Be honest what did you think about Roddy in his early years

Scorpion

I am not gonna lie, i hated Roddy White his first 2 seasons. He was dropping everything! I remember when YKW hit him right on the numbers in the chest and he dropped the pass.I threw a empty bottle of water at my TV and was screaming cut this MFer. Not gonna lie , if i was a coach or owner back than no way he would have stayed a Falcon.

Ofcourse now he is awesome and i am glad we kept him.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought our WRs were a big reason that Vick had such a bad rep in the passing game. Jenkins and Roddy weren't very consistent in their catching ability. We didn't put any real WR talent around him.

I was impressed with Roddy's physical ability, but he definitely disappointed me his catching consistently.

I'm glad to see now that he has come into his own. After it's all said and done, he could be the best WR in franchise history.

I never blamed Roddy White ...it takes a wr 3 years to develop and learn the in and outs of the game.Michael Vick was a failure at QB from QB standpoint ..Its no shock Roddy White shined with a pocket QB that actually took his craft serious and got him the ball on time and accurate..Michael Vick was a street ball QB

we could have brought in Jerry Rice /Randy Moss whatever great wr to pair with Michael Vick and it would have been a failure..on top of that that Greg Knapp system with a QB that never worked hard and was to interested in fighting dogs and being a low life.

i hated roddy too. i'm glad he developed, but he still shows inconsistant hands sometimes. i hate that he has no idea how to protect the ball when making a diving catch. he always lands on the ball and loses it. i also hate how he still has only decent hands evidenced by how often he bobbles the ball. even when he does catch it, he takes too long to secure it or gain possesion. he does not consistantly catch it cleanly is all. last year i remember he bobbling it all the way down his torso and catching it with his legs as he went to the ground. can't argue with his #'s though. jenkins often looks like he is fighting it as well. his #'s are not acceptable though. one thing many will notice about meier, harvey, and wolfe in camp is that they all catch the ball cleanly and quickly put it away to get upfield. i really hope all three shine and make the 53 man roster.

meier and wolfe both know how to dive for the ball and land on their shoulder or back to protect the ball instead of on their stomach like dumbass roddy white.

Edited by millenium falcon

Guest Gritz

I never hated him.....

I just figured it was another prime example of McKay whiffing on an offensive skill player pick.......

I remember the summer before Roddy had his first break out year. Someone on here asked me if I was ready to throw in the towel on Roddy. I said I had the towel in my hand and my arm was cocked and twitching to throw.....but not yet.....

:)

I never blamed Roddy White ...it takes a wr 3 years to develop and learn the in and outs of the game.Michael Vick was a failure at QB from QB standpoint ..Its no shock Roddy White shined with a pocket QB that actually took his craft serious and got him the ball on time and accurate..Michael Vick was a street ball QB

we could have brought in Jerry Rice /Randy Moss whatever great wr to pair with Michael Vick and it would have been a failure..on top of that that Greg Knapp system with a QB that never worked hard and was to interested in fighting dogs and being a low life.

My god I actually agree 100% with something Swift said.

Pigs are flying, He!! is freezing, cats & dogs are living together in harmony... Armageddon is upon us.

We drafted Roddy White the year after we drafted Michael Jenkins. The thing that struck me when I first watched White when compared to Jenkins was how much smoother and more effortless he made playing WR look. Jenkins has always made it look awkward.

There was a play at the beginning of Roddy's 2nd season, I think it may have been against the TB where Vick put a pass up high. White was able to twist his body around and snatch the ball out of the air. It was a great looking catch, but because he has exposed himself, he was absolutely drilled. He fumbled and wound up missing a game or two. But I thought that that was something Jenkins couldn't physically do.

Later that year after Roddy had the wide open drop, he had a beautiful diving catch along the right sideline that put the Falcons within the 5. Again, it was the type of play Jenkins was (and still is) incapable of making.

Considering Jenkins was in his 3rd season, I still held out hope that he would develop, but I could tell by watching Roddy he was simply more physically gifted.

Although he did have some bad drops in his first few years I tended to blame YKW more so than Roddy. When you have a TE with pillow hands as your only consistent catcher told me that YKW's ball was coming in like a cold rock. No touch and no ability to lead his recievers by throwing to a spot. Anyone remeber how decent Roddy started to look whenever Schaub came in?

You really have to be patient with WR in the NFL. That is why guys that come in and do so well right off the bat is so impressive. It really does take time to adjust to the aspects of the NFL game. I knew Roddy would turn out alright, but I figured it wouldn't be with Vick at QB. Yes, some of the drops and inconsitency he showed early on was painful, but look at him now. A top-ten WR. Just takes time for most WR to adjust.

I don't agree with.... It should take 3 years for a 1st round WR to develop. When your drafted in the First round, you should have the physical gifts to come into the NFL and do well.

They are running the same route tree, all they really have to do is learn the playbook and adjust to DB play. It's not like they are QBs or LBs.

When your talking about a 3rd round WR, well maybe 3 years would make more sense, but when your drafted in the 1st round...you should show signs from the beginning.

Dallas didn't draft Dez Bryant so he could be a good WR 3 years from now. Same goes for 49ers and Crabtree.

I always supported him, but I honestly thought he was a bust when we drafted him.

After about 2 years in the league, I was sure he would never be better than average (kind of like reggie williams for the Jags).

Needless to say, he has proven me wrong.

edit: You know Vick was a bad passer when it took Joey Harrington to allow Roddy to break out into a #1 receiver.

haha jk. I never really blamed Vick. He was definitely a less than average QB, but if you remember the pro bowl, Tory Holt had NO problem whatsoever catching his balls. Also, Finneran did very well with Vick at quarterback. And I remember one game (maybe in the 2nd or 3rd year of the mora era) where Vick became a beast passer but didn't run the ball. In fact I think he had 2 great passing games in a row...... but we lost both of those games.

And Harrington isn't as bad as people on these boards say. Whenever he started playing good, Petrino benched him. He had the chance to drive us down and win the game and once he drove us down there, Petrino subbed him out for Leftwich, who through it way above the receiver causing us to lose. Not that leftwich is bad. Once he started to finally play good, Petrino subbed him out. And he has proven he is an okay QB in Pittsburgh.

Edited by FinneranForever

I don't agree with.... It should take 3 years for a 1st round WR to develop. When your drafted in the First round, you should have the physical gifts to come into the NFL and do well.

They are running the same route tree, all they really have to do is learn the playbook and adjust to DB play. It's not like they are QBs or LBs.

When your talking about a 3rd round WR, well maybe 3 years would make more sense, but when your drafted in the 1st round...you should show signs from the beginning.

Dallas didn't draft Dez Bryant so he could be a good WR 3 years from now. Same goes for 49ers and Crabtree.

You're very naive then, no offense. But if you don't think every position coming from college to the NFL has a learning curve, whether you're 1st round of UDFA, then you're going to be very disappointed 99% of the time. Use some logic while you're at it. Was Jerry Rice a 1st rounder? Not even close. Was he incredible his 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd year? No. Is he regarded as the best receiver of all time? Yep.

Look at Wes Welker. He was a nobody until Brady decided he liked throwing to him. The QB DOES matter. Vick had no touch, no vision, was horrible at leading the throw, had terrible accuracy, & threw every pass 90 MPH with a slight wobble.

Roddy & Ryan are going to do special things for years to come. Their names will be forever entwined & the stats are gonna be rediculously good.

Roddy was lazy, undedicated, and over-confident when he first entered the league. I think Coach Robiskie took the time to mentor alongside coaching him and it made a huge difference in his approach to the game.

I just love how everyone is bashing Vick in this thread when Brian Finnerman and Alge Crumpler(who was a Pro-Bowler) had no problems catching Vick's balls while we're still waiting on Jenkins to consistently produce after 5 Qbs who've started for this team since he's been here. I guess hate really knows no limits!

Roddy was lazy, undedicated, and over-confident when he first entered the league. I think Coach Robiskie took the time to mentor alongside coaching him and it made a huge difference in his approach to the game.

I just love how everyone is bashing Vick in this thread when Brian Finnerman and Alge Crumpler(who was a Pro-Bowler) had no problems catching Vick's balls while we're still waiting on Jenkins to consistently produce after 5 Qbs who've started for this team since he's been here. I guess hate really knows no limits!

Alge didnt even have to catch the ball it just gravitated to him.

No hate here just truth.

Remember the "skillet hands" moniker that haunted Finneran during YKW's first few years.

You're very naive then, no offense. But if you don't think every position coming from college to the NFL has a learning curve, whether you're 1st round of UDFA, then you're going to be very disappointed 99% of the time. Use some logic while you're at it. Was Jerry Rice a 1st rounder? Not even close. Was he incredible his 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd year? No. Is he regarded as the best receiver of all time? Yep.

Look at Wes Welker. He was a nobody until Brady decided he liked throwing to him. The QB DOES matter. Vick had no touch, no vision, was horrible at leading the throw, had terrible accuracy, & threw every pass 90 MPH with a slight wobble.

Roddy & Ryan are going to do special things for years to come. Their names will be forever entwined & the stats are gonna be rediculously good.

First of all, I never said there wasn't a learning curve. I pointed out that there was an adjustment to be made to the DBs and learning an NFL playbook. However, WR is one of the more simpler positions to transition to. The route tree doesn't change from College to NFL. It's not like it's a college QB that has adjust to running an offense from under center, leading an NFL offense through it's large playbook, adjusting to NFL pass rush, and having to adjust to all the intricacies that comes from being a QB. WRs can't even been touched after 5yds, and they are running pre-planned routes. The transition is one of the easiest of all positions coming out of college.

Your absolutely CLUELESS! Jerry Rice was drafted in the 1st Round/ 16th Pick overall. Since you basically called me naive and told me to use some logic yet in your reply you said Rice wasn't even close to being a 1st Rounder and you said he wasn't successful in his 2nd an 3rd year ( he went to a Pro Bowl in both) your whole reply is a mute. Rice went to 12 consecutive Pro Bowls starting from his 2nd year in the NFL. 13 Total

You used Welker as an example and he was an UDFA. However! My whole post was about not drafting 1ST ROUND WRs in hopes that 3 years from now they turn into good WRs. I said if your drafted in the 3rd round or past, maybe 3 years makes more sense.

In the words of the great George Thorogood - "everybody funny, now you funny too"

Edited by JKH5785

Vick's stats at QB do not lie. Looking at stats alone, Vick was not a failure. You have your feelings involved in your reply. As far as Roddy White shining, Roddy admits that all he(Roddy) did his first years here is went out to party...."Let it Go Bruh!!!"

:wacko: