Jerious Norwood hopes for good health

Statick

I hope (praying, actually) for your health as well, dude...

July, 20, 2010 Jul 2010:27AM ET

By Pat Yasinskas

With all the talk about Atlanta running back Michael Turner coming back healthy, Jerious Norwood seems to be the forgotten man among Falcons fans.

Maybe that’s appropriate because a series of injuries have kept Norwood from ever reaching his massive potential. He’s got breakaway speed, but he just seems to keep breaking down. Norwood’s been hurt much of his career and injuries to Turner and him last season forced the Falcons to turn to Jason Snelling, who may have pushed himself above Norwood on the depth chart.

But the Falcons kept Norwood around as a restricted free agent and that means he’ll be playing for a new contract this season. Maybe that will provide extra incentive or maybe Norwood just needs an injury-free season.

Either way, he talked about his hopes for this year while running his annual youth football camp in Mississippi last weekend. The Falcons are fired up about Turner because he appears to be in spectacular physical condition and they really like what Snelling did last year. But this team hasn’t completely given up on Norwood. He’s going to get one more chance because he is a home-run threat, and that alone will probably give him a spot in the backfield rotation.

But, if Norwood wants a big, long-term contract in Atlanta, or anywhere else, he has to stay healthy this season.

I like Norwood and hope he can stay healthy the whole year just to prove what he can fully do when given the chance. He is a perfect change of pace back but I wish we would use him a little more like on, um, maybe a screen play. Mularkey really needs to find a few plays for him, get Norwood some open space and let him do his thing. Try and use Norwood the same way the Eagles did with Westbrook and how the Saints use Bush. Speed kills in the NFL and is such a momentum shifter if used at the right time.

Guest Gritz

For a wide variety of reasons, my favorite Atlanta Falcon.

It would be very frightening for everyone we play if Jerious could stay healthy for a full 16 game schedule.

If anyone besides Jamaal Anderson is on the hot seat this year, Norwood is. This kid could be a Chris Johnson clone if he had better vision and could actually stay healthy.

not even close. CJ knows how to cut up the field as quick as he moves side to side. Norwood hasn't ever had that burst. CJ also has a lower center of gravity when he runs, Norwood looks like he's floating on a cloud. but a healthy Norwood all year would probably shut up all the people calling for a DeSean Jackson-type number 2. without him, we don't have as much explosiveness.

I hope (praying, actually) for your health as well, dude...

July, 20, 2010 Jul 2010:27AM ET

By Pat Yasinskas

With all the talk about Atlanta running back Michael Turner coming back healthy, Jerious Norwood seems to be the forgotten man among Falcons fans.

Maybe that’s appropriate because a series of injuries have kept Norwood from ever reaching his massive potential. He’s got breakaway speed, but he just seems to keep breaking down. Norwood’s been hurt much of his career and injuries to Turner and him last season forced the Falcons to turn to Jason Snelling, who may have pushed himself above Norwood on the depth chart.

But the Falcons kept Norwood around as a restricted free agent and that means he’ll be playing for a new contract this season. Maybe that will provide extra incentive or maybe Norwood just needs an injury-free season.

Either way, he talked about his hopes for this year while running his annual youth football camp in Mississippi last weekend. The Falcons are fired up about Turner because he appears to be in spectacular physical condition and they really like what Snelling did last year. But this team hasn’t completely given up on Norwood. He’s going to get one more chance because he is a home-run threat, and that alone will probably give him a spot in the backfield rotation.

But, if Norwood wants a big, long-term contract in Atlanta, or anywhere else, he has to stay healthy this season.

Great read, but my only question is, what if Norwood can't stay healthy? What if he can't make it through TC without and injury? Don't get me wrong, I want Norwood on this team b/c he is a threat, but just what if. Do we get rid of him?

Great read, but my only question is, what if Norwood can't stay healthy? What if he can't make it through TC without and injury? Don't get me wrong, I want Norwood on this team b/c he is a threat, but just what if. Do we get rid of him?

All signs would point to yes. JMHO

not even close. CJ knows how to cut up the field as quick as he moves side to side. Norwood hasn't ever had that burst. CJ also has a lower center of gravity when he runs, Norwood looks like he's floating on a cloud. but a healthy Norwood all year would probably shut up all the people calling for a DeSean Jackson-type number 2. without him, we don't have as much explosiveness.

I don't know, the first year or 2 Norwood could really break some ankles. I do agree with you about the center of gravity. Chris Johnson is like a hybrid of Warrick Dunn and Norwood with better vision. Norwood runs more like O.J. and Eric Dickerson back in the day, very upright. My point was that Norwood has all the physical tools to be an elite back, even a 2000 yarder, I just don't think he has the vision, or the durability to be that elite back.

Edited by paulitik

I wish the best for you Jerious.... you are a good man, no doubt about that!

I hope you are healthy this year too, and can break loose many times, and not be sent 'up the gut' to get pounded.... we realize you're not made for that kind of work.

We enjoy seeing you do special team duty as well....but that job should probably go to a younger and possibly faster player..... obviously, your 0-60 speed is still awesome... we love that one cut and gone factor you bring to our team.

We picked up Antone Smith. He runs a 4.32 40. Jerious is very good but I wouldn't compare anyone with Chris Johnson. Johnson is the best at his style of play. Adrian Peterson is a combo of speed and bang and Michael Turner is a combo of bang and speed. All are great but they play diferently. Michael Turner actually is the best cut back runner in the game right now.

And although we dont use him much on offense, I think Ovie is an okay runner for a FB.

I think the offense should incorporate more FB runs. FB dives, etc. I think he would help to soften up the middle, and I think it would help Turner out as well. If we are going to be a "run first" offense, I don't see why this shouldn't be incorporated.