D.J. Shockley might end up in the UFL

hawkeye

Yah he probobly should go .. i just dont see him having a descant chance of being a starter in NFL based on what he showed in the preseason games with the falcons.

He needs real reps. 3rd string doesn't get much in TC. He is and has been a project for awhile. He only played... what, one season starting in college? He has got to still be raw. If he can start for a UFL team AND play well, he may get a better shot in the NFL.

I think it's a great idea for DJ to go to the UFL. Some people may look down on the UFL but if he didn't do this, how would he change the perception coaches have on him sitting on someone's bench? He needs to get some live action and he may be able to get it there.

We did sign Matt Bryant from the UFL. It keeps them in shape and shows their abilities. Better idea than staying 3rd string for your career and bouncing on and off the active roster and practice squad.

You're right, and it's this reason I hope the UFL is successful. Not everyone is just ripe and ready to succeed in the NFL right out of college. James Harrison was a Superbowl MVP in 2008. However he was undrafted and cut 4 times by two different teams before he got his shot to play, and even got so frustrated with it he considered just giving up football altogether. I really wish Shockley well and hope he lands on an NFL roster after this.

From NFL bench to NFL practice squad to minor league football team in Nebraska.

Talk about going from the poor house to the outhouse. Pretty much the career arc you would expect from a player as untalented as Shockley.

Next stop: Selling insurance at Seacrest Partners, LLC with former teammate David Green.

Edited by cooperbh

Talk about going from the poor house to the outhouse. Pretty much the career arc you would expect from a player as untalented as Shockley.

Next stop: Selling insurance at Seacrest Partners, LLC with former teammate David Green.

Wow Coop.......that was brutal.

Chris Redman was selling insurance before being called by the Falcons.

Yes, Warner went from a bag boy to 5 time pro bowler.

Redman went from selling insurance to being our only competent backup. I think he clearly still has a few issues, but is a really good player.

For reference, Jamjam went #1 overall just 3 years ago. We can have him for vet minimum, but he ain't worth it.

Like I said earlier, I'm sure some people will look down on DJ because he didn't have the greatest results here and he's going to a development league. It's a big possibility he will fail and will probably be selling insurance or something like that. Still, we all know this isn't always the case. There are several guys that failed at their first crack in the NFL and ended up having great careers. Who's to say DJ isn't one of them? We can't say his reality is selling insurance because we don't know how his career will turn out in the end.

More than anything, I respect him for not just giving up and quitting. It takes a lot of strength to be cut more than once and keep trying. At least if he doesn't make it he can say with 100% certainty he didn't just quit on his dream but he gave it every bit of his effort that he possibly could. Say what you will, but that means something to me and I definitely respect that. BTW, I am not a UGA fan in the least but I really hope this works for him.

Not sure JPW is all that much better than DJ but since Shockley wasn't ever going to get any kind of playing time behind Ryan and Redman, I'd rather he go somewhere he will get a chance at playing ball, even if it's in the UFL.