Coach Dan Mullen has a rebuttal for a Nick Saban comment.

SacFalcFan

I love sec media days. You never know what you are going to hear.

Dan Mullen was asked about Saban saying that the spread is difficult in developing players for the NFL: "I don't know his record, but I know I have had more QBs drafted in the first round than he has."

He added to that saying it was not true.

Dan Mullen was asked about Saban saying that the spread is difficult in developing players for the NFL: "I don't know his record, but I know I have had more QBs drafted in the first round than he has."

How many qb's has Mullen had who were picked in the 1st round? I know he was at UF while Tebow was there, but who else has he coached?

Alex Smith at Utah.

Name QB that Saban send in first round.

Might I add Dan Mullen is a QB coach and he can coach the heck out of the position. He has a couple of solid prospect to coach in Dylan Farve and Tyler Russell. Possibly put them into the first round.

Edited by Atlanta_Dawgs46

So Mullen takes credit for sending Tebow into the NFL as a quarterback? First of all, Mullen has never been a head coach of a school that sent a first rounder into the NFL and was not Tim Tebow's coach at all during his final season. With that said, the spread (for the most part) is what created the doubt that caused 31 other teams to pass on Tebow as a First Round Quarterback. Everyone was unsure whether Tebow could adapt to a pro-style offense.

I would also add that Saban commented to the difficulty of evaluating an offensive lineman who played in the spread. I think the critique is valid for any offensive player in the spread because you are having to project the kid playing in a pro-style offense. It is the same deal with projecting Georgia Tech's players who have played their college ball running the triple option, which is also not used in the NFL. I will say this though -- as NFL teams adapt more and more spread into their attack (which could happen), the evaluation process becomes much easier for NFL scouts.

Alex Smith at Utah.

Name QB that Saban send in first round.

Might I add Dan Mullen is a QB coach and he can coach the heck out of the position. He has a couple of solid prospect to coach in Dylan Farve and Tyler Russell. Possibly put them into the first round.

Alex Smith did go in the first round but it was soon very obvious that he wasn't very prepared for the next level. He is barely hanging on to his last chance at this point. Dont get me wrong, I think Mullen is a very good College QB coach and up and coming head coach but the that doesnt mean he prepares QB's well for the next level. This isnt about Saban or Mullen IMO its about which System better prepares a QB for the next level and there is no doubt a prostyle system is far better than a spread in preparing QBs for the NFL at this point.

Alex Smith did go in the first round but it was soon very obvious that he wasn't very prepared for the next level. He is barely hanging on to his last chance at this point. Dont get me wrong, I think Mullen is a very good College QB coach and up and coming head coach but the that doesnt mean he prepares QB's well for the next level. This isnt about Saban or Mullen IMO its about which System better prepares a QB for the next level and there is no doubt a prostyle system is far better than a spread in preparing QBs for the NFL at this point.

it's a lot about mullen. I love Dan Mullen and him not willing to let that stuff go by without speaking his mind on a subject. He won't let just being a new head coach in the SEC to stop him from publicly saying another head coach is wrong especially when it's clearly a highly debated topic.

it's a lot about mullen. I love Dan Mullen and him not willing to let that stuff go by without speaking his mind on a subject. He won't let just being a new head coach in the SEC to stop him from publicly saying another head coach is wrong especially when it's clearly a highly debated topic.

It is a highly debated topic thats for sure. I dont blame Mullen for his comments and there are exceptions but in general IMO there is no contest between which system helps better prepare a QB for the next level.

It is a highly debated topic thats for sure. I dont blame Mullen for his comments and there are exceptions but in general IMO there is no contest between which system helps better prepare a QB for the next level.

Yeah, to be clear, I have no problem with Mullen speaking up because, if the comment is accurate, it is a huge disadvantage for him and the other coaches who run the spread in convincing these high school athletes to come to their school. With that said, I stand by Saban's opinion, which was echoed by several NFL teams at the last draft with respect to Tebow and others, that it is a much easier evaluation for NFL teams when looking at a kid who played in a pro-style offense.

Yeah, to be clear, I have no problem with Mullen speaking up because, if the comment is accurate, it is a huge disadvantage for him and the other coaches who run the spread in convincing these high school athletes to come to their school. With that said, I stand by Saban's opinion, which was echoed by several NFL teams at the last draft with respect to Tebow and others, that it is a much easier evaluation for NFL teams when looking at a kid who played in a pro-style offense.

I agree 100%.