Brian Williams Favored to Start at Right Corner for Falcons

There has been some disagreement on this board on how the Falcons see a healthy Brian Williams. I for one think he does have a shot of starting if he fully recovers while we continue to develop Owens and Franks...

Brian Williams Favored to Start at Right Corner for Falcons

By Chuck Carroll

Football News Now Staff Writer

July 17, 2010

Brian Williams is considered the front runner to win the starting right corner job.

While Dunta Robinson has the left cornerback locked up, the Atlanta Falcons have a wide open battle on their hands for the right corner job.

At least four players are competing for the job according to Dan Parr at ProFootballWeekly.

The front-runner is ninth-year veteran Brian Williams who is coming off an ACL tear. Provided he can stay healthy, it could be his job to lose.

Also competing for the job is Brent Grimes who started 14 games for the Falcons over the last two seasons.

Second-year man Chris Owens, who started six games as a rookie in 2009, is also in the mix.

Rounding out the contenders is Chevis Jackson who was fourth on the team’s depth chart last season. He’s considered a long shot to win the starting job.

link

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whonder what his source is for this insight. NOt saying it is not true.

I do not understand enough of what our defense requires from our CBs, but our coaches seem to prefer experienced, (slightly) less athletic players that know what to do and do it - to super athletic corners on an island that can cover one on one great but make mental errors on coverage packages. You cannot tell me Williams was faster / more athletic than Owens or Grimes, but he knows what to do.

As we all know we rely heavily on zone coverage.

The addition of Dunta should allow us to blitz more as he can man-up with opponents number 1 reciever.

The rest of the secondary will be asked to play wisely in space. Whoever plays RCB will benefit from having a strong safety corps and good LB coverage from Weatherspoon and Nicholas (underrated), an improved defensive line and by more agressive blitzing.

Brian Williams knows how to play Smtih Van Gorder's spacing game.

Well Jbo and JayMadd won't like this. Not at all.

This is about the fourth time I've heard this from a pro writer in the last two weeks, including the AJC beat writer who has more insight than most writers.

Couple this with Abraham's comment in the Abe article on the board today about wanting more experience back there and it's looking like Williams might have more of a chance than some think.

Let the games begin. We need rest.

This ish aint true, and I also wonder where his sources are. Williams aint even practicing. Grimes and Owens played much better over those last 4-5 games than Williams did over his 4-5 games he played. Williams didnt even play passing downs on the outside he was moved to the inside and to me that is not saying that I am the second best cover CB on this team, it was more of an indication of our lack of experience at CB.

I am willing to bet anyone that a Healthy Williams is not starting period

Well Jbo and JayMadd won't like this. Not at all.

This is about the fourth time I've heard this from a pro writer in the last two weeks, including the AJC beat writer who has more insight than most writers.

Couple this with Abraham's comment in the Abe article on the board today about wanting more experience back there and it's looking like Williams might have more of a chance than some think.

Let the games begin. We need rest.

He aint starting, especially if we are planning to blitz more.

This ish aint true, and I also wonder where his sources are. Williams aint even practicing. Grimes and Owens played much better over those last 4-5 games than Williams did over his 4-5 games he played. Williams didnt even play passing downs on the outside he was moved to the inside and to me that is not saying that I am the second best cover CB on this team, it was more of an indication of our lack of experience at CB.

I am willing to be anyone that a Healthy Williams is not starting period

This is a bet that I definitely won't take you up on. I don't think Williams starts either. Seems like this same article keeps being reprinted. I personally think Williams will be the odd man out if another corner is cut. Williams can't be one hundred percent right now, and I don't think he starts if he is ready. I think Grimes will start the season, and Owens will take over the starting duties at some point in the season. Should be an interesting fight between Owens and Grimes to start opposite Dunta. JMHO

My thing is people worry about Dunta Robinson being fully recovered from an ACL tear 2 years ago but have full faith that Williams will be starting Day 1. He tore his ACL midseason and is 30 years old. If he comes back starting then that means we have sh!t for corners then. This is the dumbest assumption and to think fans actually agree means they just agree with everything Falcons related and don't take time to think about it.

You worry about Douglas/Jerry/DRob who all injured the same thing but Williams is a shoe in for the #2 corner spot. HAHA SMH Idiots

Well if what you say is true (I haven't been paying attention) then I don't see how Williams can be the frontrunner at this stage if he's not practicing.

Well if what you say is true (I haven't been paying attention) then I don't see how Williams can be the frontrunner at this stage if he's not practicing.

He didnt practice at MIni camp, and Sports Freak said he was not practicing at OTA's, and there was a report that had his name listed as one of the individuals doing rehab with Jerry and Douglas. I have a feeling that Williams will end up on the PUP list beginning of the season and depending on how Chevis plays at the Nickel and how well Franks develops we could see Williams cut during the season, if we only plan on keeping 5 DB's.

Well ... we only need one good cover corner to blitz more than last year.

I dont get how Williams is held in such high regard on the boards. Dude was an average CB on a team where the CB play was inconsistent, inexperienced and below average = overrating of Williams abilities.

I'll make a friendly sig bet with you.

It's not that I want Williams to start....I hope that one of the young guys really steps up and blows the coaches away. I do feel that Grimes and Owens have the potential to do just that.

I do know that the secondary struggled before Williams was signed last preseason. He was definitely our best cb at the start of last season before being injured. Hopefully the young guys got the experience they needed and it pays dividends now and in the future.

....but if healthy, I think Williams is our starter.

It's not that I want Williams to start....I hope that one of the young guys really steps up and blows the coaches away. I do feel that Grimes and Owens have the potential to do just that.

I do know that the secondary struggled before Williams was signed last preseason. He was definitely our best cb at the start of last season before being injured. Hopefully the young guys got the experience they needed and it pays dividends now and in the future.

I'd agree with that assesment.

He didnt practice at MIni camp, and Sports Freak said he was not practicing at OTA's, and there was a report that had his name listed as one of the individuals doing rehab with Jerry and Douglas.

Did SportsFreak say whether Jerry or HD are practicing? I bet all three are being held out at this point. Smitty said he learned his lesson with Turner last year.
I have a feeling that Williams will end up on the PUP list beginning of the season and depending on how Chevis plays at the Nickel and how well Franks develops we could see Williams cut during the season, if we only plan on keeping 5 DB's.
From starter to cut? That's a big drop bro. Why would TD lay $1.6M on him if he thought he was headed to the PUP? I say if Williams is healthy he will run with the experienced secondary of Dunta, Coleman and DeCoud. If he isn't it is a toss up between Grimes and Owens IMO. I believe either Chevis or Franks will not make the 53 man roster if we go with 5 corners.

All I can say is the next seven weeks will be very interesting cause we usually don't settle on a secondary until the week before Game One. I can't wait. I need rest from this debate.

I don't think Williams starts either, but it is distinctly possible that the team is intentionally wanting it to get around that he will in order to get Owens and Grimes to work that much harder -- not that I think that's a problem with either of those guys. Maybe they're trying to get Chevis to work harder, :lol:

When the season starts I honestly expect to see Dunta at LCB (duh), Owens at RCB, Grimes at Nickel and Chevis or Franks at Dime. If we keep Williams, it will be as a veteran backup, but I'm not even sure I see that scenario playing out when all is said and done.

Did SportsFreak say whether Jerry or HD are practicing? I bet all three are being held out at this point. Smitty said he learned his lesson with Turner last year.

From starter to cut? That's a big drop bro. Why would TD lay $1.6M on him if he thought he was headed to the PUP? I say if Williams is healthy he will run with the experienced secondary of Dunta, Coleman and DeCoud. If he isn't it is a toss up between Grimes and Owens IMO. I believe either Chevis or Franks will not make the 53 man roster if we go with 5 corners.

All I can say is the next seven weeks will be very interesting cause we usually don't settle on a secondary until the week before Game One. I can't wait. I need rest from this debate.

Jerry nor Douglas are werent practicing but Jerry and Douglas were injured before Williams

Bet that up my good man, I need to go ahead and find one of these graphics people to get me a sig ready for you :D

Bet that up my good man, I need to go ahead and find one of these graphics people to get me a sig ready for you :D

1 month sig bet.........nothing to get each other banned. Keep it friendly.

......but you should have to pick who is starting opposite Dunta.

Fair enough?

1 month sig bet.........nothing to get each other banned. Keep it friendly.

......but you should have to pick who is starting opposite Dunta.

Fair enough?

If my man jay's happy to pick one of Grimes and Chevis, I'm happy to make this a three-way [iI], with my sig on the line too. I vote Chris Owens.