Question

Falconsfan567

Why did the Falcons get rid of Steve Bartkowski in the middle of the 1985 season? Wasn't that wrong considering all the good he did for the team and that he is still by far the best QB the Falcons have ever had? :unsure:

TRUE, STEVE HAD GIVEN US ALL HE HAD, BUT THE KNEE INJURIES HAD TOOK ITS TOLL. WITH ALL THESE

ORGANIZATIONS LOYALTY ONLY GOES SO FAR. THEN THE BUSINESS END KICKS IN. AND I JUST LIKE YOU,

THINK HE WAS THE BEST WE EVER HAD. BUT TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE. ONE DAY THE BUSINESS END WILL

KICK IN ON MATT RYAN TOO. NO MATTER WHO THE QUARTERBACK ..... ONE DAY HE WILL BE REPLACED.

TRUE, STEVE HAD GIVEN US ALL HE HAD, BUT THE KNEE INJURIES HAD TOOK ITS TOLL. WITH ALL THESE

ORGANIZATIONS LOYALTY ONLY GOES SO FAR. THEN THE BUSINESS END KICKS IN. AND I JUST LIKE YOU,

THINK HE WAS THE BEST WE EVER HAD. BUT TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE. ONE DAY THE BUSINESS END WILL

KICK IN ON MATT RYAN TOO. NO MATTER WHO THE QUARTERBACK ..... ONE DAY HE WILL BE REPLACED.

Okay. Thanks. I had no idea. I wasn't born till 1987. I just know that is the franchise leader in every major passing stat there is and it isn't even close. Just looking at his numbers and saw that he was having a good year even though the Falcons weren't winning any games. Was a knee injury the reason he missed the 2nd half of the 1976 season and 1st half of the 1977 season?

Just looking at his game logs he had some really ugly games those first few years. But after that put up some really good numbers. Of course the back-to-back 30 touchdown seasons in 1980 and 81. But that 1983 season he had was just insane. 22 touchdowns and only 5 interceptions. How come the Falcons weren't any good that year with Bartkowski putting up that kind of season?

back in those days, the falcons actually had pretty good skill players. Good WRs, good RBs, and a good QB. what we didn't have was an Oline and nobody had good medicine. The same injuries that ended careers of Bartkowski and William andrews would have been only one season and back on the job these days.

back in those days, the falcons actually had pretty good skill players. Good WRs, good RBs, and a good QB. what we didn't have was an Oline and nobody had good medicine. The same injuries that ended careers of Bartkowski and William andrews would have been only one season and back on the job these days.

The game logs have the sacks on them and I didn't pay much attention to the sacks. I just saw 230 sack yards one year and was like wow!

Just looking at his game logs he had some really ugly games those first few years. But after that put up some really good numbers. Of course the back-to-back 30 touchdown seasons in 1980 and 81. But that 1983 season he had was just insane. 22 touchdowns and only 5 interceptions. How come the Falcons weren't any good that year with Bartkowski putting up that kind of season?

BACK IN THOSE DAYS WE WERE IN THE NFC WEST. LA RAMS, 49'ERs, SAINTS AND FALCONS. THE FALCONS DURING THE PERIOD YOU WERE ASKING ABOUT, WERE A HOT AND COLD TEAM. WHEN WE WERE HOT, WE COULD BEAT ANYBODY. WHEN WE WERE COLD, WE HAD SOME LONG DAYS. MOST OF THE PROBLEM CAME FROM THE FACT THAT WE RARELY HAD THE OFFENSE AND DEFENSE HOT AT THE SAME TIME. IF THE D WAS ON, THE O WAS OFF.

BACK IN THOSE DAYS WE WERE IN THE NFC WEST. LA RAMS, 49'ERs, SAINTS AND FALCONS. THE FALCONS DURING THE PERIOD YOU WERE ASKING ABOUT, WERE A HOT AND COLD TEAM. WHEN WE WERE HOT, WE COULD BEAT ANYBODY. WHEN WE WERE COLD, WE HAD SOME LONG DAYS. MOST OF THE PROBLEM CAME FROM THE FACT THAT WE RARELY HAD THE OFFENSE AND DEFENSE HOT AT THE SAME TIME. IF THE D WAS ON, THE O WAS OFF.

You are right that it wasn't an easy division by any means back in the mid to late 80s. I still think it is awesome that in 1991 the Saints won the division and the Falcons the WC and left the Niners sitting at home for the playoffs. Also looking at that the Rams were great in the 80s and then 1990 rolled around and they were horrible. It's really funny. The Rams won 10 games in 84, 11 in 85, 10 in 86, down to 6 in 87, back to 10 in 88 and 11 in 89 and then that was it. Then 90s came and it was 5, 3, 6, 5, 4, 7, 6, 5 and 4 until 13 in 1999 when they won the SB.

You are right that it wasn't an easy division by any means back in the mid to late 80s. I still think it is awesome that in 1991 the Saints won the division and the Falcons the WC and left the Niners sitting at home for the playoffs. Also looking at that the Rams were great in the 80s and then 1990 rolled around and they were horrible. It's really funny. The Rams won 10 games in 84, 11 in 85, 10 in 86, down to 6 in 87, back to 10 in 88 and 11 in 89 and then that was it. Then 90s came and it was 5, 3, 6, 5, 4, 7, 6, 5 and 4 until 13 in 1999 when they won the SB.

IN THE 70's, THE RAMS OWNED OUR DIVISION. THEY WERE KNOWN FOR TOUGH DEFENSES,

AND HARD RUNNING OFFENSES. THE WORST THING THAT HAPPENED TO THE RAMS, WAS TO

MOVE TO ST.LOUIS. BUT THEN AGAIN, THEY MOVED FROM PHILLY TO LA. (way back there)

IN THE 70's, THE RAMS OWNED OUR DIVISION. THEY WERE KNOWN FOR TOUGH DEFENSES,

AND HARD RUNNING OFFENSES. THE WORST THING THAT HAPPENED TO THE RAMS, WAS TO

MOVE TO ST.LOUIS. BUT THEN AGAIN, THEY MOVED FROM PHILLY TO LA. (way back there)

Actually the Rams moved from Cleveland to LA. They've never played in Philly. But yeah. I agree that it was a mistake for them to leave LA. Unlike the Raiders they played in Anaheim in a much better stadium and had good attendence when they were winning.

I keep thinking the NFL isn't alinged right. Put the Rams back in LA and the Cardinals back in St. Louis and everything would feel better. :lol:

I still don't understand why the Falcons were in the West and the Cowboys in the East all those years. The Cowboys had only been playing for 6 years before the Falcons came along and you can't tell me that in those 6 years they had built up such a rivalry that they had no choice but to put them in the same division as the Giants, Eagles and Redskins.

But there is a little part of me that misses the rivalries with the Niners and Rams even if we got our ***** kicked most of the time.

WE WOULD BE KILLING THOSE GUYS NOW. WE WOULD BE THE

POWERHOUSE OF THE WEST. TRUST ME.

Yeah, we'd be killing the Rams and 49'ers but we'd still be playing second fiddle to the Saints. Oh well, we'd have only one team to catch.

And I thought we cut Bart half-way thru the '85 season. Didn't he catch on for the Rams to finish the season and the following year signed with the Redskins? I know following the '86 season he was finished.

Yeah, we'd be killing the Rams and 49'ers but we'd still be playing second fiddle to the Saints. Oh well, we'd have only one team to catch.

And I thought we cut Bart half-way thru the '85 season. Didn't he catch on for the Rams to finish the season and the following year signed with the Redskins? I know following the '86 season he was finished.

THE SAINTS AIN'T EXACTLY BEEN KINGS OF THE NFC SOUTH, HAVE THEY?

THEY HAD A GREAT YEAR LAST YEAR, BUT THINGS WON'T COME SO EASY THIS

GO ROUND. BART DID GO TO THE RAMS 1/2 WAY THROUGH 85' AND THEN TO

THE SKINS THE NEXT YEAR. BART LOOKED SO UN-FOOTBALL LIKE IN A RAMS

AND SKINS UNIFORM.

YOU ARE RIGHT. I DON'T KNOW HOW I GOT PHILLY STUCK IN MY BRAIN.

LIKE I SAID, IT WAS A LONG TIME AGO, THE COMPUTER UP THERE DON'T

WORK LIKE IT USE TOO. I WONDER IF I GOT A VIRUS IN MY BRAIN? :lol:

:lol::lol:

WE WOULD BE KILLING THOSE GUYS NOW. WE WOULD BE THE

POWERHOUSE OF THE WEST. TRUST ME.

Yeah we would. The Cardinals were only good because that division sucks.

THE SAINTS AIN'T EXACTLY BEEN KINGS OF THE NFC SOUTH, HAVE THEY?

THEY HAD A GREAT YEAR LAST YEAR, BUT THINGS WON'T COME SO EASY THIS

GO ROUND. BART DID GO TO THE RAMS 1/2 WAY THROUGH 85' AND THEN TO

THE SKINS THE NEXT YEAR. BART LOOKED SO UN-FOOTBALL LIKE IN A RAMS

AND SKINS UNIFORM.

Bartkowski started the first 5 games of the 85 season for the Falcons, was inactive for game 6 and then got cut. He signed with the Redskins to finish the 85 season but never played in a game for them. Then he signed with Rams in 86 and played in 6 games before being benched and retiring after the season.

My link

:lol::lol:

Yeah we would. The Cardinals were only good because that division sucks.

Bartkowski started the first 5 games of the 85 season for the Falcons, was inactive for game 6 and then got cut. He signed with the Redskins to finish the 85 season but never played in a game for them. Then he signed with Rams in 86 and played in 6 games before being benched and retiring after the season.

My link

IT WAS DIFFICULT TO SEE BART GO OUT LIKE THAT.

I bet it was. Give me some info on what Chris Miller's career was like. If I'm not mistaken didn't he had a bad knee injury in 92 and then had concussion problems in 93 before going to the Rams in 94.

CHRIS MILLER'S CAREER WAS A CHECKERED ONE. HE HAD A GOOD ARM. HE HAD NERVE. HE JUST DIDN'T

HAVE AN OFFENSIVE LINE. AND NO OFFENSIVE LINE DOES NOT BODE WELL FOR A QB WHO IS PRONE TO

CONCUSSIONS AND HARD HITS. A BETTER O-LINE, NO TELLING WHAT CHRIS COULD HAVE DONE.

CHRIS MILLER'S CAREER WAS A CHECKERED ONE. HE HAD A GOOD ARM. HE HAD NERVE. HE JUST DIDN'T

HAVE AN OFFENSIVE LINE. AND NO OFFENSIVE LINE DOES NOT BODE WELL FOR A QB WHO IS PRONE TO

CONCUSSIONS AND HARD HITS. A BETTER O-LINE, NO TELLING WHAT CHRIS COULD HAVE DONE.

Well I know he had to have that talent or he wouldn't have been a 1st round pick in 1987. So it sounds like the Falcons have never had a decent o-line till now. It's weird. Looking back over all the years the Falcons have had some really good offensive skill players come through here and even a few good offense lineman. It's a shame that they could never put it all together. I think about guys from just the 90s like Chris Miller, Michael Haynes, Andre Rison, Eric Metcalf and Craig Heyward. And then a couple of solid linemen like Mike Kenn and Chris Hinton.

Why did the Falcons get rid of Mike Pritchard?

1991 - 50 catches, 624 yards, 2 touchdowns

1992 - 77 catches, 827 yards, 5 touchdowns

1993 - 74 catches, 736 yards, 7 touchdowns

What about Michael Haynes? Dude put up some solid numbers especially touchdowns.

And why did Eric Metcalf bounce around so much as good as he was? After he was with the Falcons in 95 and 96 he then went to the Chargers in 97, Cardinals in 98, Panthers in 99, (Don't know what happened in 2000) Redskins in 2001 and Packers in 2002. Crazy.

Well I know he had to have that talent or he wouldn't have been a 1st round pick in 1987. So it sounds like the Falcons have never had a decent o-line till now. It's weird. Looking back over all the years the Falcons have had some really good offensive skill players come through here and even a few good offense lineman. It's a shame that they could never put it all together. I think about guys from just the 90s like Chris Miller, Michael Haynes, Andre Rison, Eric Metcalf and Craig Heyward. And then a couple of solid linemen like Mike Kenn and Chris Hinton.

IN THE NFL, A COUPLE OF SOLID OFFENSIVE LINEMEN WON'T CUT IT. IT TOOK THE

FALCONS UP TO THE PRESENT TO UNDERSTAND THAT NO MATTER HOW GOOD THE QB IS, HE

IS ONLY AS GOOD AS HIS OFFENSIVE LINE IS. IF THEY ARE "CRAPPY," THE QB IS SOON

TO FOLLOW. BACK THEN, THEY NEVER MADE A GREAT EFFORT TO DO THIS ...

AND WE PAID DEARLY FOR IT.

Sixty second Falcons history- He was physically wearing down. He was the number one pick on a bad team as is usually the case and he took his lumps, but he could sling the football down field with the best of them. When Leeman Bennett got some good wide receivers and then hit the lottery with Willaim Andrews as a 3rd round pick the Falcons were quite the offense. We also develped a very good line and we had Glanville's grits blitz.

The ownership was dysfunctional and that carried on until Blank bought the team. Just look at the head coaches that followed Bennett not to mention the wasted drafts..it is laughable.

The ownership was dysfunctional and that carried on until Blank bought the team. Just look at the head coaches that followed Bennett not to mention the wasted drafts..it is laughable.

WHEN YOU USE THE WORD "DYSFUNCTIONAL", YOU ARE BEING VERY, VERY GENEROUS.

THE POOR SMITH'S JUST DID NOT HAVE A CLUE. I THINK THEY WANTED TO WIN, BUT

THEY JUST DIDN'T KNOW HOW, AND THEY WERE TOO PROUD TO ASK SOMEBODY, OR

HIRE PEOPLE THAT KNEW. IT WAS NOT THE BEST OF TIMES. BUT WE ENDURED.

When I say hire somebody who knew,

I am speaking Front Office. We had

some good coaches. But that Front

Office could tear down anything a

coach could produce.

IN THE NFL, A COUPLE OF SOLID OFFENSIVE LINEMEN WON'T CUT IT. IT TOOK THE

FALCONS UP TO THE PRESENT TO UNDERSTAND THAT NO MATTER HOW GOOD THE QB IS, HE

IS ONLY AS GOOD AS HIS OFFENSIVE LINE IS. IF THEY ARE "CRAPPY," THE QB IS SOON

TO FOLLOW. BACK THEN, THEY NEVER MADE A GREAT EFFORT TO DO THIS ...

AND WE PAID DEARLY FOR IT.

Oh I agree. You need 5 good linemen to have a good line.

WHEN YOU USE THE WORD "DYSFUNCTIONAL", YOU ARE BEING VERY, VERY GENEROUS.

THE POOR SMITH'S JUST DID NOT HAVE A CLUE. I THINK THEY WANTED TO WIN, BUT

THEY JUST DIDN'T KNOW HOW, AND THEY WERE TOO PROUD TO ASK SOMEBODY, OR

HIRE PEOPLE THAT KNEW. IT WAS NOT THE BEST OF TIMES. BUT WE ENDURED.

When I say hire somebody who knew,

I am speaking Front Office. We had

some good coaches. But that Front

Office could tear down anything a

coach could produce.

Like Dan Reeves. He was a solid coach but was pretty bad as the GM. Although I have to give him a ton of credit for landing Todd McClure as a 7th round pick in 1999. McClure never gets the credit he deserves but he's been a solid center for a long, long time.

Oh I agree. You need 5 good linemen to have a good line.

Like Dan Reeves. He was a solid coach but was pretty bad as the GM. Although I have to give him a ton of credit for landing Todd McClure as a 7th round pick in 1999. McClure never gets the credit he deserves but he's been a solid center for a long, long time.

DAN WAS A SOLID COACH. HE KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING. AS THE GM, HE MAY HAVE BEEN OUT OF HIS SPHERE OF INFLUENCE. THE FALCONS HAVE KEPT GOOD CENTERS. McClure IS AS GOOD AS THEY COME. CREDIT OR NOT!