Peria Jerry's knee still a concern

hawkeye

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 20, 2010 10:38 AM ET

In 2009, the Atlanta Falcons selected defensive lineman Peria Jerry in the first round of the draft but got only two games and one tackle out of him before he was lost to a season-ending knee injury on September 20.

Ten months later, Jerry's knee remains a concern to the Falcons.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the Falcons still aren't saying what the specific nature of the injury was, and that rumors continue to fly about his ACL. The paper offers no details about those rumors, but suffice to say, the rumors are not that Jerry is perfectly fine and back to 100 percent.

At the Falcons' minicamp in early May, Jerry did some rehab work but didn't participate in any of the practices and was still limping noticeably. Whatever the details of the injury, it's clearly not healing quickly.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/20/peria-jerrys-knee-still-a-concern/

I think this is why they drafted Corey Peters. Then they picked up Trey Bryant. I'm sure they are preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

That being said - all this is speculation and rumour - the Falcons have said nothing.

Guest Gritz

You can read 5 reports and/or previews saying that everything is progressing fine with Jerry and then you can turn around and read 5 others that say the injury was devastating and that there are real concerns about him for this year.

No real point in freaking out until the reality of the situation reveals itself........

I think this is why they drafted Corey Peters. Then they picked up Trey Bryant. I'm sure they are preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

That being said - all this is speculation and rumour - the Falcons have said nothing.

I am holding out that it is all speculation and rumour. It would be horrible if he have to start the season with out him, but I think we have enough depth at DT even if he isn't 100 percent at the start of the season. I think Peters will step it up if he needs to.

No real point in freaking out until the reality of the situation reveals itself........

I agree, but it seems to me that if he in fact was gonna be good to go and the Falcons knew it, they would be happy to announce as much. I have to think that in this case, silence is not golden.

If we're still talking about his injury this time next year, then it will be time to worry

about his career.

But, right now, there's no way he's starting this season. No way, no how.

A knee injury to a DT whose hips, knees and ankles carry the burden of all that weight and muscle that's used as leverage in the war of the trenches? It's a two year recovery. Common knowledge.

If we're lucky, he may be able to get back on the practice field midway through the season. That would be a good sign and a sure bet he will make a full recovery by next season.

I applaud all of you who hope beyond hope that he is 'ready to go by TC', and a part of me still holds out

hope this could be true. But, in reality, i know we need a DT that is 100% healthy and ready to move

some of the best offensive linemen in the league out of the way so we can get pressure on the QB. Do any of you

still believe P. Jerry can fit that role this year?

I know, i know..."House, you're being negative."

But, fact is: Noone wants to consider Jerry not coming back this season because it would mean the weak pass

rush we fielded last year would take the field once again this season with no upgrades, crossing our fingers for developing young players, and only one addition added mainly for depth (Peters). And that is scary.

Here's the paragraph from the AJC article that was referenced...

"Peria Jerry: Only played in two games last season before going down with a mysterious season-ending left knee injury. The team has yet to reveal what part of the knee or ligaments were injuried. Rumors continue to fly about his ACL or non-bone related injury."

One guess who the author was.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2010/07/20/countdown-to-training-camp-day-10-defensive-line/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_falcons_blog

Once again... Move along. Nothing to see here.

People get too excited around here. If he can't be ready at the start of the year then hopefully he can still play for us sometime. If you think the hopes and dreams of how far we can go this season rely on PJ you're mistaken. Teams are going to have a rough time against us next regardless if he is ready or not. As they say, one monkey don't stop no show...

If we're still talking about his injury this time next year, then it will be time to worry

about his career.

But, right now, there's no way he's starting this season. No way, no how.

A knee injury to a DT whose hips, knees and ankles carry the burden of all that weight and muscle that's used as leverage in the war of the trenches? It's a two year recovery. Common knowledge.

If we're lucky, he may be able to get back on the practice field midway through the season. That would be a good sign and a sure bet he will make a full recovery by next season.

I applaud all of you who hope beyond hope that he is 'ready to go by TC', and a part of me still holds out

hope this could be true. But, in reality, i know we need a DT that is 100% healthy and ready to move

some of the best offensive linemen in the league out of the way so we can get pressure on the QB. Do any of you

still believe P. Jerry can fit that role this year?

I know, i know..."House, you're being negative."

But, fact is: Noone wants to consider Jerry not coming back this season because it would mean the weak pass

rush we fielded last year would take the field once again this season with no upgrades, crossing our fingers for developing young players, and only one addition added mainly for depth (Peters). And that is scary.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Expecting a DT to come back from a season ending knee injury and start Day 1 this year is asking quite a lot and probably doesn't speak much for our line depth. Miracles have happened, but I don't want us to count on one.

The concern for me relating to Jerry has been the secrecy around the details of his injury and rehab. The Falcons have seemingly been more transparent with regard to Douglas on this front. Coupled with the drafting of Peters and it does make you wonder if a more chronic condition may be involved.

The concern for me relating to Jerry has been the secrecy around the details of his injury and rehab. The Falcons have seemingly been more transparent with regard to Douglas on this front. Coupled with the drafting of Peters and it does make you wonder if a more chronic condition may be involved.

Agree. What's up with the secrecy? What's to be gained by it? I don't understand the mind set behind it. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

TD comes from the "don't start none, won't be none" school of thought (cut from the Patriots cloth remember) regarding serious injuries. If he's ready to go...AWESOME. If not, he goes on the PUP, we grab another body or two to create some double teams on the line, and hope he can get back before the trade deadline...

Nothing we can do about it, but the people who immediately go into "Chicken Little" mode and assume that his career may be over need to take one of Yardbird's chill pills.

It made sense for us to draft a DT even if Jerry was never hurt. We all know JA98 is being overpaid for a player that had to switch positions because of ineffectiveness. We also knew that Babs was going to face at least some suspension. Balance in the fact that Smitty rotates defensive lineman and drafting Peters just makes sense.

Smitty and Dimitroff both commented on Jerry's absence last year having a huge impact on our pass rush.

Something tells me if they were real concerned about Jerry's knee we would have made a play for Henderson.

Nothing we can do about it, but the people who immediately go into "Chicken Little" mode and assume that his career may be over need to take one of Yardbird's chill pills.

Fair enough, although my concern hasn't been "immediate". We've all pretty much been in the dark since the big man went down in '09.

Well Mike Smith said once before that Peria Jerry has a long road ahead in regards to his recovery. Knees are pretty tricky, it wouldn't shock me if he didn't play the first few months of the season..

At this point it is what it is with Jerry. Just wish him a full recovery and hope the other players step up.

You can read 5 reports and/or previews saying that everything is progressing fine with Jerry and then you can turn around and read 5 others that say the injury was devastating and that there are real concerns about him for this year.

Good point.