Kerry Meier close to agreeing to terms with Falcons...

Durrty

Didn't see it posted on the first couple of pages...

Kerry Meier close to agreeing to terms with the Falcons

10:33 am July 13, 2010, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

Kerry Meier holds the Kansas school record for most career receptions.

BIRDLAND – Falcons wide receiver Kerry Meier, a fifth round draft pick, is set to come into the fold soon, according to his agent Vann McElroy.

“We’re close,” said McElroy, Meier’s Houston-based agent via phone Tuesday morning. “We’re real close.”

The Falcons do not comment about ongoing negotiations.

Meier was the 165th player taken in the 2010 NFL draft. Of the 38 fifth round picks, 28 have signed.

Atlanta Falcons rookie wide receiver Kerry Meier catches a pass during the NFL football team's minicamp in Flowery Branch, Ga., on Sunday, May 9, 2010. (Curtis Compton)

The Falcons have signed four of their six draft picks. Meier and Falcons first round draft pick Sean Weatherspoon are the remaining unsigned rookies.

“We’ll definitely have it done before training camp,” McElroy said. “We should be done with it next week.” With the players set to report for training camp on July 29, Weatherspoon’s deal could go down to the wire.

Only one player selected in the first two rounds has signed and no first round pick has signed yet.

Meier, 23, began as a quarterback at Kansas, but was switched to wide receiver in 2007. The 6-foot-2, 224-pound receiver set career (226) and single-season (102) receiving marks for the Jayhawks.

After the draft, Meier was asked about his favorite routes while at Kansas.

“I caught a lot of balls over the middle,” Meier said. “A lot of over routes, whether if they came off of a boot or a naked (boot). I caught a lot of balls over the middle, catching like digs . . . the intermediate routes. I got a lot of mileage out of catching balls over the middle.”

The competition at the wide receiver position will be fierce in training camp. After Roddy White, Michael Jenkins and Harry Douglas, there are seven players on the roster fighting for two or three spots.

The other wide receivers include Brian Finneran, Eric Weems, Troy Bergeron, Tim Buckley, Brandyn Harvey, Andy Strickland and Ryan Wolfe.

LINK

I think its strange that fifth rounder with no guarantee to even MAKE the team is still holding out for what, nickels and dimes? When you have SEVEN OTHER GUYS FIGHTING, you would think you would get it done and get ready to battle. Finn has been through this. Wolfe doesn't drop anything, Bergeron may turn it on now that he has been Cinderella for like 3 years. Weems is going to be tough. So this is no gimme at all.

Well......................

Spoon not signing makes sense. No other first rounder has. His agent is waiting to see what the others around him get and compare it to last year. He is trying to maximize the deal, and it makes sense for him. I will never get the Meier thing....................

“I caught a lot of balls over the middle,” Meier said. “A lot of over routes, whether if they came off of a boot or a naked (boot). I caught a lot of balls over the middle, catching like digs . . . the intermediate routes. I got a lot of mileage out of catching balls over the middle.”

Do you guys think he can catch over the middle?

For it to be taking so long for him to sign, when the players drafted before and after have been signed (except Weatherspoon) I think it's a sign that he is a lock for the team, more so than a stubborn agent. I don't think it's ever taken the FO this long to ink a 5th rounder.