe that more sweeping and immediate moves would have been made.

In short, for the first time I can remember as a lifelong Falcon fan, I have faith in our front office.

In TD we trust----and I hope I am just blowing smoke but I can't tell you how angry I got watching every opposing QB eat a ham sandwich last year in the pocket. A of of folks on this board were convinced we were going DE by trading up to the 2nd---I hope your right Gritz

Edited by Nono

Vanden Bosch hasn't really done anything the last couple of years. I do feel a bit alarmed at DT but Thomas Johnson and Walker did a pretty decent job at DT. So even if Jerry doesn't come back strong and Babs gets suspended, we still have Johnson, Walker, and Peters. Plus Jamaal Anderson in certain situations and personally I think Trey Lewis won't make final roster.

Other offenses would be licking thier chops if that was our line. ^^

Remember last year how our D made the weakest QBs look like pro-bowlers? yeah, i havnt forgotten.

Anyone who is not frightened by that scenario needs to lay off the kool-aid.

Remember last year how our D made the weakest QBs look like pro-bowlers? yeah, i havnt forgotten.

EXACTLY! and we did nothing to help ourselves---in fact you could say we are going into the season worse off than we were last year on the D line

Don't give me the Corey Peters will save the day routine

Guest Gritz

In TD we trust----and I hope I am just blowing smoke but I can't tell you how angry I got watching every opposing QB eat a ham sandwich last year in the pocket. A of of folks on this board were convinced we were going DE by trading up to the 2nd---I hope your right Gritz

Oh, I hear ya brother.......and I do have concerns. The Pats and Cowboys game in particular bothered me. Brady and Romo had enough time in the pocket to catch up on their correspondence and do some light reading.

If we don't do better than that this year we will struggle to have a winning record.

Abe bounces back and Biermann breaks out....Babs get a 2 game suspension, Peters, Jerry, Walker and Johnson take up the slack.

I think we're going to be okay.....

But I'm not resting easy about it....... ;)

Thomas Johnson was a starter last year. The fact that he is now just a rotational guy for us is pretty good. But I agree he is pretty weak for a starter. Walker played great for where he was drafted although I really wouldn't praise him as much as most of the people on these boards do. I don't expect Peters to be a 3rd round good although I certainly hope he is, but I expect him to at least play as good as Walker did last year. And finally, Jamaal Anderson actually played very good at DT last year. He is a good situational guy. That isn't to terrible of a 4 DT rotation. Actually to be honest, it is certainly not a playoff defensive line but I am optimistic that Jerry will play good, even if he doesn't play as good as last year when he was taking on all the double teams, and Babs will only get a small suspension if any at all.

If we need to, we can keep Lewis for run situations although i'd rather cut him to free up another roster spot.

Oh and TJ Jackson, bring him home TD.

Its not a stretch to suggest that most of us on these boards have some healthy reservations about our D-line situation. Seems like if everyone was healthy at one time and babs was cleared, then we could potentially refer to this position as loaded. The most painful part for all of our mutual concern is the guesswork here. This "wait & see" thing is going to drive us all insane. Isn't it nice knowing that our Dline talent this year may fall anywhere along the full spectrum from "weak" to "strong" as a collective unit?? Another few months of this and just look for the guy who wanders the neighborhood mumbling to himself... that'll be me... bring on the 2010 season already!!

Our D-line only allowed a 3.9 ypc average last year. One of the best in the league. I'm not worried about that part of the line.

Our pass rush is more of a concern but I think it will be better than last year.

I agree sort of on the run stop---but how are we going to be better? I mean same players, Peria not 100% and a rookie---help me I want to believe our D line will be a force--please

Edited by Nono

The simple fact that our secondary & pass coverage will have significantly improved over last year is going to cause QB's to hold on to the ball longer because receivers will be covered up much more often. And we may have been 28th in pass rush but we were around top 5 in QB pressures & hits. QB's holding the ball a little longer will result in some of those pressures turning into sacks.

On top of that, Yasinskas reported that he spoke to an unnamed Falcons official who told him Jerry's knee surgery was a success & he will be participating in training camp on day 1 just with the usual bit of caution & slightly more rest that comes with monitoring recovering injuries. But it sounds like he's ready to go as their plan is for Jerry to start game 1.

As for Babs, he plead no contest, only got probation & no formal charges to his record. Goodell's only gonna give him 2 game suspension, you'll see. And they're not going to pay some FA $2-3 million to come fill in for 2 games & later bump one of these young guys off the 53. Not gonna happen.

Johnson, Walker, & Lewis will be outstanding rotational depth considering each of them got loads of playtime last year & will only be better this year for it. JA98 adding 15-20 lbs, with his size & speed might surprise us all at DT too. And Peters was drafted for a reason. Just because he's a rookie doesn't mean he's going to suck & be a weak spot if he plays. He dominated in the SEC vs. guys the same size as he'll face in the NFL. He doesn't need to even get sacks, all he has to do is get pressure be a threat enough that our DE's aren't double-teamed every down like last year. Heck even JA98 can do that with the QB's stuck holding the ball longer.

You negative nancy's need to quit with this constant undue panic & cry for FA help. We are set. We have a TEAM. And a crazy amount of quality depth everywhere. And I'll bet dollars to donuts our FO agrees & they don't make another single move for an FA anywhere.

Edited by Beef Jerky

I agree sort of on the run stop---but how are we going to be better? I mean same players, Peria not 100% and a rookie---help me I want to believe our D line will be a force--please

For one thing, we don't play the NFC East and AFC East this year. We have a much easier schedule. The NFC West has horrible QBs. The AFC North has two ok QBs, a crappy QB, and a suspended QB.

Plus they have some bad Olines there. No facing the Pat's great pass blocking.

I agree. I think if there were real cause for concern, our FO would be out working and we would have seen a signing or two by now.

The simple fact that our secondary & pass coverage will have significantly improved over last year is going to cause QB's to hold on to the ball longer because receivers will be covered up much more often. And we may have been 28th in pass rush but we were around top 5 in QB pressures & hits. QB's holding the ball a little longer will result in some of those pressures turning into sacks.

On top of that, Yasinskas reported that he spoke to an unnamed Falcons official who told him Jerry's knee surgery was a success & he will be participating in training camp on day 1 just with the usual bit of caution & slightly more rest that comes with monitoring recovering injuries. But it sounds like he's ready to go as their plan is for Jerry to start game 1.

As for Babs, he plead no contest, only got probation & no formal charges to his record. Goodell's only gonna give him 2 game suspension, you'll see. And they're not going to pay some FA $2-3 million to come fill in for 2 games & later bump one of these young guys off the 53. Not gonna happen.

Johnson, Walker, & Lewis will be outstanding rotational depth considering each of them got loads of playtime last year & will only be better this year for it. JA98 adding 15-20 lbs, with his size & speed might surprise us all at DT too. And Peters was drafted for a reason. Just because he's a rookie doesn't mean he's going to suck & be a weak spot if he plays. He dominated in the SEC vs. guys the same size as he'll face in the NFL. He doesn't need to even get sacks, all he has to do is get pressure be a threat enough that our DE's aren't double-teamed every down like last year. Heck even JA98 can do that with the QB's stuck holding the ball longer.

You negative nancy's need to quit with this constant undue panic & cry for FA help. We are set. We have a TEAM. And a crazy amount of quality depth everywhere. And I'll bet dollars to donuts our FO agrees & they don't make another single move for an FA anywhere.

What he said! Great post! +10

EXACTLY! and we did nothing to help ourselves---in fact you could say we are going into the season worse off than we were last year on the D line

Don't give me the Corey Peters will save the day routine

How can yo say we're going into the season worse off than last year? Last year we went into the season with Bab's and a rook, looks like we might go into this season with Bab's and that same rook, = push.

If PJ doesn't come back 100%, TJ was a first year starter and will be better this year. Walker didn't even play until the second half of the season and got better every game, he'll be better too. Peters is a better DT than Walker was coming into the NFL, so he's a upgrade from last year too.

Any way you dice it our line is better than last year.

Would I like to see Jerry play some preseason. Yes.

Do I trust the front office. Yes.

Am I worried? Well, no and yes. Our first game ain't a cakewalk, so we will need Jerry ready to go. But if he isn't, then he isn't. Injuries are a huge part of football. We need to get the other guys ready to go for that first game. We have a ton of depth at that position, a lot of guys who have potential. We may need them to put up or shut up. And we may need other players in other places to step up. Football is the ultimate team game.

So..yeah. We need to get it done with or without jerry.

Pass rush yep it was missing last year no doubt but our run stopping improved as the season went on our secondary will be stronger this year and with PJ back at full speed Babs Walker and co you really have to be positive about the upcoming season because I certainly am.