Houston (CB) is very good at press coverage?

JKH5785

Sorry guys...this may be the wrong forum, but this is just too funny.

This article says that "the Atlanta Falcons were willing to let Houston go for just a sixth-round draft pick and a conditional seventh-rounder." LOL yeah okay, we all know we got a steal!

It then goes on to say that Houston is "...very good at press coverage and can handle the physical rigors at cornerback. He's an excellent athlete with decent speed, good quickness and strong character but his biggest challenge might be getting his mind right after his experience with the Falcons. Houston took a lot of heat for some of the problems in the secondary and the new coaching staff under Mike Smith wasn't enamored with him."

Very good at "press coverage"? LOL, was that when he was playing 10 yds off a WR on 3rd and 5? lol.

"...he has to get his mind right after his experience with the Falcons... he took a lot of heat for some of the problems in the secondary" Ummmm! How about ATL has to get their mind right after their experience with Houston, like none of the heat he took was deserved? He didn't earn the name Crisp for no reason. I wish him well...but I think it's absolutely ludicrous to make it seem like ATL was so horrible to him, and make him out to be a victim.

Anyways...here it is, I just thought that it was too funny!

Article

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that was his speciality comin out of college and we didnt run any press coverage we made him switch systems

ding, ding, ding

He is going to be pretty nasty in Detroit from what I hear!

Press coverage is the ONLY style of coverage that I like. Foxworth, Williams, Houston, Jackson, Owens, and a few others are best in press coverage.

Actually, Houston is pretty good at press coverage. It's when you ask him to play zone coverage (which we run a lot) is where he has trouble. Press coverage requires that the defender play the receiver moreso than the ball.

His Achilles heel is his trouble finding the ball while its in the air (if and when a veteran QB decides to challenge him) while he's playing press coverage is what really hurts him more often than not.

Oh bullshyt. I've been following the Falcons and NFL for 25 years. I know what a Press Corner is. Get your panties out of wad.

I do believe that the Lions have upgraded quite a bit this offseason. The defense should be set with Houston there.

Listen, real talk. I've PLAYED the position for years man and it makes a huge difference. I suck at man coverage but I'm great at press and cover 2. Barber is another press cover guy who sucked last year when he was forced to play man coverage. It matters.

The two that you used do not go together in the way that you are thinking.

Actually they do. If you can get a great jam on a WR that just disrupts the route but if you can't play the ball once it is thrown at you anyway then why jam? Why not sit back in zone and just watch the QB throw the ball at you? Maybe you would see it coming if you weren't too busy trying to catch up with the WR that ran passed you anyway. I had hope in Houston because he was a physical, fast corner but that was about it. He couldn't anticipate routes nor play the ball in the air. He had more PIs against him than INTs/PDs put together. It was time for him to go

Actually they do. If you can get a great jam on a WR that just disrupts the route but if you can't play the ball once it is thrown at you anyway then why jam? Why not sit back in zone and just watch the QB throw the ball at you? Maybe you would see it coming if you weren't too busy trying to catch up with the WR that ran passed you anyway. I had hope in Houston because he was a physical, fast corner but that was about it. He couldn't anticipate routes nor play the ball in the air. He had more PIs against him than INTs/PDs put together. It was time for him to go

Still you do not have to have "ball skills" as is used like some type of cult around here to play good press coverage. Just like 6 INTS does not a good CB make.

Still you do not have to have "ball skills" as is used like some type of cult around here to play good press coverage. Just like 6 INTS does not a good CB make.

But it's the difference between staying and fighting for a starting job and being traded for scraps. I'm sorry but it's not enough to just jam the receiver. You can't honestly tell me you were fine with being last in 3rd down conversions because all the other QB had to do was wait for Houston to turn around then throw the ball. He even got called for numerous PI's because he wouldn't turn around = ball skills. Sorry. I didn't really care for Grimes but he has better ball skills which led to 6 INTs. Those weren't 6 "Tye Hill Tipped To Me" INTs neither. Owens got 2 and Jackson even got 2 his rookie season. It took Houston 3 seasons to get 3 INTs. That is pitiful as much as he was thrown at.

And before you go bringing up playing football, I played both corner and safety so I know what it's like to play in the whole secondary and corner you need to tremendous ball skills to survive.

But it's the difference between staying and fighting for a starting job and being traded for scraps. I'm sorry but it's not enough to just jam the receiver. You can't honestly tell me you were fine with being last in 3rd down conversions because all the other QB had to do was wait for Houston to turn around then throw the ball. He even got called for numerous PI's because he wouldn't turn around = ball skills. Sorry. I didn't really care for Grimes but he has better ball skills which led to 6 INTs. Those weren't 6 "Tye Hill Tipped To Me" INTs neither. Owens got 2 and Jackson even got 2 his rookie season. It took Houston 3 seasons to get 3 INTs. That is pitiful as much as he was thrown at.

And before you go bringing up playing football, I played both corner and safety so I know what it's like to play in the whole secondary and corner you need to tremendous ball skills to survive.

Thats fine man. I'm not going to argue on this board its too time consuming.

Well, if we had used him at press coverage you would have seen it. We didn't and don't try and tell me we did.

I agree, it was zone coverage that Houston couldn't wrap his brain around. I didn't like him in our scheme, but he was a good guy & took a lot of heat he may not have deserved. We didn't play to his strengths (but we did play to the overall strength of the rest of our D). He should do ok if they are going to use him in press schemes.