On the radar: Harry Douglas

Linky

On the national radar, Harry Douglas’ No. 83 is almost invisible. In Atlanta, No. 83 might be the most interesting Falcon to follow in 2010 and beyond.

Harry Douglas had 23 catches for 320 yards and a touchdown during his rookie season, but missed all of 2009 with a knee injury.

Even though the Falcons held Douglas out of team-related drills this offseason coming off his knee reconstruction, Douglas is expected to be a big part of the offense. That might sound strange for a player with only 23 career catches, but the Falcons realize he is more than just a good slot receiver.

Douglas worked the slot as a backup in 2008 and immediately won the respect of coaches and players. In 2009, Douglas’ knee injury robbed QB Matt Ryan of a value target in the middle of the field and the passing offense suffered. But there are many players and coaches in the Falcons’ organization who believe Douglas should be a starting receiver on the other side of Pro Bowler Roddy White.

The plan this summer is to work Douglas gradually into the lineup, not wanting to risk an injury setback. If he does well, the Falcons will have a formidable three-receiver set of White, Douglas and Michael Jenkins. Don’t forget Tony Gonzalez as the tight end.

If Douglas achieves the level of play the organization expects of him, he could press for Jenkins’ starting job in 2011. Douglas offers a player with great hands and run-after-the-catch ability. He averaged 13.9 yards per reception in 2008, which is two-and-a-half yards more than most slot receivers. His role in the Falcons’offense could be one of the keys to a possible 11- or 12-win season.

Man atljbo, you are quick. By the time I find and read an article, you already have it posted.

I'm really excited about Douglas and Meier. They should really help out Matt's short/ intermediate game in the slot. There is so much to be excited about this season.

Man atljbo, you are quick. By the time I find and read an article, you already have it posted.

I'm really excited about Douglas and Meier. They should really help out Matt's short/ intermediate game in the slot. There is so much to be excited about this season.

Great point! I was just think about that during my lunch break. Have a 4 WR set with:

Jenkins/Douglas (OLINE) Meier/White

That way you have speed on both sides as well as possession capabilities. That would tie the LBs up as well as keep the safeties honest in playing the middle of the field instead of shading to White because Meier is capable of tearing a seam similar to Collie in IND. Or even put TG there with White. It is just so many options now with 5 legit receiving options in White, Jenkins, HD, Gonzo, Meier. I think Ryan has no choice but to have a break out year now that he has a legit option from 1 to 5. Even Snelling is a threat out of the backfield receiving with Norwood. I think our offense has the potential to rival that of the Saints/Chargers/Colts. But more like the Chargers because we have a potent running game to complement.

Can't wait for preseason just to see a glimpse of it in action

I really, really hope he can stay healthy. One of the reasons the staff likes him is his smarts. I think he was a pre-law major or something like that at Louisville and he really sees the whole field and can digest the info in a blink which is one area a lot of young wide outs struggle with when they get to this level. Plus he's kinda quick.. :lol:

I really, really hope he can stay healthy. One of the reasons the staff likes him is his smarts. I think he was a pre-law major or something like that at Louisville and he really sees the whole field and can digest the info in a blink which is one area a lot of young wide outs struggle with when they get to this level. Plus he's kinda quick.. :lol:

I don't think Harry really has any injury history, it was just a fluke, the guys I worry about are Jerry and Moore since they've been nicked up and hurt more than a few times during their playing days. But I think they'll be okay as well. HD is gonna come back strong I think, he's one of the hardest workers on the team, he's gonna be ready to go.

But there are many players and coaches in the Falcons’ organization who believe Douglas should be a starting receiver on the other side of Pro Bowler Roddy White.

If Douglas achieves the level of play the organization expects of him, he could press for Jenkins’ starting job in 2011.

Called it!

HD is a great example of a player with excellent "football speed". While he only ran in the 4.55-4.59 40 range, he plays so fast. Just another reason to take ur eyes off the combine paper and fix them on the field.

Edited by Clowsephus

For those who doubt the FO I think this off-season is a testament to what they're on the brink of accomplishing. I don't ever remember a time when so many of our young guys were considered good prospects. If these guys can continue to develop and live up to the potential they have, great things on are the horizon.