Reginald disowned...

ki46dinah

Disowned

Reggie Bush rushed for 3,169 yards during three seasons at USC, helped the Trojans claim the 2004 BCS national championship and won the 2005 Heisman Trophy as college football's best player.

After the NCAA heavily sanctioned the school for Bush's reported dealings with prospective agents, USC is trying to erase the running back from its past.

USC president-elect Max Nikias announced Tuesday in a letter addressed to "Members of the USC Trojan Family" that the school will return its copy of Bush's award to the Heisman Trophy Trust and remove "all jerseys and murals" that recognize the running back's college career by mid-August.

Former USC basketball player O.J. Mayo, the other major figure in the four-year NCAA investigation, will be treated in the same manner, according to Nikias.

"The Trojan Family honors and respects the USC sporting careers of those persons whose actions did not compromise their athletic program or the opportunities of future USC student-athletes," he wrote.

Bush's trophy has been on display in USC's Heritage Hall, alongside copies of the Heismans won by former Trojans standouts Mike Garrett, O.J. Simpson, Matt Leinart, Carson Palmer, Charles White and Marcus Allen. It isn't known if the Heisman Trophy Trust offically will strip Bush of the 2005 award.

Nikias also announced that former USC quarterback Pat Haden will replace Garrett as the school's athletic director, effective Aug. 3. Haden played with the then-Los Angeles Rams from 1976 to 1981 and made the Pro Bowl in the 1977 season.

Haden, a respected member of USC's board of trustees, is firmly ensconced in Trojan lore. In 1974, he led a 55-24 victory over Notre Dame still known at the school as "The Comeback," and his final-minutes heroics in the 1975 Rose Bowl -- a touchdown pass and a two-point conversion pass -- gave USC an 18-17 victory over Ohio State.

The NCAA's report, released June 10, concluded that Bush and his family accepted improper benefits from marketing agents while he played for USC.

As a result, the NCAA ruled that USC would have to vacate victories from late 2004 through the 2005 season, a period that included the Trojans' national title victory over Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl in January 2005. USC also was penalized with a two-year bowl ban and a loss of 30 scholarships over a three-year period.

Bush, who now plays for the New Orleans Saints, didn't admit any wrongdoing in public comments last month, but he expressed regret over the situation.

"This thing, regarding USC and the NCAA, is the closest thing to death without dying because I have such a great love and respect for the university," Bush said. "This has been one the toughest things I've had to deal with in my life."

Pete Carroll, who went 97-19 with two national titles in nine years as the Trojans' coach, has denied any knowledge of Bush's dealings with agents. He left USC in January to return to the NFL and coach the Seattle Seahawks.

"I do feel responsible being connected with it," Carroll said of USC's troubles. "I've also felt a responsibility, with the way it's come down, to work to try to get the message out there and defend somewhat."

USC appealed some of the sanctions June 25, seeking to cut in half its bowl ban and scholarship restrictions. A ruling on the appeal isn't likely until several months into 2011, and the Trojans already agreed to serve a bowl ban in the upcoming season.

AP

-------------------

A little surprised...but its the kids/staff there that have to suffer now.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

If I was him I'd just blame it on the Kardashian's.

I do feel for the poor guy. To have your alma mater erase you like that must really cast a pall over your entire career. Gotta play by the rules though.

He does play for the Saints...................at least he's not dealing illegal prescription drugs.;)

THIS THREAD WAS POSTED AT 7:15PM ON JULY 20, 2010. ITS ONLY ABOUT 3 HOURS OLD, BUT I FIND IT STRANGE NO SAINTS HAVE MADE A REPLY. BASICALLY THE ARTICLE MEANS NOTHING TO ME. I JUST FIND IT STRANGE HOW THEY ARE LETTING THIS ONE FLOAT BY. I'M SURE THEY'VE LOOKED AT IT. USUALLY AND ESPECIALLY IF ITS SAINTS RELATED,

THEY JUMP ON IT LIKE A FLY ON SUGAR. MAYBE THEY NEED TIME TO CONFER TOGETHER TO SEE HOW THEY SHOULD ADDRESS THIS THREAD. DON'T TAKE TOO LONG GUYS ..... WE'RE WATCHING!! :ph34r:

THIS THREAD WAS POSTED AT 7:15PM ON JULY 20, 2010. ITS ONLY ABOUT 3 HOURS OLD, BUT I FIND IT STRANGE NO SAINTS HAVE MADE A REPLY. BASICALLY THE ARTICLE MEANS NOTHING TO ME. I JUST FIND IT STRANGE HOW THEY ARE LETTING THIS ONE FLOAT BY. I'M SURE THEY'VE LOOKED AT IT. USUALLY AND ESPECIALLY IF ITS SAINTS RELATED,

THEY JUMP ON IT LIKE A FLY ON SUGAR. MAYBE THEY NEED TIME TO CONFER TOGETHER TO SEE HOW THEY SHOULD ADDRESS THIS THREAD. DON'T TAKE TOO LONG GUYS ..... WE'RE WATCHING!! ph34r.gif

How much does this have to do with the Saints really? Sure, it's about a Saints player, but this is much more about Reggie Bush and USC rather than Reggie Bush and the Saints.

As long as someone doesn't take the Lombardi and his ring, then I really could careless.

How much does this have to do with the Saints really? Sure, it's about a Saints player, but this is much more about Reggie Bush and USC rather than Reggie Bush and the Saints.

As long as someone doesn't take the Lombardi and his ring, then I really could careless.

Of course you dont care... integrity doesnt matter does it?

DOnt care if your players have cheated in the past or broken the rules do ya?

dont try turning it on me i got no love for babs at all.

A LOT OF STUFF DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE SAINTS .....

BUT YOU WEIGH IN ON IT ANY HOW. WHAT I'M SAYING IS, "WHY GET

SHY NOW?" IT MEANS EVEN LESS TO ME, I DID NOT MAKE THE THREAD.

I ONLY COMMENTED ON THE LACK OF SAINT RESPONSE. DON'T RESPOND

TO ME NOLA ..... JUMP ON THE ARTICLE. AIN'T FUNNY NOW, IS IT?

ANYTIME A FALCON PLAYER IS INVOLVED IN ANYTHING "NEGATIVE", A LOT OF SAINTS

FANS (NOT ALL), AND OTHERS SHOVE IT RIGHT BACK IN OUR FACES. I AIN'T SHOVING

THIS IN SAINT FACES. I ALWAYS LIKED REGGIE, I ALWAYS STOOD UP FOR REGGIE WHEN

I THOUGHT SOME FALCONS WERE OVERLY BEATING HIM DOWN.

NEGATIVE STUFF ... CAN HAPPEN TO ANYBODY .... EVEN A SAINT! ITS NOT GOOD TO

THROW TOO MANY ROCKS. PEOPLE HAVE LONG MEMORIES, AND THE FIRST CHANCE THEY

GET, THEY'LL RETURN THE FAVOR. NEGATIVE STUFF IS DONE BY ALL OF US. A LOT

OF IT WHEN WE ARE YOUNG AND DON'T THINK ABOUT CONSEQUENCES. THE STUFF WE DO

IN OUR YOUTH, HAS A WAY OF COMING BACK TO STONE US, WHEN WE GET OLDER.

ANYTIME A FALCON PLAYER IS INVOLVED IN ANYTHING "NEGATIVE", A LOT OF SAINTS

FANS (NOT ALL), AND OTHERS SHOVE IT RIGHT BACK IN OUR FACES. I AIN'T SHOVING

THIS IN SAINT FACES. I ALWAYS LIKED REGGIE, I ALWAYS STOOD UP FOR REGGIE WHEN

I THOUGHT SOME FALCONS WERE OVERLY BEATING HIM DOWN.

NEGATIVE STUFF ... CAN HAPPEN TO ANYBODY .... EVEN A SAINT! ITS NOT GOOD TO

THROW TOO MANY ROCKS. PEOPLE HAVE LONG MEMORIES, AND THE FIRST CHANCE THEY

GET, THEY'LL RETURN THE FAVOR. NEGATIVE STUFF IS DONE BY ALL OF US. A LOT

OF IT WHEN WE ARE YOUNG AND DON'T THINK ABOUT CONSEQUENCES. THE STUFF WE DO

IN OUR YOUTH, HAS A WAY OF COMING BACK TO STONE US, WHEN WE GET OLDER.

Amen,Rev

I'm not so sure any NFL team would have had knowledge of this issue back in the draft of 2006. But I do think what Reggie Bush did was wrong.

The rules are the rules, and no player should be above those rules. If he did what is being widely reported, he was wrong and deserves the treatment he is getting from USC.

As a professional player, I doubt this will have much impact. Other players are going to be forgiving because they tend to support eachother. It does leave an "*" next to Bush's overall legacy, whatever it may be once he hangs the cleats up.

Now that said, I hope he continues to develop as a professional.

Another thing to consider on this topic is this.....

Football games are won and lost on the field, and that doesn't change no matter what "gift" Bush accepted off the field as a college student.

Again, I am not condoning what he's likely done wrong, but his collegiate records were not the rusult of an automobile being offered to drive when playing at USC.

I really could care less what Reggie Bust does or doesn't do off the football field REV2. My whole negativity philosophy revolves around his play on the field or lack thereof... :rolleyes::D

You might wanna give the Cardinals a call and ask how they feel about Bush's play in the divisional round of the 2009 playoffs......just saying.

Your delusional if you think Reggie Bush is the only college athlete to ever accept gifts.

I may have to throw up after typing this...

How can anyone fault Bush? He was a young kid being treated like a movie star because of his play on the field. Someone shows up and tells him he can live like a star too. Here's a nice condo and a new car. What do you expect? It was not like he was selling crack or "servicing" hobos for cash. As I always say, there is a huge difference between right and realistic.

Further more, I think he will be remembered at both levels based on his performance.

And I find it ridiculous that ole sneaky Pete was clueless as to Bush's economic situation. So USC's "Et Tu Bushe" approach is disingenuous at best.

the ncaa are conartists and cheapskates.

hi, second most popular football player of the decade, who made millions for his school as well as our organization. we regret to inform you that, since someone else paid you the way you should've been from the beginning (and we don't want a bunch of blacks driving nice cars at our universities), we're gonna make an example of you.

thanks for everything,

NCAA.

P.S. **** you

It's more on his parents than him, plus it depends which specific fan you're talking to. I'm all for student athletes getting paid. Guaranteed he brought in more money to USC than he received in scholarships or certainly any cash or benefits. The universities are making a killing off of these athletes.

Either way, I don't think he really cares a big deal anymore. He has a Super Bowl ring which I'm sure means far more to him than the ring he got with USC, even before they took away his name from their record books.

the ncaa are conartists and cheapskates.

hi, second most popular football player of the decade, who made millions for his school as well as our organization. we regret to inform you that, since someone else paid you the way you should've been from the beginning (and we don't want a bunch of blacks driving nice cars at our universities), we're gonna make an example of you.

thanks for everything,

NCAA.

P.S. **** you

Wow tom I agree with you. Twightlight Zone lol