Babineaux gets probabtion for pot charge

You or I would be sitting in jail for felony distribution.....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Jonathan-Babineaux-Atlanta-Falcons-probation-071910

Updated Jul 19, 2010 9:14 PM ET

One of the Atlanta Falcons' best players received good legal news on Monday. Now, defensive tackle Jonathan Babineaux is hoping for the same from the NFL.

A felony charge of marijuana possession was reduced in Gwinett (Atl.) County Court to three misdemeanor counts of marijuana possession, Babineaux’s attorney Pat McDonough told FOXSports.com on Monday. McDonough said Babineaux pleaded no contest and was sentenced to 12 months of probation and a $1,500 fine on one count. The other two counts were suspended and will not be prosecuted if Babineaux completes the probation without incident, McDonough said.

“I think instead of fighting the charge, he wanted to get it behind him and focus on the season,” McDonough said in a telephone interview.

Babineaux still faces NFL discipline that could include a suspension, but the punishment might not be as harsh with the reduced charges. Babineaux and a passenger were arrested last December after police found three bags of marijuana inside the former’s car during a traffic stop.

Babineaux, 28, logged career highs in tackles (47) and sacks (6) last season. He signed a five-year, $25 million contract extension in 2008.

I wouldn't. Cause I wouldn't be stupid enough to drive around with marijuana in my car which had expired tags on it.

+1 Tandy. I mean I am not in support of breaking the law, but if your gonna be stupid and do it, don't be extra stupid and put a bull's eye on your back, or in his situation, your tag!

I miss the Tagliabue days when Babs would have just gotten a fine and went back to business as usual. Goodell is an ahole

I cannot agree with that, I'm glad that players are held accountable for their actions. I think Goodell should have happened a long time ago.

I cant see Babs getting more then a 1 game suspension now.

Getting in this trouble was a dumb move but its over now

Leroy hill basically got the same charges.... Gordell hit him with 1 game suspension.... The thing is... Leroy Hill has been in trouble mutiple times tho...

I think 2 is a reasonable expectation. I know the animal cruelty charge was dropped, but I think Goodell will probably take it into account as far as how the publicity affects the "image of the league". I'd be surprised if he got 4 games. But this is Goodell we are dealing with.

Let's hope for a 1 gamer. If he misses the Steelers game, the fact that Leftwich is in, and the Steeler OL is missing Colon, it will counteract the loss of Babs.

Agreed paulitik. I doubt 3-4 as well, and it would surprise me. You have to wonder if he will consider what he's handed out to other players, and how much of their individual circumstances he will review. If he wants to be fair, he should probably try to keep it relatively even, but I don't think he'll spend much time on that exercise.

I think 2 is a reasonable expectation. I know the animal cruelty charge was dropped, but I think Goodell will probably take it into account as far as how the publicity affects the "image of the league". I'd be surprised if he got 4 games. But this is Goodell we are dealing with.

Let's hope for a 1 gamer. If he misses the Steelers game, the fact that Leftwich is in, and the Steeler OL is missing Colon, it will counteract the loss of Babs.

my goodness ... Outside of politics I find myself agreeing with you more and more ... Great posts lately btw.

FFS1970 checkin in for Goody.

Four minimum. Maybe eight.

You boys know me and how lenient I am. Even I would give him at least four.

Driving up I-85 with hella gunja, smokin a blunt? Two years after killing a dog during the dog killin era?

Come on man. That's at least four. The only way I would do less than four games is if he let me personally kick him in the as 95 times.

If I was runnin this joint I would be trying to find somebody that I think could beat him out. Just to be able to cut him and send a loud message to the rest of the team. Get your sht together boys or you will be gone.

Put the jernt down FFS1970!!! :P

So sober and so psd right now bro.

Would like to see us send a message. Dog killa. Blunt smoka. Heavy I-85 North trafficker. Can't even keep a freakin current insurance card.

I saw Rod Coleman last week. Bring him home. The worst he ever did was kill a tree and a jet ski and ask a cop if he knew who he was.

Peters, Walker and Busterson. Rise Up!!!

Some of yall are harsh man.... I'm not saying smoking the purple haze is right but you guys acting like the man is a bad guy....

The man has did good in our community and i have yet to hear one person mention that

link

Babineaux to receive award for community service

The man made a dumb mistake.... Stop over reacting and move on.... If he does it again... Then it becomes a habit.